Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2021 9:16:41 PM EDT
ordered on Thanksgiving and just got it today.  full custom pioneer cut 10mm.

got to use it today and all i can say is that it's worth every penny.  before this i was using a cheapo valeo belt from dicks for a long time.  even cinching that down as tight as i could get it there was a lot of deflection.  this belt lets you stabilize and be much more confident in your squats (haven't done deads yet)

Link Posted: 1/7/2021 11:05:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 3:06:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
At what point should you use a belt?  I'm always concerned about injury.

ETA - maybe I should say, at what point should it be mandatory?
View Quote

it honestly depends on your form really.

personally i throw the belt on when i have more than 2 plates on each side.

where it helps also is if you try and "catch" yourself during a rep.  say you lean too far forward during a squat or you locked your legs to soon during a deadlift and you just do a sudden correction, it can help from pulling something or getting a hernia.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 3:15:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote
A belt is a tool to help you increase your intra-abdominal pressure during a lift, its something for you to press your core against during the movement.

The point where it is better for a lifting to use this tool is dependent on the lifter themselves, how much pressure can they generate and sustain with or without that extra "thing" to push against. Some experienced/ strong lifters can generate great pressure even under heavy lifts, relatively weaker lifters need that extra pressure to achieve similar results.

Depending on your goals, how and why you use a belt may be different. Personally I want to lift BIG weights, the faster/easiest way for me to hit big totals is by using a belt, a stronger lifter could hit my same weights without that belt, but thats just how it is. If your goal is less hitting big totals and more building a strong body, then maybe how you use a belt would be different. I use my stuff on the last warm up reps, that being a belt, sleeves/wraps; due to that is how I will be hitting my working sets and how ultimately I will be hitting heavier weights.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 4:11:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice. A good heavy belt is a beautiful thing, and rarely seen in stores. Those belts that are skinny in the front are IMO close to worthless.

Link Posted: 1/7/2021 4:15:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got a 4" 13mm pioneer cut belt that I absolutely love. The amount of adjustment is fantastic and they're extremely well made.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 5:11:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 5:50:19 PM EDT
[#7]
My gf got one of the pioneer glitter belts during their annual sale.  

She loves it.
I hate it because it sheds glitter and I refuse to let her put it in my gym bag.

Besides the glitter it is an awesome lever belt.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 7:42:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thanks for the info.  I really tighten my core (push against an invisible belt/wall), but when I hit about 265 on squats I went down on the first rep after warmups and felt a weird pain on the left, near my diaphram.  Searching webMD was inconclusive, so I took a week off and when I restarted I was more careful/cautious about form, breathing and how hard/where I pressed/squeezed in my core.

When I got up around 285 and started running out of plates, I decided to video myself and on review decided form was okay (bar was in the right location and moving smoothly up/down), but I wasn't going down deep enough.  So I dropped about 50 lbs from the bar and started working deeper squats, which after the initial adjustment felt fine.

Then came fall when we're stupid busy, fell off my regimen and restarting Monday sucked.  1 plate/side felt like nothing, 2 plates/side was tough but okay on the final warmup set, but 100lbs/side just didn't feel right in my knees - like I was pushing too much at the knee and not at the hip.  On top of that, my left rotator cuff hurt holding the bar behind my neck because it wasn't stretched out good (it also often hurts on OHP).  I ended up dropping to 185 to finish out the 5 sets and was generally unhappy with the workout.  I think I only did 205 on DL.

Sorry for running on - just frustrated with the regression and always worried about starting back, not realizing how stiff/weak I've gotten, and worried about injury.  The belt made me think about gear other than weights & rack.
View Quote

no worries that's what the forum is all about.

i felt a slight weird pain/not pain below my belly button and to the left i was worried was a hernia while i was using my cheap valeo belt.  i was doing 4 something on squats and tried to over correct for a lean.   i took it easy after that and feel fine now.   but after any injury there is always that doubt in the back of your mind when you feel any little thing.  I've torn the bicep tendons on both arms and now get leery when I'm doing any heavy arm workout.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 7:44:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Good looking belt OP.  Now go get swole.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 9:17:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

My ROT is somewhere around bodyweight on the bar, I'll think about putting it on.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 5:36:23 AM EDT
[#11]
I generally put my belt on at the point I have to switch from double overhand to alternating grip on deadlift, and/or when I’m squatting/OHP about 75-85% of 1RM and higher, OR if I’m doing stupid volume like 15-20 reps at 50%.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 4:49:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top