Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/8/2022 12:35:21 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 12:57:03 PM EDT
[#1]
iFly gps software does that.  Phone screenshot....

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 1:12:05 PM EDT
[#2]
It also does 3D synthetic vision.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 1:40:10 PM EDT
[#3]
thats pretty cool! i asked about that somweher, dont remember an answer..
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 1:56:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 2:09:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Awesome, thank you very much, that seems to be exactly what I needed!
View Quote

You can download the software and use it free for a short time, if you want to play with it.  They have a version for most platforms.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 4:07:12 PM EDT
[#6]
If you are specifically looking for the Long Island (JFK to Montauk) chart shown in your screenshot here it is.  This is from ForeFlight.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 4:11:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 4:16:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 4:42:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Well, damn, that's exactly what I was trying to do, thanks. If I can manipulate the scale and perspective, extra winning for me.

View Quote

I can zoom in on it. Not sure if I can do a Synthetic Vision version of it from the virtual sky but I’ll see what I can do.

EDIT: I just tried and can’t get it to work. The synthetic vision would work but my iPad gives me my present position. I don’t know how to simulate flying that leg and convincing the internal GPS that it was over KJFK.  Sorry someone else might have some ideas on that.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 4:50:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Not sure how helpful the zoom is on the profile view but here is an example.

If I could get synthetic vision to let me fly that leg you could see it from the air.

Actually not sure if synthetic vision shows airspace. It does not show it around my present location, so if that is a feature I don’t know how to use it.  I do get airspace alerts when flying.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 5:10:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 5:32:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Glad I could help!
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 6:42:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Garmin Pilot also does this...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 10:38:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If you are specifically looking for the Long Island (JFK to Montauk) chart shown in your screenshot here it is.  This is from ForeFlight.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/899/3CCE1D61-4DCE-4C02-A2DE-1905E64ACA5A_jpe-2271690.JPG
View Quote

Where do you find that in ff? I only have a basic membership and ive never seen that, maybe thats why.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 10:52:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Where do you find that in ff? I only have a basic membership and ive never seen that, maybe thats why.
View Quote

Flight plan, profile. Yes you need the upgraded FF plan.

It’s great for briefing flights for obstacles. Of course that only works if you fly the planned course, and does not work direct enter enter.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 8:55:58 PM EDT
[#16]
You guys must be buying a higher level of service than I pay for...
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 2:23:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Basic VFR package on iFly.  $80/year.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 3:45:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Garmin Pilot basic is $100/year. Even though I'm a VFR only pilot, I wanted obstacle and terrain alerts, and I'm addicted to the Safe-Taxi chart feature, so I pay an add'l $79/year for that.

Even at a total cost of $179/year that's barely more than one hour of 172 time. Well worth it, IMHO, especially if you take the time to learn the tool. I've tried almost every EFB tool out there and either Pilot or Foreflight are so much better than anything else available it's just not worth cheaping out.

Personally I like Pilot much more than Foreflight. There are certain things that FF is better at, but overall Garmin Pilot wins the day for me.

Garmin is now supporting certain Stratus ADS-B receivers, so if you didn't want to shell out for a Garmin GDL, or don't live in a Garmin cockpit, there's no longer that issue vis a vis Pilot versus Foreflight.

If you live in Garmin cockpit, Pilot wins hands down.

If you fly the bigger stuff, now that Garmin has bought fltplan.com you can integrate all the cool guy, big plane fltplan.com stuff with Pilot.

Not sure who wins out for those flying in a Pro Line or Honeywell environment. Those folks have their own apps and live in a world of dispatchers and data links, I suppose
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 4:49:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Here's another example of Garmin Pilot except this is the iOS version:

I freaking love it.  With my Sirius XM subscription I can listen to satellite radio in the air through my GDL-52 unit natively in the Garmin Pilot app, and I can send text messages to my wife through my connected Garmin In-Reach Mini through the Connext portion of the app.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 9:21:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Garmin Pilot basic is $100/year. Even though I'm a VFR only pilot, I wanted obstacle and terrain alerts, and I'm addicted to the Safe-Taxi chart feature, so I pay an add'l $79/year for that.

