Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/5/2023 1:38:29 PM EDT
I like watches and have been wearing them since I was a kid. I got a Seamaster for graduation ~15 years ago and it's been my daily for most of that time. Wedding, birth of my sons, burying family, jobs, trips, etc. I have added and subsequently traded off a bunch of other watches over the years as I always picked the tried-and-true EDC for most things.

I've been loving the look of Tudors for a few years since Sub prices went crazy pants. I've also been saving money, and recently got a surprise work bonus that will be significant to me. Between having the cash in hand, a milestone birthday this year, last kid coming out of daycare, and two pretty significantly negative life changing event a few months ago, I've been thinking hard about a titanium Pelagos in Blue. Seeing it in person did not shake me of the desire to own one

my concern is that if I buy one, it's a decent chunk of change that is unlikely to be an easy flip or crazy appreciating thing if I don't like it. I'm sort of feeling like it would be "cheating" on my faithful Omega.

wondering if anyone else has gone through similar and if I should just spend the money on a dream pistol or something that I'd at least feel comfortable with using occasionally instead of every day.

before it's asked I do have 6+ months rainy day funds, am funding my retirement, no consumer silly debt, under spent on house, etc, so while this is certainly a decent chunk of change it wouldn't change my life being spent anywhere else. Unless I lose it all in the MVIS thread
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 2:16:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Do it.
You only die once.
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 5:15:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Nah.

I did this before and realized a watch is something I can enjoy daily.

Watch box jealousy is a thing between two or more pieces. It’s hard but you can make time for both.

Davidsw has them for $6-700 under list (preowned).

ETA: there’s a bunch on TRF for the $3500 range
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 6:38:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Not sure I ever regretted a new watch, but out of 10 watches, I wear one 85% of the time, another 14% of the time, and the rest 1% of the time.  You never know which is your favorite until you own it for a year or longer.

Love the pelagos.  Perfect tool watch.  I don't have one, but it's on the short list for my next watch!
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 6:51:52 PM EDT
[#4]
MkII, the case came scratched,
brand spanking new from MkII.

Link Posted: 4/5/2023 7:37:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Get one. Its great. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 7:49:14 PM EDT
[#6]
It’s hard to go wrong with a Tudor these days - excellent value. Great watch.

I have regretted buying watches and I flipped them, moved on to the next thing. These days I am down to 5 or so keepers.

All that to say, life is short, go for it.
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 9:36:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

before it's asked I do have 6+ months rainy day funds, am funding my retirement, no consumer silly debt, under spent on house, etc, so while this is certainly a decent chunk of change it wouldn't change my life being spent anywhere else. Unless I lose it all in the MVIS thread
View Quote

You are in the wrong sub forum, for that kind of thinking....

I would look at Used.
Or see what kind of deal you AD can make you.  They got some room to work with you on Tudor. And there are some deals to be found out there.

With that said, I am not a big fan of titanium watches for how badly they get scratched & they are not like steel, for easy of polish / refinishing.

Tudor
Rolex
Omeg
Or that gold watch!!

You have earned. Do it for yourself!!
YOLO!!! Enjoy it!
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 10:38:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes..
Corum regatta.
Shitbag company. Solid mid tier quality.
Finally got out of it on partial trade for Rolex GMT.
Lucky I got $3k out of it.
Omega and Rolex are the only ones. Although G-shock has its place in some 3rd world travels.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 8:28:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Baers and Tudors go well together

It seems crazy to say that a $5k watch is a great value, but I think you'll see the value once you put on one your wrist.

My father tells me often that he regrets not buying a Submariner back when they cost $500. He said it was a lot of money back then, but that was something he wished he would have splurged on when he was younger. I regret selling my Seiko SKX more often than any gun I've ever sold.

I would rather have a new watch than some custom comped red-dot 2011. I've found that I prefer splurging on watches and keeping my firearms as tools. I enjoy my watches from Casios to my Tudor. It has been something that keeps my mind preoccupied which is good for me. I have found that I love reading about watch movements and manufacturing.

