Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/29/2021 10:32:44 AM EDT
or wraps, but I don't feel like spending a ton of time wrapping up.

I've been going heavier lately on squats and deadlifts and want to take precautions for my knees.

my goal is 1500 this year for the trifecta.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 2:52:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I need to replace my rehbands pretty badly. Poor things are about 10yrs old and have been through the wash a few times. I'm leaning towards the stoic sleeves. Most guys at my gym use the sbd's but I can't see any difference between them other than $20.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 3:06:07 PM EDT
[#2]
My wife just ordered some 5mm Rogue knee sleeves, they should be here in a couple days. I'll let you know what I think of them.

I'm in the same boat as you OP, thinking of using them as a precaution on the heavier sets.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 3:31:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Had the Rhabands or whatever theyre called.

Replaced with Stoics and i have been very pleased with them. Tighter and longer than the others and the construction is excellent.

I learned about them form the Untaimed Strenght guy and from @Kaik , and if Kaik cant break them then they are good shit.

I do use wraps at weights above #405 though, but they do take time and some effort to get right.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 4:06:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Replaced with Stoics and i have been very pleased with them. Tighter and longer than the others and the construction is excellent.

I learned about them form the Untaimed Strenght guy and from @Kaik , and if Kaik cant break them then they are good shit.

I do use wraps at weights above #405 though, but they do take time and some effort to get right.
View Quote

are sleeves not going to do me any good at those weights?  this is more of a precaution, as I've torn the distal tendons on both of my arms almost exactly a year apart july 2020 and july 2019.  so i have been a lot more mindful of how my joints feel during my workouts.

i did 455 yesterday a few times and it felt really good so I'm moving to surpass 500 this year after my long recovery from my bicep tendons.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 4:25:26 PM EDT
[#5]
sleeves squeeze your knees and help keep them warm. In some cases, if they are super tight you may get some rebound assistance out of the hole.

Wraps do the same thing as sleeves but they also give you more rebound out of the hole. if that makes sense.

So it's less about safety and more about technique and your goals in squatting.

Also, for competition some rules allow wraps and some dont. So that's an aspect if tour looking at competition
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 4:38:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
sleeves squeeze your knees and help keep them warm. In some cases, if they are super tight you may get some rebound assistance out of the hole.

Wraps do the same thing as sleeves but they also give you more rebound out of the hole. if that makes sense.

So it's less about safety and more about technique and your goals in squatting.

Also, for competition some rules allow wraps and some dont. So that's an aspect if tour looking at competition
View Quote

All other things equal, are you saying that guy A squatting 400lbs with sleeves or wraps isn't any more protected/safe than guy B squatting 400lbs with nothing?

Genuine question.

My squat is getting into uncharted territory for me, still feels good, but I'm very interested in avoiding injury.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 4:46:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

All other things equal, are you saying that guy A squatting 400lbs with sleeves or wraps isn't any more protected/safe than guy B squatting 400lbs with nothing?

Genuine question.

My squat is getting into uncharted territory for me, still feels good, but I'm very interested in avoiding injury.
View Quote
I'd offer that both wraps and sleeves add some measure of security and safety to a lifter. Hard to quantify how much, or if some of its mental and some physiological.

I generally warm up in sleeves and wear wraps for working sets. For accessory work like box squats, chains, pause squats etc I generally use sleeves regardless of the weight being used as wraps would be counterproductive to working on weaknesses in the lift.

maybe someone smarter than me has more data. I'm just a guy who squats a bit sometimes.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 5:14:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'd offer that both wraps and sleeves add some measure of security and safety to a lifter. Hard to quantify how much, or if some of its mental and some physiological.

I generally warm up in sleeves and wear wraps for working sets. For accessory work like box squats, chains, pause squats etc I generally use sleeves regardless of the weight being used as wraps would be counterproductive to working on weaknesses in the lift.

maybe someone smarter than me has more data. I'm just a guy who squats a bit sometimes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Genuine question.

Roger that, thanks.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 6:37:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Mine are still good to go. One even went underwater in a hurricane.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 7:29:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just ordered a pair, thanks guys.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 3:42:39 AM EDT
[#11]
I don’t use knee sleeves, but I do use elbow sleeves and it has helped a lot with pain after workouts. I think the increase in circulation from the compression is beneficial.

I assume knee sleeves would have a similar result.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 1:17:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Had the 5 and 7mm Rehbands.  Good compression and warmth, but 7mm has a lot of material bunched up behind your knee in a squat, also, neoprene doesn't breath so they start to stink pretty quick.

https://store.hookgrip.com/shop/hookgrip-knee-sleeves-2-0-all-variations-pair/

These have a little less compression but good warmth, breath better and have minimal material.

Link Posted: 1/31/2021 10:33:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Had the 5 and 7mm Rehbands.  Good compression and warmth, but 7mm has a lot of material bunched up behind your knee in a squat, also, neoprene doesn't breath so they start to stink pretty quick.

https://store.hookgrip.com/shop/hookgrip-knee-sleeves-2-0-all-variations-pair/

These have a little less compression but good warmth, breath better and have minimal material.

View Quote

I'm intrigued by these Hook Grip knee sleeves. Any other comments or pro/cons?
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 11:25:55 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm very happy with my Evolution Athletics 7mm sleeves.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 12:44:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Stoics arrived yesterday, I like them.

I followed their sizing instructions and they are exactly as snug as I'd hoped they'd be (I was right in the middle of a large, and ordered a large).

I wouldn't order them a size down unless you like them reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally tight.

Looking forward to squatting on Tuesday.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top