Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/2/2022 4:40:19 PM EDT
Recently moved into new house and going to go TV shopping soon. The location above the fireplace is ~72 inches wide.  Wondering what size makes most sense?  60, 65 or 70?  Viewing distance will be about 12 feet but we could watch from the kitchen.

We are used to having TV on a console stand that is about level when sitting down.  When doing a wall mount like this is easy to adjust to looking slightly upward?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/2/2022 4:48:39 PM EDT
[#1]
TV's should be at eye level when you're sitting. Mounting above a fireplace is what people who have no idea how to properly mount a TV do.
Link Posted: 4/2/2022 5:27:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
TV's should be at eye level when you're sitting. Mounting above a fireplace is what people who have no idea how to properly mount a TV do.
View Quote
Ya this
Put the family portrait above the fireplace.

Link Posted: 4/2/2022 5:32:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well mounting in front of the fireplace doesnt work in most homes. ??
Link Posted: 4/2/2022 6:04:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd go as large as the wall space allows
Link Posted: 4/2/2022 6:20:26 PM EDT
[#5]
At a 12' viewing distance, you should be good for any available size tv

Size to distance calculator
Link Posted: 4/2/2022 6:26:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Whatever size won't listen to every conversation you have in that room.
Link Posted: 4/2/2022 7:13:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Sue your builder.  They built your house sideways.
Link Posted: 4/2/2022 7:18:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/2/2022 7:19:01 PM EDT
[#9]
It's not quite first row of a movie theater looking up but it will be higher than we are used to.  I'm checking into whether any wall mounts allow for some vertical articulation so we could lower screen somewhat in front of fireplace while watching.

The previous owner left an entertainment center that could be used but the wife doesn't like the look of a TV in the corner vs centered on a wall.
Link Posted: 4/2/2022 7:21:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 1:24:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It's not quite first row of a movie theater looking up but it will be higher than we are used to.  I'm checking into whether any wall mounts allow for some vertical articulation so we could lower screen somewhat in front of fireplace while watching.

The previous owner left an entertainment center that could be used but the wife doesn't like the look of a TV in the corner vs centered on a wall.
View Quote
A 75" screen is about the biggest thing you are going to get in that space without hanging over the edges. Sometimes you have to work with what you have, but I wouldn't sweat it. Our 65" is above the fireplace, and I hardly notice because I'm usually kicked back in the recliner looking up anyway.

Link Posted: 4/23/2022 7:26:17 PM EDT
[#12]
I ended up buying a 65 inch Sony OLED and a MantleMount.  Potato pics to follow:

Mount on wall, they include a plastic cover you can paint if you prefer covering up the mounting bracket.  I could have mounted it 2 inches lower but left some room for a sound bar in the future.
Attachment Attached File

TV pulled down, the pull down handles are a rubber that turn color once it reaches a certain temp.  I don't understand why someone would pull the TV down in front of the fireplace and run it while watching TV but to each his own.
Attachment Attached File

TV above mantle.  
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/10/2022 6:23:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Happy with my 65" OLED. OLED is so worth it.
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 7:56:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted: I don't understand why someone would pull the TV down in front of the fireplace and run it while watching TV but to each his own.
View Quote

Because a fireplace is a highly compromised location for a television/electronics and this leads to other stupid decisions.

Link Posted: 11/14/2022 8:23:16 PM EDT
[#15]
my buddy mounted his above his fireplace. but he also plays xbox and playstation. been complaining about his neck from looking up.

thinking about getting a tv. I gave mine to my nephew and last place I rented they loaned me one.  Been watching on the computer.  though that is 34 inches so its reasonable.
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 8:29:15 PM EDT
[#16]
I hate tv's above the fireplace but if I absolutely had to I'd get a Samsung Frame tv. 65" or 75" for your application.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top