The Pelagos is a killer watch for the money. I love the entire Pelagos line. It truly embodies a true modern tool watch. Rarely does a 'substitute' for a watch scratch the itch for a different/more expensive watch. I wanted a Submariner for years when I got into watches, but my Tudor has completely scratched the Sub itch for me. Sure, I'd still love an older Submariner, but I'm no where close to wanting to drop the cash for one anymore. I think of the Pelagos has the watch that the Submariner used to be, an accurate, reliable, tool watch designed to dive and/or wear every day.

I highly recommend a Pelagos. It can hard to justify spending $5k on something like a watch, but it came be something that marks a significant event or milestone in your life. My wife and I bought each other watches for our 6th year anniversary. She enjoyed getting to pick a special watch too. Neither one of us regret it and they remind us of our anniversary and the challenges we overcame to get to where we are today.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 10:45:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It seems crazy to say that a $5k watch is a great value, but I think you'll see the value once you put on one your wrist.

My father tells me often that he regrets not buying a Submariner back when they cost $500. He said it was a lot of money back then, but that was something he wished he would have splurged on when he was younger. I regret selling my Seiko SKX more often than any gun I've ever sold.

I would rather have a new watch than some custom comped red-dot 2011. I've found that I prefer splurging on watches and keeping my firearms as tools. I enjoy my watches from Casios to my Tudor. It has been something that keeps my mind preoccupied which is good for me. I have found that I love reading about watch movements and manufacturing.

The Pelagos is a killer watch for the money. I love the entire Pelagos line. It truly embodies a true modern tool watch. Rarely does a 'substitute' for a watch scratch the itch for a different/more expensive watch. I wanted a Submariner for years when I got into watches, but my Tudor has completely scratched the Sub itch for me. Sure, I'd still love an older Submariner, but I'm no where close to wanting to drop the cash for one anymore. I think of the Pelagos has the watch that the Submariner used to be, an accurate, reliable, tool watch designed to dive and/or wear every day.

I highly recommend a Pelagos. It can hard to justify spending $5k on something like a watch, but it came be something that marks a significant event or milestone in your life. My wife and I bought each other watches for our 6th year anniversary. She enjoyed getting to pick a special watch too. Neither one of us regret it and they remind us of our anniversary and the challenges we overcame to get to where we are today.
View Quote

I’ll piggy back on this.

They are not going to get any cheaper. Sounds crazy but each year there is a price increase. Rising tide floats all boats, so used gets a boost as well.

For reference, the Pelagos 39 cost more than my 16610.

Think about that, so I’d wager we will continue to see and increase in costs as the years go by.

If you want it and it’s not going to be an impact on finances - never a better deal than today.

We can work for you and find good deals if you want us to .

The hunt is half the fun.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 11:14:24 AM EDT
[#11]
I have the same fear, Its not even really the money for me, I just cant stand the thought of the watch sitting unused like most of my pieces do now. I think my biggest problem is that realistically I can only really wear 3-4 pieces before they become redundant and I want more like 25 or 30 of them..
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 4:46:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You are in the wrong sub forum, for that kind of thinking....

I would look at Used.
Or see what kind of deal you AD can make you.  They got some room to work with you on Tudor. And there are some deals to be found out there.

With that said, I am not a big fan of titanium watches for how badly they get scratched & they are not like steel, for easy of polish / refinishing.

Tudor
Rolex
Omeg
Or that gold watch!!

You have earned. Do it for yourself!!
YOLO!!! Enjoy it!
View Quote

So what happens if the titanium gets scratched up? I have that steel omega and it’s all sorts of scratched from
Years of use. Never had it polished, I kinda like it looking worn.

I like the look of gold watches, and I kinda like the look of some at ~$12k but don’t get really excited until I’m looking at $20k plus. For a guy that’s never spent that much on a car (even currently driving a Lexus and own a classic convertible) I can’t stomach the thought of that much money tied up in a thing that doesn’t drive or I can’t live inside.

