Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/5/2021 12:36:18 AM EDT
I need to add some storage to backup some KVM VMs.

The storage I want to use is on my FreeNAS box.

Should I just make an NFS share? Or is there any benefit to do this with iSCSI instead?

All of the backups run at night. At present, they all back up to Amazon S3, but I want to add another backup.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 10:57:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Typically ISCSI will give better performance.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 11:23:24 AM EDT
[#2]
NFS should be fine.  With iSCSI you need to shut down or manually disconnect the client before restarting the NAS.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 11:25:45 AM EDT
[#3]
iSCSI will typically be faster in an ideal, optimized environment.

However, there are other factors to consider:

- Do you have enough CPU to maximize throughput? (Probably, if it is a server.)
 - Can your storage support that level of I/O? (Probably, if it is modern drives on a good controller.
 - Can your network support that level of throughput? (Probably maybe. With good hardware you can saturate a 1GB link.)
 - Do you want block centric vs file centric storage? (This is probably the most important. Lot of pros and cons.)

As with most things, it will only be as fast as the slowest bottleneck.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 10:47:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I vote nfs so you don't have to mess with resizing the volume.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 3:39:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top