Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/12/2020 11:41:08 AM EDT
Hudson Baby Bourbon from NY. I had a cocktail made with one version of this that I liked so much, my wife got me a bottle for christmas. That one was a blend of aged whiskey and was pretty solid. Then we got another. It's the 3 month-aged, non-blended version. It's legit terrible. Best I could place the flavor was a mix of grain alcohol that had soaked in creasote barrels. You know, like if you licked a telephone pole. Took a can and a half of ginger ale to dilute it enough to even drink (I'm not one to waste). I will probably use the rest to start camp fires or make drinks for people that prefer the taste of a dumpster fire.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 11:46:39 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a bottle that I haven’t opened. I guess I probably won’t now.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 12:27:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Bourbon does not come from Hudson Bay NY!
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 12:35:50 PM EDT
[#3]
fake bourbon

bourbon does not come from NY
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 12:39:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
fake bourbon

View Quote
legally it can, it just has to be made in the usa, 51% or more corn, aged in new white oak, and follow those proof laws. but yeah, I know where the best comes from
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 12:59:26 PM EDT
[#5]
try this...

shake it intensely for a minute and remove cork to let it breathe for 10min. Then try some later that day
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 1:02:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
try this...

shake it intensely for a minute and remove cork to let it breathe for 10min. Then try some later that day
View Quote
then pour some coke in it. Iol
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 2:31:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I drank for the effect.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 2:33:39 PM EDT
[#8]
I found it to be a Makers Mark wannabe.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 2:35:24 PM EDT
[#9]

Get a rope.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 2:50:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 9:51:15 PM EDT
[#11]
There’s a reason it’s aged for years and not months.......aging adds flavor, mellows, smooths out the harshness of corn liquor
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 9:53:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
fake bourbon

View Quote
If serious , incorrect.  If joking, not funny.

Some of the finest quality bourbon comes from Indiana.

I would not disagree that Hudson is complete shit, that’s true for the most part.  Lots of low quality stuff coming from craft distilleries.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 9:59:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Hudson Baby Bourbon from NY. I had a cocktail made with one version of this that I liked so much, my wife got me a bottle for christmas. That one was a blend of aged whiskey and was pretty solid. Then we got another. It's the 3 month-aged, non-blended version. It's legit terrible. Best I could place the flavor was a mix of grain alcohol that had soaked in creasote barrels. You know, like if you licked a telephone pole. Took a can and a half of ginger ale to dilute it enough to even drink (I'm not one to waste). I will probably use the rest to start camp fires or make drinks for people that prefer the taste of a dumpster fire.
View Quote
Sweet.  but good.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 10:01:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I would not disagree that Hudson is complete shit, that’s true for the most part.  Lots of low quality stuff coming from craft distilleries.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
fake bourbon

It’s funny you mention that but it’s true.....for years if you found a craft brewery as an example you were assured that you were going to get a good beer.....anymore I’m running into some real shit beer and Bourbon is the same...I think the problem with a new upstart Bourbon small batch distiller is the fact that they can’t afford to wait the 4 years minimum to produce something that has enough character to stand on its own
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 10:01:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Bulleit. Fucking terrible.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 10:03:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm drinking buffalo trace right now because GD said it was good.

GD can kiss my black ass.

Bulleit bourbon is a great every day bourbon.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 10:06:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 10:08:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unbelievable....I’m drinking Bulleit right now myself
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 10:09:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Calumet followed by Willet.

Calumet tasted like musty wood and gym socks.

Willet just isn't good.  It's drinkable if you've got nothing else.

Eagle Rare is bourbon-light.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 10:10:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Buffalo Trace has a harsh finish. I don't like it either.

Bulleit may have been tolerable with an ice cube or two, but straight up it was fucking terrible.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 10:10:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 10:11:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 10:11:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.

Buffalo Trace is blah.

Bulleit is wonderful.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 10:12:36 PM EDT
[#24]
I have a bottle of Ezra Brooks...I swear to me ....it’s awful
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 10:13:18 PM EDT
[#25]
I’ve seen nothing but horrible reviews on the Hudson Baby.  Don’t intend to find out if they’re correct
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 10:15:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I’ve seen nothing but horrible reviews on the Hudson Baby.  Don’t intend to find out if they’re correct
View Quote
Honestly... it's very drinkable.  Very sweet... I think because it's all corn.

Throw an ice cube in it to thin it a bit.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 10:19:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm with this guy.
Just had my first bottle 2weeks ago and fell in love.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 10:23:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 10:25:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Only bottle I’ve given away after one pour, couldn’t drink it. Almost as bad as cheap Dickel.
View Quote
I have only poured out one bottle of whiskey.  I could find nobody that would drink it.  Even my father, who thinks Benchmark bourbon is a higher quality/more expensive bourbon.... would not drink it.

Prichards whiskey.  Bottled in Tennessee but it tasted more like an Irish whiskey.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 10:40:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I have only poured out one bottle of whiskey.  I could find nobody that would drink it.  Even my father, who thinks Benchmark bourbon is a higher quality/more expensive bourbon.... would not drink it.

