Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/30/2021 11:42:10 AM EDT
I have a 2TB Lacie hard drive that failed. Took it to a local "data recovery" business. They just sent an estimate of $434
WTF?  HOLY HELL that is about $300 more than I thought it would be. Does that sound like a reasonable amount for the recovery of a hard drive?
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 11:51:28 AM EDT
[#1]
That's cheap if they recover the entire disc. I had an estimate on one that was by the mb. Turned out to be a couple grand if I.wanted.the whole disc. Needless to say, external backup daily is cheaper.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 12:02:12 PM EDT
[#2]
thanks for letting me know. Felt like I was getting screwed.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 12:05:15 PM EDT
[#3]
^^^^^^^
Four hundred bucks sounds cheap for professional recovery. Forensic recovery at least in the past used to be quoted in the thousands.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 12:06:42 PM EDT
[#4]
For enterprise drives, last time I had to do so it cost $2000 per drive and there was no recovery guarantee. Count yourself lucky. Use backups, 2 is one, one is none.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 12:47:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For enterprise drives, last time I had to do so it cost $2000 per drive and there was no recovery guarantee. Count yourself lucky. Use backups, 2 is one, one is none.
View Quote

Yep

Raid
Backup
Offsite backup copy
Good UPS
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 1:19:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have a 2TB Lacie hard drive that failed. Took it to a local "data recovery" business. They just sent an estimate of $434
WTF?  HOLY HELL that is about $300 more than I thought it would be. Does that sound like a reasonable amount for the recovery of a hard drive?
View Quote

If they recover it and place on a new 2TB drive.  that is relatively dirt cheap.    

Link Posted: 4/30/2021 1:32:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Depending on how it failed, you can often replace the circuit board on the back of the drive with one of the exact model. So long as it isn't a mechanical failure, you have a chance of getting it working again. I have done that a couple times in the past.

And yes, that price is a good price. But keep in mind your not guaranteed to get everything back.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 8:24:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 8:52:53 AM EDT
[#9]
If the root problem is with the file system being corrupted or with the surface of the disk, Spinrite might be able to recover it and it is only $89.

I've used it once it was able to recover some, but not all files on a hard drive that had read issues after a power outage.  The drive went from being completely unreadable to me being able to copy off about 90% of the data to a new drive.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 1:38:56 PM EDT
[#10]
We just paid for a rush service recovery for the vice president.

$5000.00

500 gig

Link Posted: 5/4/2021 1:04:00 AM EDT
[#11]
We once had to do a data recovery for a critical server, we charged $15,000
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 11:44:24 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm running another backup right now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top