Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2021 11:15:48 AM EDT
I have a savage model 99 in .243 that used to be my granddad's, he passed away about 6 years ago, I've had the rifle for about 15, which he gave to me after he stopped hunting.

It has an old leupold vx2 that i want to keep on it, the original scope rings had some screws break when I was adjusting it for eye relief.  I bought new rings since the old ones had some rust anyway, and i was just cleaning it up in general, threw them on and it sat in the safe. This year with my son, I wanted to use either that rifle or my .30-.30 which granddad had gifted to me when i turned 14.

anyway, I go to sight this rifle in, and I max out elevation in the scope and I'm still 6" low at 50 yards. I centered the reticle before starting, and this old scope only has about 2 full rotations on the elevation turret before she is at the limit.

I bought the same size rings it had, and before i fucked it up, it was perfect for about 1" high at 100 yards and could hold just dead on out to 200. I don't recall there being shims in the rings but it was probably 10 years ago when i made the swap.

Is shimming the scope my only option? I'm only used to scopes with elevation for days besides my .22 rifles lol. I haven't ever actually had a problem running out of adjustments.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 11:27:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Make sure you have the base mounts.  Some rifles have different heights between the front and back of the receiver. You need gun specific scope mounts to make up for the difference.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 11:31:04 AM EDT
[#2]
My grandfather had shims under a lot of his scope rings.  
I have no idea where he got them, I suspect he made them out of thin sheet brass since he made about everything else he ever used.
I would suggest old scope technology results in using old scope technology solutions, like shims.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 11:32:53 AM EDT
[#3]
I agree it's the new mounts.     I'd try putting back the originals before shims.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 11:35:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I agree it's the new mounts.     I'd try putting back the originals before shims.
View Quote

This. Old rifles are funny.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 11:35:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Something's off here, likely in the scope mounting.

Does the scope appear generally aligned with the barrel? Do you have a straight edge or something similar you can use to check the general alignment?

A photo or two may help us...
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 11:40:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Modernized solution to using shims.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 11:42:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Burris signature Z rings are designed to shim.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 11:50:14 AM EDT
[#8]
The Savage 99 was not designed for use with optics. It is a lever action and as such the mount locations are at different heights in respect to alignment  with the barrel.

You cant just put off the shelf rings on without first having the rear mount shimmied to height. Leupold has a special 1 piece base for the 99, I would order one of those. This one piece has built in compensation of the ring height difference and can be mounted without shimmying the rear weaver mount.

ETA. This pic shows what I'm talking about. The however is not a leupold 1 piece in the picture.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 11:54:57 AM EDT
[#9]
It has a single piece leupold base bridging the front and rear together, I only replaced the rings in that original mount. I’ll snag a pic in a little bit
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 11:55:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The Savage 99 was not designed for use with optics. It is a lever action and as such the mount locations are at different heights in respect to alignment  with the barrel.

You cant just put off the shelf rings on without first having the rear mount shimmied to height. Leupold has a special 1 piece base for the 99, I would order one of those. This one piece has built in compensation of the ring height difference and can be mounted without shimmying the rear weaver mount.
View Quote

Aaaaaaaand THIS is why you check ARFCOM GD before you do just about everything.

There may be a humongous number of basement-dwelling nimrod Millennials in GD, but there are some real sharp cookies distributed randomly amongst the chaff.

Good job, Sovereign!
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 12:03:16 PM EDT
[#11]
FWIW, I've made shims out of Budweiser cans.

Trim to be undersize with tin snips, lightly hammer to get rid of the raised edges caused by the tin snips. you can use a layer of black electrical tape to protect the scope.

Necessity is the mother of invention...
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 12:32:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 12:35:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 12:40:28 PM EDT
[#14]
How’s the barrel, .243 is known for premature throat erosion?
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 12:41:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Is the scopes front bell touching the rear sight base?  Hard to tell in the picture
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 12:48:37 PM EDT
[#16]

That's exactly the mount I was referring to so that's not the problem. As above is "is the front of the scope making contact with the sight? There is a Veri x 1 and a V x 2 specific mount to allow the scope to clear. The problem you described would require a shim under the front mount so something seems off.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 12:58:04 PM EDT
[#17]

Looks like the front bell of the scope may be contacting the rear sight? If so, that is most likely your problem.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 12:59:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Is the scopes front bell touching the rear sight base?  Hard to tell in the picture
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

no, it clears
Quoted:
How’s the barrel, .243 is known for premature throat erosion?

fine, it is grouping well, just in the wrong spot
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 1:02:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Did something happen to the scope? I saw one time where one of the guys that hunted the property next to ours fell during the day and hit his scope on a tree. When he got back to their house he wanted to see if the gun was still on. It wasn't. He buried the scope to the left and it was still 6 inches off at 50 yards.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 1:04:11 PM EDT
[#20]
I'd try another scope next, one that you've verified holds zero and tracks on a different rifle.  It's either the optic, the rings or the mount.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 1:16:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Burris makes a system call posi align rings that have inserts to adjust POI.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 1:40:36 PM EDT
[#22]
The one piece base pictured should be GTG (and should eliminate the need for any shims).

