Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/16/2018 11:38:18 AM EDT
I have a relatively new home and I had a socket installed for an IR flood light. The work was done by a pro electrician and they installed a switch in the garage. The issue is, since it is for an IR flood it doesn't need to be on all day.

I'm trying to install a honeywell rpls740b programmable switch in place of a single classic light switch.

From the wall...looks like a single insulated bundle coming to a plastic box. There is a ground, white (neutral?), Red, and black. All but ground used in exisitng switch. The Honeywell has a blue (load), black (line), and white (neutral).

I can't figure out the wiring. I did the obvious, white/white, black/black, red/blue but no power to new switch.

The new switch is single pole only. I think this is a single pole situation but don't know. The garage switch is on the breaker for a 2nd story bonus room. So...did that do something?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 12:01:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like you are trying to replace a 3way sw with your new programmable one. Is there another sw controlling this light?
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 12:30:14 PM EDT
[#2]
No, but I'll be honest, I'm stupid when it comes to electricity...so, possible I'm wrong.

The only switch is in the garage but the unknown variable is it is connected to the bonus room breaker. Does that mean it could be tied in at the breaker or loops through the bonus room 'circuit'?
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 12:31:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Added for clarification...the white wire in the box was capped off, not connected to the switch.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 12:41:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Added for clarification...the white wire in the box was capped off, not connected to the switch.
View Quote
Possible white neutral isn't actually connected at the other end. You need to find out where he ran it from. Usually closest outlet.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 1:17:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Can I test the white? I have a multimeter (in packaging )
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 5:20:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I put in a couple of Leviton digital times and with a three way you'll need a compatible matching remote switch.

<<<< not an electrician
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 10:43:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm almost positive it isn't a 3-way. Unless the neutral means it is.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 9:10:32 AM EDT
[#8]
First, it sounds like it’s a switch loop. Meaning power goes to the light’s junction box first, then down the 3 wire cable. So black should be line, red should be load. White should be neutral, but may not have been connected in the light’s junction box.

I would go check the junction box for the light and see what’s connected to what I’m there. I’m betting you find the neutral capped.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 8:12:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks, I'll check. If I can get pictures I'll add them.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 8:35:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Doesn't your IR light have triggering that is only active at night?
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 9:59:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Well it seems like the neutral wasn't connected. I tried two different switches, neither worked.

Oh well..thanks for the advice all!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top