Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/2/2020 2:49:34 PM EDT
I have them, somewhere between 15 and 25 lbs. I had squash for breakfast this morning, sautéed with potatoes and onions. Grilled squash for dinner tonight. I am thinking about pickling some. Help, I can only eat so much fried squash, stewed squash, squash croquettes...
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 4:56:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Slice with a mandolin. Put in zip local bag with a little oil coat in bread crumbs and parm. Bake at 350 till desired doneness. I like them a little crisp.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 5:44:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Use a spiralizer and make zucchini noodles “zoodles.”

Zucchini or squash boats. Fill with browned sloppy joe meat or browned Italian sausage and pasta sauce and top with cheese.

Zucchini bread

Summer squash frittata

If you’re close and don’t want to pickle or cook it all, I’ll offer to take some.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 5:49:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 5:52:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Bisquick and Zucchini Squares...another approved recipe

https://www.justapinch.com/recipes/side/vegetable/zucchini-and-bisquick-squares.html

Link Posted: 6/2/2020 5:58:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Sauteed Zucchini and Tomatoes

(this is sort of an Italian-American version of Okra and Tomatoes)

In a large skillet add about 1-2 oz. of olive oil. On medium heat, add 1-2 peeled/smashed garlic clove and gently simmer (do not brown or burn garlic) until fragrant then remove garlic and discard.

Add 1 chopped onion and sautee until transluscent

Add 3-4 medium zucchini thinly sliced and sautee until soft.

Add: One 15 oz. can diced tomatoes (including the juice)

1 tsp each of oregano and basil or to taste (I tend to use more oregano than basil)
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes or to taste
generous grind of fresh black pepper
a bit of salt to taste

Simmer uncovered until liquid is reduced. Top each individual serving with grated parm or romano cheese.

Link Posted: 6/3/2020 11:37:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Maybe not the same recipe, but my mom made a zucchini pie last summer
It was actually very good.   Tasted somewhat like apple pie, but probably just all the cinnamon used

Otherwise I like sautéing zucchini along with tomatoes and onions (from the garden too), plus some garlic and have that with pasta like rotini
When grilling I just coat some thick slices with olive oil and garlic/herb Weber spice and grill them.  
So when the plants are pumping out the zucchini as in the summer, will have either a couple times a week

My dad used to make a summer garden soup. Tomatoes, shredded cabbage, eggplant, potatoes, zucchini.   Maybe like a pasta fagioli or minestrone, I guess
Very good stuff

Pick them before they get too big, better texture and few or just small seeds

I like zucchini bread too
And what gets shredded up and not used gets frozen.   A lot of that goes in the dogs breakfast and dinner.  It’s good for them too
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 11:47:33 AM EDT
[#7]
My Mom used to slice them and onions on a mandolin. Pound a couple of chicken breasts and season with S&P.
Put some crushed tomatoes in casserole dish, place chicken in, little more sauce, layers of onion and zukes and parm cheese and top with remaining sauce and cover top with Mozz.
Bake in oven. She used to use veal cutlets too.

Zuchini bread

Saute with sun dried tomatoes, garlic and onions. Toss with pasta.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 11:50:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Grilled is good. Roasted is good. Typically add some oil and seasoning and boom.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 11:36:27 AM EDT
[#9]
In a saute pan:

Olive oil
Crushed red pepper to taste
Garlic - minced (I prefer a lot of garlic but YMMV)
Freshly grated nutmeg to taste
Salt & pepper
Chopped white onion - large
Equal parts zucchini, yellow squash and spinach
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 12:11:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Ratatouille

Link Posted: 6/4/2020 12:28:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Layer thinly sliced Zuch with onions and tomatoes, add salt and pepper, cover generously with parmesan cheese, and bake in the oven...makes a tasty dish.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 12:58:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Zuke Boats.  cut lengthwise, scoop out flesh like a canoe and mix it with meat mixture, put in canoe and bake with cheese.

check google, bunch of different variations. we do it pretty often.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 2:57:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Zuke Boats.  cut lengthwise, scoop out flesh like a canoe and mix it with meat mixture, put in canoe and bake with cheese.

check google, bunch of different variations. we do it pretty often.
View Quote

We love those.  My favorite variation is with Italian sausage, pasta sauce and cheese.
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 8:51:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Make up casseroles and freeze them.  We use disposable aluminum pans and then vacuum seal.
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 9:47:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Made a huge gratin of zuch, yellow squash, and onions with a Parmesan bechamel tonight. Not bad at all.

Thanks for all the ideas.

Ratatouille sounds great.
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 1:47:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Sauteed Zucchini and Tomatoes

(this is sort of an Italian-American version of Okra and Tomatoes)

In a large skillet add about 1-2 oz. of olive oil. On medium heat, add 1-2 peeled/smashed garlic clove and gently simmer (do not brown or burn garlic) until fragrant then remove garlic and discard.

Add 1 chopped onion and sautee until transluscent

Add 3-4 medium zucchini thinly sliced and sautee until soft.

Add: One 15 oz. can diced tomatoes (including the juice)

1 tsp each of oregano and basil or to taste (I tend to use more oregano than basil)
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes or to taste
generous grind of fresh black pepper
a bit of salt to taste

Simmer uncovered until liquid is reduced. Top each individual serving with grated parm or romano cheese.

View Quote

This is what I was going to suggest. The only thing I do different is add red bell pepper and drain the liquid before adding the tomatoes. I find that in cooking the juice down, the zucchini gets overcooked for my liking. Also,  not sure if you mean fresh or dried basil. Using fresh basil, I never add it until the dish is cooked and the fire is off or turned down to warm so that it retains the flavor.
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 2:20:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Sweet and spicy zucchini relish.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top