Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/2/2020 10:12:09 PM EDT
my local brew your own shop likes to use crystal malts but i dont care for the sweet taste.

what malts would be good to use to get a light color like commercial ipa’s?
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 3:32:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Crystal malts are only a portion of your malt bill, maybe 10%.  They are probably using basic 2-row malted barley as one of the base grains, and may have something else like Vienna in there.
If you want the IPA to come out drier, you could reduce the amount of crystal malts that they include, or mash at a lower temperature.

Take it FWIW, I don't even brew beer anymore.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 7:41:33 PM EDT
[#2]
In general:  a crystal or caramel malt with the lower number (crystal 20*l  vs crystal 60*l) will color the beer less.

Do some reading, I like John Palmer's book over Charlie Pappazian's.  Also, search for clone recipes of beers you like and see what malts are being used in those clones.

I have only been homebrewing 3 years, but I read first, and watched videos before I started.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 12:48:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Use 2 row malt and some carapils I use about 1 pound per 10 pounds of base malt.

Hop it to your desired IBU and you'll have a basic IPA.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 4:12:40 PM EDT
[#4]
My "standard brew" is 9# 2 row, 1/2# carapils, 1/2# crystal 20 or 40.  An easily modified recipe, and mostly just with hop or yeast choices and amounts.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 1:09:41 AM EDT
[#5]
No response from OP.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 1:57:08 PM EDT
[#6]
My next brew is a Surly Axe man clone (my wife current favorite and $$$ for a four pack).  The malt bill is 100% golden promise.  

In doing research for this brew it seems like there are quiet a few home brewers using a 100% golden promise as an IPA base.  Tentative brew date end of the month, I'll report back on my results but the Surly one is nice, good malty backbone and color without that cloying sweetness you sometimes find.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top