Quoted:

View Quote

I like Baers because I see that as about as good as it can mechanically get, after that it’s more money for the sake of more money and/or better finishing. I mean the ivory is because I always wanted it. Bought the gun for my first son, the grips for my second.

I liked Rolex but not sure what they are going for is something I’m able to stomach. Also seems to often be the “idk about watches but hear this is cool”. Kinda like corvette guys that buy them just because they think they have to,  not because they appreciate the heritage or mechanisms.

Quoted:

I’ll piggy back on this.

They are not going to get any cheaper. Sounds crazy but each year there is a price increase. Rising tide floats all boats, so used gets a boost as well.

Think about that, so I’d wager we will continue to see and increase in costs as the years go by.

If you want it and it’s not going to be an impact on finances - never a better deal than today.

View Quote

The hunt is fun. Trying it on I think is what sold me on it. Not sure I want to go used or not, but I was seeing them go for $4100 new on Joma. Is that grey market? I’m not knowledgeable enough personally to go through forums with what I’ve seen in the world of super fakes.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 7:06:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Ti self heals on some and others scratches will be there.

All part of the ride.

A worn watch is like a well worn Les Baer 1911.

Scratches demonstrate you wear it .

Link Posted: 4/6/2023 8:15:01 PM EDT
[#14]
If you buy pre owned, make sure it’s a 2020 or newer model.

That will carry the 5 year warranty iirc.
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 7:24:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Ti self heals on some and others scratches will be there.

All part of the ride.

A worn watch is like a well worn Les Baer 1911.

Scratches demonstrate you wear it .

View Quote

Quoted:
If you buy pre owned, make sure it’s a 2020 or newer model.

That will carry the 5 year warranty iirc.
View Quote

@Finslayer83 I don't like a worn 1911.... Oh wait

did you get your pelagos new or used? I'm leaning towards new, just because I don't know really enough about buying used to not worry I'd be getting a fake or something.

I have a few more months of saving up but I showed the wife a couple pictures of the Tudor and she said "you know we could just chip in towards it for your birthday this year..." so it's looking like it may end up happening.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 9:30:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Marathon GSAR.

That thing lost like 2 minutes a day.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 11:49:42 PM EDT
[#17]
I bought a Casio Databank just because I felt bad walking out of the shop without making a purchase. Thought it was nice at the moment, then I realized there's no backlight so I can't really wear it for work.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 12:11:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Do it.
Just had my AD call back tonight with a Pelagos 39 she found for me.
Picking it up when I’m back CONUS soon.

Went back and forth on selling a near new Seamaster that’s been worn a handful of times to offset the cost. Going to put it up for sale even though it’s somewhat sentimental as I figure I would just transfer the meaningful event to the Tudor.
At least that’s what I’m telling myself.

Anyone need a new Seamaster?

Out with the old.
Attachment Attached File

In with the new.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/27/2023 11:20:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Tudor is the watch for people with brains.

You get a Rolex at half the cost (I own a Rolex)

I would still buy a Rolex over anything but I also only buy Intel processors and not AMD

I have never been known for brains
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 7:56:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I’ll piggy back on this.

View Quote

@Finslayer83 here’s the one for sale locally. Wants $3500. Has solid feedback on Reddit in WatchExchange and a decent looking IG page.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 2:04:04 PM EDT
[#21]

I’ll see what’s out there on TRF too.

Iirc that’s market for them.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 2:49:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Yes.

I bought an analog/digital G-Shock for turnarounds, where I’d be crawling through distillation towers and filthy refinery equipment.

I’d still rather wear my $20 Shanghai Special (knockoff Omega Seamaster), which has survived 6 years of turnaround inspection work.

It’s lost its hacking function, and it gains a minute a day, but it still wears better than the g shock.
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 4:02:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Never ever, but i also don't have many if them. My last watch purchase was back in 2016 from Mio store, got myself an awesome piece from Audemars Piguet watches.
Unfortunately i don't have it with me at the moment, but will try to remember to post a picture here one day. That was probably one of the most expensive thing i bought for myself.
My wife though had to sell her watch once as she didn't like the design anymore and said it doesn't fit her for some reason.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 4:04:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Been wearing this for 2 hours now. Local guy, met over a drink at an Irish pub and traded some silver that was sitting in the bottom of my safe for some titanium on my wrist.