Even at a total cost of $179/year that's barely more than one hour of 172 time. Well worth it, IMHO, especially if you take the time to learn the tool. I've tried almost every EFB tool out there and either Pilot or Foreflight are so much better than anything else available it's just not worth cheaping out.

Personally I like Pilot much more than Foreflight. There are certain things that FF is better at, but overall Garmin Pilot wins the day for me.

Garmin is now supporting certain Stratus ADS-B receivers, so if you didn't want to shell out for a Garmin GDL, or don't live in a Garmin cockpit, there's no longer that issue vis a vis Pilot versus Foreflight.

If you live in Garmin cockpit, Pilot wins hands down.

If you fly the bigger stuff, now that Garmin has bought fltplan.com you can integrate all the cool guy, big plane fltplan.com stuff with Pilot.

Not sure who wins out for those flying in a Pro Line or Honeywell environment. Those folks have their own apps and live in a world of dispatchers and data links, I suppose
View Quote

Have you ever tried iFly?
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 10:32:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes. It has a few clever features but it is not even close to being in the same class as Pilot or FF. FF is overpriced, but Pilot is only $20 more per year than iFly and well worth it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 10:58:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yes. It has a few clever features but it is not even close to being in the same class as Pilot or FF. FF is overpriced, but Pilot is only $20 more per year than iFly and well worth it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just curious.  I've never tried anything else to compare.   I like having the dedicated device, and it's more than adequate for the flying I do.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 8:04:42 AM EDT
[#23]
If you have a tablet you should try Pilot. It's got a 30 day trial. However, all of these tools are quite complex. To give any of them a fair shake you need to explore the tool quite extensively, you can't just sit down for 5 minutes and say "this sucks". This is especially true because they all use very different UI designs. When I tried each tool I spent more than a few days with each. That includes iFly, Avare, DroidEFB, FltPlan Go, and FF. Only Pilot and FLtPlan Go remain on my tablet, the latter because it has some interesting briefing and filing capabilities, not because I use it while flying. FF is good, but it's iOS only and I am pure fleet Android here.

I also use AviaWeather for a quick look at METARS, MyRadar for radar, and MyFlightBook for logging. I don't like the built in logging in Pilot.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 11:55:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
If you have a tablet you should try Pilot. It's got a 30 day trial. However, all of these tools are quite complex. To give any of them a fair shake you need to explore the tool quite extensively, you can't just sit down for 5 minutes and say "this sucks". This is especially true because they all use very different UI designs. When I tried each tool I spent more than a few days with each. That includes iFly, Avare, DroidEFB, FltPlan Go, and FF. Only Pilot and FLtPlan Go remain on my tablet, the latter because it has some interesting briefing and filing capabilities, not because I use it while flying. FF is good, but it's iOS only and I am pure fleet Android here.

I also use AviaWeather for a quick look at METARS, MyRadar for radar, and MyFlightBook for logging. I don't like the built in logging in Pilot.
View Quote

It will be interesting to see where these companies (Garmin versus Boeing/FF) end up going in the market.

My logs are all electronic and in FF, so unless I can easily migrate them there is huge incentive for staying in FF.

And the price difference is what, a tenth of an AMU per year?  That’s nothing in aviation.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 12:05:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

The main reason I went with iFly is that I didn't want to use a tablet.  I like the daylight viewable screen on the iFly.  I have the software on my phone and PC also.  I need to settle on a logging app though.  I haven't found one that's clean and simple enough to suite me.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 2:05:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

It will be interesting to see where these companies (Garmin versus Boeing/FF) end up going in the market.

My logs are all electronic and in FF, so unless I can easily migrate them there is huge incentive for staying in FF.

And the price difference is what, a tenth of an AMU per year?  That’s nothing in aviation.
View Quote

I bounced between FF and Garmin Pilot for a few years.  Transferring logbooks back and forth between the 2 became a royal pain in the ass.  So, I ended up just exporting my logs into a custom spreadsheet that I made, with a data entry page that looks exactly like my paper logbook, and a report page that mimics the Foreflight logbook report page.

Maybe not quite as convenient for quick entries navigating excel on my phone/tablet, but I like knowing that I'm in full control of where that data is saved.  I also like not feeling tied down to any certain EFB now, even though I've used Garmin exclusively for the past 2 years.
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 12:03:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

work covers my service plan
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top