It's possible the rings are odd, but what I would do is go to a shop that has a optical bore sight, and have them verify that the scope is adjusting properly.  Then just pay them to bore sight it to your preferences (with a professional tool they can get pretty darn close).  If they tell you you need shims or new rings - go ahead.

You wouldn't be the first person to have a scope where the vertical adjustment froze (which is what I would suspect might have happened).

Link Posted: 9/27/2021 2:07:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The one piece base pictured should be GTG (and should eliminate the need for any shims).

It's possible the rings are odd, but what I would do is go to a shop that has a optical bore sight, and have them verify that the scope is adjusting properly.  Then just pay them to bore sight it to your preferences (with a professional tool they can get pretty darn close).  If they tell you you need shims or new rings - go ahead.

You wouldn't be the first person to have a scope where the vertical adjustment froze (which is what I would suspect might have happened).

View Quote

okay, thanks.

Williams Gunsight isn't far, and my friend runs the place, so I know it will be in good hands haha.

I was trying to avoid going to a shop, but it seems as though it isn't something blatantly obvious that I was just missing.

I might get a new scope first anyway, I can find a home for it if that isn't the problem.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 2:12:06 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm partial to one piece bases on lever guns, Leupold is what's on mine.

Link Posted: 9/27/2021 2:36:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Sometimes you can reverse the rings.  Swap the front one to the rear and the rear one to the front and it will move the scope enough to get you where you need to be for sight in.  That's only worked for me once, but it did work.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 5:06:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Sometimes you can reverse the rings.  Swap the front one to the rear and the rear one to the front and it will move the scope enough to get you where you need to be for sight in.  That's only worked for me once, but it did work.
View Quote

The rings aren’t the same. The front one sits in and has to be rotated 90 degrees, and the rear is captured by the cap screw things, which also is used for gross windage adjustment.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 5:17:33 PM EDT
[#27]
A .010" brass shim under the scope on the rear ring would bring you up ~6 minutes.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 5:18:14 PM EDT
[#28]
I would plug a laser bore sighter in the barrel just to see how things line up.
If you are maxed out on adjustment you can decide if you have to tweak the rings or the mount without going through a bunch of ammo.
It does look like the nose of the scope is touching the rear sight mount as stated a few posts up.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 5:39:27 PM EDT
[#29]
It was just the angle, there is a lot of room

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 5:41:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Did the original screws break when tightening or loosening?
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 6:53:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Did the original screws break when tightening or loosening?
View Quote

Loosening, I wanted to bring the scope back just a touch so I didn’t have to creep on the stock
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 7:52:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Rusty screws. Well don’t be surprised if the erector assembly took a shit. Maybe try loosening the ring screws and retorquing them.

ETA: double check your ring alignment. I’m not a fan of dovetails and adjustable windage  bases but sometimes there is no choice but to use them.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 8:00:13 PM EDT
[#33]
It looks like you need a lower rear ring than what it has. Either that or a higher front ring, but considering your clearances, I vote the first option.

Why it does not work as you purchased it, I have no idea. But, what does not work, can... with the proper amount of redneck engineering.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 8:02:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Do you still have the old rings so you could measure height on them compared to new ones? If nothing else, use the new screws in the old rings. A little 0000 steel wool and oil will remove any surface rust from them without damaging the blue.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 8:04:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
It looks like you need a lower rear ring than what it has. Either that or a higher front ring, but considering your clearances, I vote the first option.

Why it does not work as you purchased it, I have no idea. But, what does not work, can... with the proper amount of redneck engineering.
View Quote

It's already shooting too low. He needs a higher rear ring, not lower.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 8:08:57 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm tired and my brain did not process that correctly.

Do the opposite then
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 8:34:08 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

okay, thanks.

Williams Gunsight isn't far, and my friend runs the place, so I know it will be in good hands haha.

I was trying to avoid going to a shop, but it seems as though it isn't something blatantly obvious that I was just missing.

I might get a new scope first anyway, I can find a home for it if that isn't the problem.
View Quote

Just clean up the old rings and throw them back on. See if it will zero.

I have a weird old mount on a 99 in 300 Savage, that I inherited. It hits dead on at 100yds after removing and reinstalling, so I never messed with the rings

Link Posted: 9/28/2021 8:55:50 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Make sure you have the base mounts.  Some rifles have different heights between the front and back of the receiver. You need gun specific scope mounts to make up for the difference.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/28/2021 9:10:27 AM EDT
[#39]
Most likely a VX-2 not the newer VX2. Good luck! I've always liked the Savage 99 and it sounds like a worthwhile project.

ETA: Burris used to make a mount that might help you called posi-loc I think. I use them on a Browning blr that ran out of elevation with the correct mounts. It was one of those rare Browning screw-ups and I think the barrel may have had some droop. Those mounts fixed it and I was able to gain on elevation. They have little plastic ring modules that allow your scope to move around within the mount. When you lock it down they're solid though.

ETA2: Now that I think about it, the scope that I had to put in those first mounts was an older Leupold VX-2 2-7. That has me wondering if those older scopes had limited adjustment.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 9:13:41 AM EDT
[#40]
I am just bere to say, even as a GenX 'er, a Savage Model 99 in .243 is a most excellent deer rifle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top