So far my only regret is not doing this sooner…

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 4:23:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Hell yeah brother!  Congrats on the new piece.  Enjoy it.

Link Posted: 5/9/2023 4:24:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Congratulations man!!!! Super happy for ya! The blue is stunning
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 4:42:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Congratulations man!!!! Super happy for ya! The blue is stunning
View Quote

Thanks! It really is. I can’t capture it well but I’m trying
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 9:12:54 PM EDT
[#28]

Nice. You can really see the dial detail on the blue, love it.

Now the countdown starts until you have to have a black one too.
It's an Arfcom tradition!
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 4:45:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Different model, no regrets.  Tudor had been on short list.  

Attachment Attached File

Very pleased.

The only watches I’ve ever regretted a little were early when I settled for a less expensive watch instead of saving for a little longer to get one of my loftier wants.  

Now that most of my boxes are checked, I really appreciate some of my less expensive purchases.  

It’s a process.  

I considered a Patek last month.  Instead, I bought 5 watches on my list.   Couldn’t be happier.  Decided to save Patek for 60th.  

Buy it.

ETA. Congratulations.   Beautiful.  I just realized you bought it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 5:04:59 PM EDT
[#30]
You should get it.

I'm thinking about getting an IWC to match the clock in my AMG
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 5:49:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
You should get it.

I'm thinking about getting an IWC to match the clock in my AMG
View Quote

You should get it.  I got mine last month.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 5:50:16 PM EDT
[#32]
ETA.  double tap
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 6:23:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 10:17:48 AM EDT
[#34]
One month in update for no real reason...

I've been wearing this every day since I got it a month ago now. It's been really comfortable and I see zero marks on the bracelet/band that weren't there when I bought it, as it was used.

At first I was messing with the spring fit a lot, but since cutting carbs I don't swell as much during the day as I was a month ago, so it's locked into the tightest setting all day.

Super comfortable, I worked out, hiked, swam, worked, etc with it and it's great. Nobody at work has said anything besides two guys that I know are watch guys, so that made sense. Wore it to BladeShow and was surprised to see how many knife guys are also gun/watch guys, but I guess it makes sense.

Biggest thing is the accuracy. I was coming from cheap automatics that would lose a minute +/- a day. Not terrible but not amazing. I set this to Atomic Time as best I could and over a week it was only 1.5 seconds off!

Also the lume is amazing. I don't do anything like charging it up before bed but I can absolutely read it at ~4am when I'm waking up.

I think my favorite hidden part is that there's extra resistance as you turn the bezel and it hits 12. Just enough stick to let you know tacitly where you're at, which I think is pretty cool.

I have not worn my Seamaster once since getting it. Mostly because I wanted to give it a fair shake and also because holy hell I like it! Taking both on an upcoming beach trip but I'm actually on the fence as the Pelagos has done everything for me I could ask a watch to do, and looks damn good doing it.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 12:51:58 PM EDT
[#35]

I love this picture! My wife and I had our first son 2 months ago and I'm looking forward to sharing my hobbies and passions with him.

I'm happy that you're enjoying the Pelagos. It's a lot of freaking money for a quality watch, but it's amazing to see how those little things you get with a higher end watch add up to making it feel worth it. Keep up the pics! I love seeing more Pelagoss (maybe it's Pelageese) here !
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 5:24:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I love this picture! My wife and I had our first son 2 months ago and I'm looking forward to sharing my hobbies and passions with him.

I'm happy that you're enjoying the Pelagos. It's a lot of freaking money for a quality watch, but it's amazing to see how those little things you get with a higher end watch add up to making it feel worth it. Keep up the pics! I love seeing more Pelagoss (maybe it's Pelageese) here !
View Quote

@x_red_beard_x congrats! That certainly changed things. You registered anywhere or need anything? I know the first few months are the hardest but at least the rest of the years are also exhausting!

