User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/5/2019 2:24:41 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 7:49:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Interesting for sure.
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 12:07:19 AM EDT
[#2]
I know a couple of really happy guys now.
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 1:58:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Guess I'll have pizza today instead of salad
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 2:01:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Somebody walked through the terminal and figured out "If we do a sleep apnea requirement AND a Diabetes test, we will be down to about 12 guys."
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 6:56:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Somebody walked through the terminal and figured out "If we do a sleep apnea requirement AND a Diabetes test, we will be down to about 12 guys."
View Quote
That crossed my mind at KATL yesterday.  The few slim pilots stood out
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 6:41:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 1:57:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'll never forget my mother-in-law admiring my appearance in uniform once. No bullshit she asked me if every pilot was in great shape like me. I was sincerely taken aback and momentarily confused. One, because I wasn't in all that great of shape at the time. And, two, because there's such an obviously high percentage of morbidly obese pilots. I actually thought that sweet woman was fucking with me.
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 4:07:03 PM EDT
[#8]
How does having Type 2 diabetes affect getting a private pilot’s license? I’ve had it for 9 years now and have to renew my commercial driver’s medical card yearly because of it instead of every other year, but it’s otherwise straightforward. I control it with a pill twice a day, exercise, and low-carb eating.
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 6:32:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
How does having Type 2 diabetes affect getting a private pilot’s license? I’ve had it for 9 years now and have to renew my commercial driver’s medical card yearly because of it instead of every other year, but it’s otherwise straightforward. I control it with a pill twice a day, exercise, and low-carb eating.
View Quote
Nothing is ever easy with the FAA.  I understand if your type 2 is controlled with diet you can get a waiver.  You would likely need to get letters from your beetus doc and an FAA doc and then jump through some hoops, doable tho
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 12:39:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 12:52:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Insulin dependent is the issue. I don’t want a hypoglycemic pilot.
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 3:15:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good point.

I don't want to be around hypoglycemic drivers, but I'm sure that I'm surrounded by them every day at work. I know several diabetic drivers at work who eat nothing but sugary, starchy snack from the time they clock-in until the end of their shifts. "Gotta' make sure I don't have a glucose-crash", as they stuff a Snickers into their mouths and wash it down with a Coke.

I guess they'll get a clue when their feet rot off the end of their legs, or maybe not.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top