Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/1/2022 3:40:43 PM EDT
They've done lots of talk about "improvised weapons"  but no mention of just good ol' fashion defensive use of firearms.  

Shocking.  

Think i'll clean My EDC while listening

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 3:45:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Yep.  At my last one, they had a thing on "improvised weapons" (DoD), with a little icon of a man holding a hammer.
So...now there's a new Estwing framing hammer on my desk.  It gets weird looks.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 3:51:35 PM EDT
[#2]
That's one of the few corporate seminars I actually enjoyed, but everyone's is obviously different. Mine was taught by the sheriff and he started the improvised weapons segment by saying obviously nothing is as good as being armed with a gun.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 3:52:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Ummm... "Shoot back"... conference over.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 3:53:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Our parent company is in Chicago so you can guess how ours goes...
"No guns allowed on property, even in vehicles".... Wink wink....
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 3:55:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I answered that when the NYSP did ours.

I was told "that is the wrong answer".

They wanted us to throw water bottles at the shooter.

Thanks NY!
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 3:55:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Just waiting for the boss to snap
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 3:55:52 PM EDT
[#7]
I guess this shit must work though.

Has there ever been a WFH mass shooting?
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 3:56:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Teleworking my only decision about dealing with an active shooter is 9mm, .45ACP, 5.56mm or all three.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 3:57:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Thanks NY!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks NY!

Did you ask how many water bottles they carry on the average call?
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 3:59:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Yep.  At my last one, they had a thing on "improvised weapons" (DoD), with a little icon of a man holding a hammer.
View Quote

My hangar office had one door and no windows. I kept the original cam from my '95 Softail on the desk as a paperweight. Lots of people were interested in what it was, but few stopped to consider it was a pound of steel just about the size of a baseball. I was a hell of a pitcher at one point in my life, I figured I'd get one good fastball...
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 4:00:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Ours was taught by building security. The guy actually suggested people get a concealed weapon License for protection. So I asked if anyone already has one  can they carry inside the building. Dude says no.  
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 4:01:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same, and a blackjack in my backpack.  Mine is the end office; I'll have plenty of warning unless they are coming for me specifically. I'm going out the window.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 4:04:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Ours was taught by building security. The guy actually suggested people get a concealed weapon License for protection. So I asked if anyone already has one  can they carry inside the building. Dude says no.  
View Quote

So why did he bother suggesting people get a CCW?
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 4:06:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks NY!

Link Posted: 12/1/2022 4:07:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

My hangar office had one door and no windows. I kept the original cam from my '95 Softail on the desk as a paperweight. Lots of people were interested in what it was, but few stopped to consider it was a pound of steel just about the size of a baseball. I was a hell of a pitcher at one point in my life, I figured I'd get one good fastball...
View Quote

I kept the output shaft from my wife's XJ when we did the SYE eliminator on it, specifically for that reason. Thing is BEEFY.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 4:15:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Raise hand: “what about non-improvised weapons?”
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 4:20:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Holy shit!! They mentioned Eli Dickens In the “fight” segment of  “run, hide,fight” !  But yet still haven’t discussed the personal carry of firearms and why our organizational policy prevents it.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 4:21:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Well, if you don't have a proper weapon, it might be best (at least in some cases) to use bare hands vs improvised weapon.

If you are close enough, gaining control of his weapon is more important that hitting him with some crap improvised weapon.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 4:22:32 PM EDT
[#19]
My boss told me im responsible for my own safety and to go write off a handgun
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 4:22:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Holy shit!! They mentioned Eli Dickens In the “fight” segment of  “run, hide,fight” !  But yet still haven’t discussed the personal carry of firearms a ms why our organizational policy prevents it.
View Quote

My org's policy is no knife with blade over 2.5".
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 4:24:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
They've done lots of talk about "improvised weapons"  but no mention of just good ol' fashion defensive use of firearms.  

Shocking.  

Think i'll clean My EDC while listening

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/171734/7A412DA0-0143-4451-8D93-014938BD35AC_jpe-2620218.JPG
View Quote

Whats wrong with you.  Where is the threaded barrel?
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 4:34:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Our policy is "shoot back". I carry at work daily, and for a long time had an AMD65 with 5 mags hidden under my desk. We're a pretty small company though. In a previous life when I worked at a massive consumer products company I had to listen to that horse****.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 4:40:05 PM EDT
[#23]
You guys ever think about working for a smaller company?  The firearms policy at my company is that if you forgot yours and something goes down, then you're the one responsible for getting the office shotgun.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 4:56:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's just wrong man, you could hurt someone like that.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 4:57:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

So are you supposed to give them a paper cut?
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 4:59:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Haha I had to do one of those a few years ago when I managed a large medical practice. Someone mentioned ‘I’ll be shooting back’ and then another 3-4 people piped up and said the same.

I made it clear that as long as I was in charge, safe responsible carry was not only allowed but encouraged.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 5:02:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Strangely enough, same business.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 5:07:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Huge multinational Corp employer.
You can guess what company policy is…

Let’s just say, concealed is concealed.
I can get another job in a week. Can’t get another life.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 5:15:04 PM EDT
[#29]
I sat through my company's active shooter training last month. There was a lot of talk about hiding, barricading doors, turning lights off and if confronted by the shooter try to "talk him out of shooting anyone" and then as a cherry on top they discussed fighting as a last resort and to use office supplies as improvised weapons. Absolutelynothing about using a real gun to defend yourself.