Prichards whiskey.  Bottled in Tennessee but it tasted more like an Irish whiskey.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Only bottle I’ve given away after one pour, couldn’t drink it. Almost as bad as cheap Dickel.

A few that I've poured out over the years: Belle Meade (from NashVegas), and 10th Mountain Whiskey (Vail, CO.)

I currently have opened, a bottle of Smooth Ambler Contradiction, and a bottle of Yellowstone 101. Both are excellent.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 10:42:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah, but at least IN is a neighbor with KY...
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 12:10:24 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
Benchmark was a premium in the 60s and 70s.  Sazerac bought the name years later and slapped it on a bottom shelfer, but the history is probably where your dad got that from.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 12:30:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
I don’t care for regular bulleit but it’s not terrible) 95 rye is darn good for the price.  Barrel strength is pretty decent, especially for the 17.99 price tag we saw about 8 months ago (not a typo , was under 20$ with tax).  It’s unbeatable for a drinker and mixer for that price.

For anyone saying it’s horrible, you’d need to rethink your opinion on beam, four roses and MGP, cause that’s where most of it comes from.  I have cases of the barrel strength that came from four roses.  It’s great.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 12:38:26 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

It’s funny you mention that but it’s true.....for years if you found a craft brewery as an example you were assured that you were going to get a good beer.....anymore I’m running into some real shit beer and Bourbon is the same...I think the problem with a new upstart Bourbon small batch distiller is the fact that they can’t afford to wait the 4 years minimum to produce something that has enough character to stand on its own
View Quote
Quite true.  Very few distilleries make the journey correctly (the way I see it).  New Riff and High West are two of them.  Source from MGP, heaven hill or similar while you can age and master the process.

The problem nowadays is that even the sourced stock is unobtainable for a reasonable price.  Dickel is one of the only places that you can source from without paying through the nose, and lots of dickel is just sub par.

It’s going to be interesting to see in 6-8 years where a lot of craft distilleries leave town and the big quality distilleries get caught up on stock.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 10:43:53 AM EDT
[#35]
Best thing to weed out the worst bourbons like super young or terrePURE garbage is to either stick with straight bourbons or one with an actual age statement.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 11:10:55 AM EDT
[#36]
Hudson is absolutely terrible. One of the only bottles I've ever poured down the sink.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 11:12:47 AM EDT
[#37]
only whiskey I think I ever dumped (intentionally) was a moonshine/whitelightning something I got as a gift. I couldn't add even a touch of it to coke without ruining it. I didn't think to soak cherries or anything in it, just chucked.

I wanted to like Hudson because it's my son's name. And one bottle (the one that's aged correctly) was actually good, even for being corny. It's the other that's undrinkable. I don't usually write a review if something is bad but if this saves 1 person from wasting $50 it's worth it.

I may try and age it myself with some oak chips. Or I might try it for cooking/making BBQ sauce. Most likely I will just make this face every time I see it on my way to get Buffalo Trace.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 2:48:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 3:48:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Aged 3 months.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 3:50:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
fake bourbon

Same as craft beers.

Just because you can slap something out on a small scale doesn’t make it good.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 3:52:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
fake bourbon

Yep we had local new distillery selling smoked bourbon.   Clear grain alcohol with smoke flavor.   Blech!
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 3:53:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A little too rye flavored for me.

I keep coming back to cheap Wild Turkey 80 proof.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 6:01:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
only whiskey I think I ever dumped (intentionally) was a moonshine/whitelightning something I got as a gift. I couldn't add even a touch of it to coke without ruining it. I didn't think to soak cherries or anything in it, just chucked.

I wanted to like Hudson because it's my son's name. And one bottle (the one that's aged correctly) was actually good, even for being corny. It's the other that's undrinkable. I don't usually write a review if something is bad but if this saves 1 person from wasting $50 it's worth it.

I may try and age it myself with some oak chips. Or I might try it for cooking/making BBQ sauce. Most likely I will just make this face every time I see it on my way to get Buffalo Trace.
View Quote
Putting oak chips or spirals does not age whiskey.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 7:20:44 PM EDT
[#44]
I was going to revisit my hudson baby this evening in light of fish223's negative review, but I gots to dial back my alkyhall consumption a bit.  Maybe I'll pour me a bit tomorrow.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 10:10:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 10:26:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Went with Michters small batch this fine evening, myself. A true pleasure.
View Quote
The Michters rye is excellent.  I don't think I've tried the bourbon.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 10:45:49 PM EDT
[#47]
I have come to decide life is too short to drink bad bourbon- I have poured out a few bottles last couple months. For reasonable priced bourbon I really like Blade and Bow.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 11:26:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Went with Michters small batch this fine evening, myself. A true pleasure.
I don’t know if the bourbon and the whiskey I drank are different, but I enjoyed the bottle of Michter’s I had.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 9:23:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Trying the HB bourbon again now...

Very light on the nose surprisingly.  A bit of caramel.
Drinking, very syrupy (from the sugar). It's not complex and there's not a lot of individual notes.  
Some spiciness slightly reminiscent of a rye.
Definitely not overpowering though. Very 'disapppearing' aftertaste.

6 or 7 out of 10.

Would not pour out.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 9:35:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top