Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/12/2018 11:14:21 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 12:34:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Did you disconnect it from the opener and open the door manually after this happened just to make sure that the springs and rollers are all still good?
If the motor is still running then I would assume it's cheaper to fix than replace assuming you can get the parts.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 12:47:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would assume it's cheaper to fix than replace assuming you can get the parts.
View Quote
This is usually the problem.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 12:51:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like mine, a 1995 Overhead Door opener. I opened it up and the main gear had broken paper thin teeth, surrounded by mounds of plastic dust.

I couldn’t see taking the thing down to rebuild it myself, and having someone rebuild it would surely cost more than it’s worth. It’s would still be 22 years old with old parts and technology.

So I had them replace it.

Same day they replaced that one, my other one (a 9 year old model) failed, due to a bad capacitor (that’s what they suspected). Motor made no noise but I could hear a buzzing with activating the remote and wall switch. They had already left. They said it would be 4 weeks till they could fix it, so I ordered a $17 replacement from Amazon and fixed it in 10 minutes.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 12:57:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 7:04:22 PM EDT
[#5]
The garage door opener the builder put in the house would register on the low end of the Richter scale based on how badly it shook the house.  I replaced it with a newer belt drive model from the same manufacturer so I was able to reuse a lot of the sensors, wiring and mount that was already up.  That saved time and hassle.  As a result, the removal and reinstall only took me about 3 hours.  A large chunk of that time was reviewing the installation manual and some youtube videos on how to install.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 7:21:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Amazon Product
  • Includes: Gear and Sprocket, Worm Gear, Grease, Motor Shaft Bearings, Sprocket Bearings,Instructions
  • Compatible with CHAIN Drive Chamberlain Sears Craftsman Manufactured operators 1984-current
  • Compatible with Chamberlain, Sears, Craftsman and LiftMaster 1/3 and 1/2 HP chain drive models

This fixed mine when the same thing happened.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 7:31:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 8:06:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I have replaced the gears in my 1997 opener about 6 years ago. I think it cost $5 or $10 and 30 minutes.

Works great since then, just be sure to lube the gears for long life.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 8:24:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

@patdale

tell me more. was it an easy, straight forward fix, or did you have to take the whole thing apart (?)

I just bought a new one, just got it home, and I can wait for an amazon delivery to save $180 out of pocket expenses.
View Quote
It wasn't too bad. It comes with good instructions.  The worm gear shaft had burs on it from some set screws and I had to sand it to get the washer pieces off.  Looking back, the worm gear was in good shape and you may just need to replace the main gear.  There is a lot of youtube vids on the process.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 11:03:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 8:57:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 2:16:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Did you disconnect it from the opener and open the door manually after this happened just to make sure that the springs and rollers are all still good?
If the motor is still running then I would assume it's cheaper to fix than replace assuming you can get the parts.
View Quote
First thing I thought of.

Just a quick thought. We have a Garage Door company here that has used openers.  My Mom bought a new condo and she complained about the opener being too loud.

They replaced it and had the old one sitting out.  I needed one and stopped by. They let me have it for 1/2 price.

You might call around and see.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top