The entire thing focused on the office drones who have to be told to breathe otherwise they forget and suffocate. Nothing was directed to people like me who are out in the field.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 5:26:40 PM EDT
[#30]
"Why not just shoot him before he shoots you?"
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 5:27:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Four years running, the video hasn't changed. it the same shit. Worst bit: during an active shooter alert, the company will shut down all elevators

Four years running, I've asked the same question: If you shut down the elevators, how do the disabled get out of the building safely.

...crickets.

m
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 5:28:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Work for a college..... so while state law allows me to keep it in my car, can't have it otherwise.  Have big old fashioned IBM Model M keyboard that feels like solid steel and weighs a few pounds....

On the other hand, I'm in a back corner of a back hallway right near a rather secure exit-only door that pops me right out into the parking lot about 100 feet from my car...

Even if I were carrying, my plan would be to unass the area unless directly confronted.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 5:28:08 PM EDT
[#33]
I guess my seminars are a lil different……

Of course, we talk about going in, not shooting friendlies and stopping the threat.

May fuck be upon those Uvalde pussies who did not.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 5:32:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've worked security in several offices.

Don't ask if you're allowed to carry.

I would have been annoyed if an Arfcommer spoke up asking if they could carry when it's probably clearly stated to the contrary in their employee handbook right after I recommend that they get their CCW because guess what, security doesn't care if you're carrying as long as they can't see it and they don't have to stop you from doing it. And they're probably carrying too even if they're "unarmed" and would lose their jobs if someone found out.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 5:35:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Concealed is concealed.

If it comes to a time that it needs to be revealed, I obviously have bigger problems on my hands than the company firing me.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 5:40:59 PM EDT
[#36]
WWHSD?

Han Solo
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 5:49:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Very nice EDC homey.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 6:02:57 PM EDT
[#38]
I have to sit through a similar mandatory class every year. The funny thing is that the class is tailored for your typical unarmed employee and not for armed security. So here we are being told to "Run Hide Fight(last resort of course) while armed with AR's,  and we have to take the test as if we aren't actually armed. It's pretty pointless, I always point out to our trainers that they got the order backwards.(I then get told to shut up)
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 6:05:47 PM EDT
[#39]
There is a poster with all that run, hide, fight crap in our break room. I find it funny as and we can carry guns at work
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 6:09:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

I won many many handball tournaments as a young man. I truly enjoyed zinging "kill shots"  that simply couldn't be returned. The other day I picked up a rock half the size of a handball off the pool deck and took a long gliding step and zinged that fucker like I did fifty years ago. I wanted to go to the hospital. Point is throwing stuff at bad guys is a bad idea.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 6:17:26 PM EDT
[#41]
My agency's active shooter policy:
1) make immediate entry and move as quickly as possible to the threat.
2) proceed to shoot the threat until it stops.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 6:39:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you could kill yourself with it if captured ...

You should be able to kill the bad guy with it too ...

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 7:19:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IYKYK

Link Posted: 12/1/2022 7:23:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I guess this shit must work though.

Has there ever been a WFH mass shooting?
View Quote

I shot a squirrel on my back fence during a teams meeting.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 7:25:37 PM EDT
[#45]
At my previous job we had fire drill training, evacuate and meet at muster point.  Followed immediately by shooter training, run and hide.  I ask what if the shooter pulled the fire alarm?
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 8:50:58 PM EDT
[#46]
at my previous employment, weapons were forbidden.  they even brought in sniffer dogs occasionally. so when the subject of unarmed resistance came up I just pointed to one of the many fire extinguishers.  maybe if instead of hiding and waiting four or five of us could spread out with extinguishers  and hit the bad guy with them all at once. with luck we could rob him of his oxygen and his sight, then we could beat him to death with the empty bottles.   or maybe throw water bottles and shoes at him.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 9:04:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
My agency's active shooter policy:
1) make immediate entry and move as quickly as possible to the threat.
2) proceed to shoot the threat until it stops.
View Quote

Pretty much the same with my current gig. They also added if the bad guy is actively engaged with you, they’re not shooting at innocents…of course several of us raised our hands and said pretty much the same thing, “but I’m an innocent little angel”. Followed up by a loud bullshit from our instructors.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 9:17:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
At my previous job we had fire drill training, evacuate and meet at muster point.  Followed immediately by shooter training, run and hide.  I ask what if the shooter pulled the fire alarm?
View Quote

It will be like shooting geese in a dresser.  

Link Posted: 12/1/2022 9:19:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Fuck all the lawyers and HR personnel that would disarm you. They won't have to be there when someone is shooting up the office. If I was the owner I'd want as many CCW's in the building as possible.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 10:29:22 PM EDT
[#50]
I told my grandson that if there was a school shooting, think for himself. Escape if he can. If he cant escape, grab a fire extinguisher,
hide, and if the shooter finds him, dump the fire extinguisher in his face. When it's empty beat him with it.
No body will walk thru a dry chem fire extinguisher
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top