Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/26/2020 10:26:53 AM EDT
So my inlaws bought my kid and nephew a pair of those Chinese kid size ATVs. issues with ignition. he replaced the ignition switch once but still having issues. the netural light is intermittent so that might have something to do with it. you have to fiddle with the key to get it to stay lit so you can crank.
Can you replace the ignition switch with some thing else?

you have to pull the hand brake to start it. could  that switch be the problem? where is the switch that tells the starter the hand brake is pulled?

Any help is appreciated.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 11:46:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Ive heard nothing but bad things about these. Usually wiring related. At least you have two so you can swap parts from one to the other and see what you need to buy.

My advice would be get them running well enough to sell and buy a name brand one.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 12:05:32 PM EDT
[#2]
You will have to diagnose the wiring. It kind of sounds like an intermittent neutral safety switch but the only way to know is to use a test light and multi meter to test everything in the start circuit.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 11:08:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I would bypasses the ignition key,  brake and neutral safeties.
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 12:08:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I have one I got for free and after about $300 parts it works fine for what it is. The switch for the brakes is integrated with the starter circuit. You have to pretty much re wire it to eliminate the brake start interlock. I did on mine. The netural light should be on solid or you don't have good power to the cdi/coil. Check the switch and fuse holder. My fuse holder was corroded and got replaced. The fuse is by the battery. The one I have only had a brake interlock. They have always started in gear. The switch is on the front brakes handle but if you jump that switch your brake light will always be on.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top