Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/19/2022 11:01:00 AM EDT
this problem doesnt happen at all with the monitor on my desktop PC

I was using this monitor on a desktop PC, now using it on my work laptop and the mouse is just sluggish.  I've tried monkeying with mouse settings and its not really any help.
I thought it may be the laptops video card may just not be all that great so I changed the resolution to just 1920x1080 and its still bad.

as i said, this problem doesnt happen at all with the monitor on my desktop PC, even using the same exact mouse.

anything I can do?  is it still the video card even though Ive reduced it from 4k down to 1080p?  (even tried at 1024x768, same thing, something else has GOT to be wrong here)
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 11:06:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Did you set the mouse DPI up higher?  It might be the monitor has enough pixels that the mouse command to move doesn't actually move much on the monitor.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 11:10:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Is it a TV and not a monitor? You may need to put it in "Game Mode" or let it know it's on a PC to reduce input lag.

Another common issue is laptop HDMI outputs that can only do 30 Hz at 4k, or TV inputs that only accept 30 Hz, which will cause things to feel a bit stuttery.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 11:12:05 AM EDT
[#3]
its always after you publicly ask for help that you find it.

its a refresh rarte problem.  my laptops hdmi can only do 30hz over the hdmi when at 4k.  I found that by reducing the resolution to 2560x1440 I was able to set 60hz and its MUCH better.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 1:42:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
its always after you publicly ask for help that you find it.

its a refresh rarte problem.  my laptops hdmi can only do 30hz over the hdmi.  I found that by reducing the resolution I was able to 2560x1440 I was able to set 60hz and its MUCH better.
View Quote

Sounds like your laptop is HDMI 1.4. If you change your chroma to 4:2:0 in the graphics driver settings it should do 4k 60hz. The downside will be text will look blurry, but it may look better overall than using an interpolated resolution like 1440p on a 4k display.

Does your laptop have displayport? You may want to use that instead. Displayport 1.2 or newer can do 4k 60hz with 4:4:4 chroma
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top