Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2021 4:15:14 PM EDT
I'm looking to brew some beer, wine, and measure proof of liquors of a higher concentration. Is there a good "beginners" hydrometer to look into? If I didn't have to do a ton of math that would be perfect, but I know I'm asking a lot.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 4:20:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I can’t remember who made mine. LD Carlson maybe?

Anyway, just record your starting gravity and subtract your final gravity and multiply that by 135. That’s your ABV.

But don’t be too worried ABV. Hydrometers are more useful for assessing the progress of fermentation for racking and bottling.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 4:23:43 PM EDT
[#2]
This is my brewing meter
This is my proofing
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:43:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Any basic triple scale hydrometer is dirt simple to use when determining your brew ABV.
Just measure the specific gravity (and correct for temperature) before pitching the yeast, then measure the final specific gravity when fermentation is complete and go online to use any of the many ABV calculators to determine your final Alcohol By Volume - or you can calculate it yourself, the formula is simple and available on line.
Or you can use the Potiential Alcohol scale on the hydrometer - just measure the potential alcohol before pitching yeast, then measure the potential alcohol when fermentation is done and subtract the two to get ABV.
Triple scale hydrometers are available on Amazon for less than 10 bucks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top