Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/25/2020 12:23:01 AM EDT
I'm looking for a heart monitor to use when walking, running or biking that will allow me to set alarms if my heart rate goes out of a given range and tracks the amount of time in the range.

I checked Amazon and it looks like there are tons of very similar watches or other devices that do this and they range in price from under $100 to over $2,000.  Many of them look like they are clones made in China.

Which heart rate monitors have you all had good luck with?

Link Posted: 12/25/2020 7:21:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Also curious
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 6:19:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I used the Omron HR-100 ($30) for a long time, but it looks like it's been discontinued. That used a chest strap which are known for accuracy. I would be pretty dubious at the accuracy of these cheap wrist based monitors.

Now I have a Coros Pace 2 ($200). I use it a lot more than just the heart rate monitoring, though. I've found the GPS tracking to be very accurate, and it also gives you the option to track running via power. Power is the most accurate method to monitor your hard efforts when not on a flat course.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 6:44:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Fitbit or Apple Watch
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 7:51:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I've been using a Sportline Cardio Connect for a couple years.  I bought it new off egay, pretty sure it was already discontinued.  I think it was only $30-40.

It has a watch deal that displays HR.  Also has stopwatch, chrono, timer.  You can set alarms for upper and lower HR.  Also calculates calories burned.  It uses a chest strap for the HR.  The chest strap also works with a lot of the cardio equipment at the gym.

It came with a dongle you can plug into your phone that does gps and all that other crap too.  I don't use that.

When this one dies I will probably try to find another NOS one to replace it.  It seems like a lot of the newer ones are multiple hundreds of dollars and sync with your phone for GPS and all types of tracking that I have found to be just useless info.

I also have a TomTom bluetooth HR chest strap that I can use with various apps on my phone.  I don't really use it very often as it sometimes screws with my bluetooth headset.  Also at the gym I found it a pain to look at my phone for HR, easier with a watch.  On my bike with the phone mounted on the bars it isn't too bad.  It is also a lot bulkier which is really only an issue if you are using a piece of equipment you put your chest up against.  One nice thing about it is that you can try it out with a bunch of different apps to see what you like.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-TomTom-Multi-Sport-Runner-Bluetooth-Heart-Rate-Monitor-Sensor-for-GPS-watch/362140081313

Be careful buying some of those knockoff fitbit type things.  A lot of them are not very accurate, don't actually read continuous HR, and most of the things they "claim" to do only work when you load a chinese app on your phone.

This looks like the one I have https://www.ebay.com/itm/NIB-Sportline-Cardio-Mens-Monitor-BLACK/283881895579?hash=item4218adf69b:g:FpYAAOSwGXRewZ9L
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:08:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks gman.

I'm still looking for a good heart rate monitor.  I purchased a Garmin Vivoactive4 and ended up returning it.  It complained constantly about wanting more access to my phone and the heart rate it reported was often way off what I measured taking my own pulse.

I'll take a look.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 12:40:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 6:33:29 AM EDT
[#7]
I bought a Pyle PHRM24 at a thrift store (new in box) to see if I could tolerate something around my chest. Tests ok standing around, I've only had it a day so I haven't gotten to do anything with it.

Apparently it is limited in what it picks up. It consists of a module and a chest strap. The module is all I can get the strap to talk to (I was hoping for directly to my garmin watch or garmin connect).

The module shoehorns into either a wrist strap or a clip, both included.

It needs you to wet the two pads, and it goes under your tits.

First thing the actual manual says is 'thanks for buying the   ANYRUN   heart monitor' leading me to believe they brand this for a bunch of different names.

I'm not certain it will record for static exercises, just walking and running (which needs to be calibrated to your stride).

The pc software is super flaky.

I'll update in a few days when I'm able to test it.

Edit - It's garbage lol and I can't deal with that strap. Feels like it's perpetually falling down, and with my pear shape, that's physically impossible at any tightness.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top