I bought my Baer when my son was born. Been carrying it on some of our adventures and beating it up for him. Makes it a lot more meaningful to me, even if not to him.

It’s a lot of money to have tied up in a thing for sure. You can buy an $11 watch that tells the same time and even lights up at night.

But like you’ve said, sometimes it’s nice to look down and see something meaningful, that you worked for, and enjoy.

That said, start a 529 account before you even consider buying one, and daycare in Dallas cost me a Ferrari payment a month (or gold sub every year).
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 7:53:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

@x_red_beard_x congrats! That certainly changed things. You registered anywhere or need anything? I know the first few months are the hardest but at least the rest of the years are also exhausting!

I bought my Baer when my son was born. Been carrying it on some of our adventures and beating it up for him. Makes it a lot more meaningful to me, even if not to him.

It’s a lot of money to have tied up in a thing for sure. You can buy an $11 watch that tells the same time and even lights up at night.

But like you’ve said, sometimes it’s nice to look down and see something meaningful, that you worked for, and enjoy.

That said, start a 529 account before you even consider buying one, and daycare in Dallas cost me a Ferrari payment a month (or gold sub every year).
View Quote

Thanks man, that’s super kind, but I think we got everything covered. The first 2months have been super rough, but he finally spent 7 hours straight. What a blessing! I’ll definitely look into a 529 account. We knew we wanted to start something like that, but never really researched. I’m thankful that my wife is gonna stay at home, but that also means the watch/gun fund gets hit a little. I have a F91W in the safe with him name on it and a Seiko Turtle when he gets older. That’s what I love so much about the watch hobby is passing them down.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 11:06:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I like watches and have been wearing them since I was a kid. I got a Seamaster for graduation ~15 years ago and it's been my daily for most of that time. Wedding, birth of my sons, burying family, jobs, trips, etc. I have added and subsequently traded off a bunch of other watches over the years as I always picked the tried-and-true EDC for most things.

I've been loving the look of Tudors for a few years since Sub prices went crazy pants. I've also been saving money, and recently got a surprise work bonus that will be significant to me. Between having the cash in hand, a milestone birthday this year, last kid coming out of daycare, and two pretty significantly negative life changing event a few months ago, I've been thinking hard about a titanium Pelagos in Blue. Seeing it in person did not shake me of the desire to own one

my concern is that if I buy one, it's a decent chunk of change that is unlikely to be an easy flip or crazy appreciating thing if I don't like it. I'm sort of feeling like it would be "cheating" on my faithful Omega.

wondering if anyone else has gone through similar and if I should just spend the money on a dream pistol or something that I'd at least feel comfortable with using occasionally instead of every day.

View Quote

I know where a few subs are retail if you’re looking. At an AD for retail.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 9:11:25 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

So what happens if the titanium gets scratched up? I have that steel omega and it’s all sorts of scratched from
Years of use. Never had it polished, I kinda like it looking worn.

I like the look of gold watches, and I kinda like the look of some at ~$12k but don’t get really excited until I’m looking at $20k plus. For a guy that’s never spent that much on a car (even currently driving a Lexus and own a classic convertible) I can’t stomach the thought of that much money tied up in a thing that doesn’t drive or I can’t live inside.

I like Baers because I see that as about as good as it can mechanically get, after that it’s more money for the sake of more money and/or better finishing. I mean the ivory is because I always wanted it. Bought the gun for my first son, the grips for my second.

I liked Rolex but not sure what they are going for is something I’m able to stomach. Also seems to often be the “idk about watches but hear this is cool”. Kinda like corvette guys that buy them just because they think they have to,  not because they appreciate the heritage or mechanisms.

The hunt is fun. Trying it on I think is what sold me on it. Not sure I want to go used or not, but I was seeing them go for $4100 new on Joma. Is that grey market? I’m not knowledgeable enough personally to go through forums with what I’ve seen in the world of super fakes.
View Quote

I have the Peligos 25600 and scratching is not an issue. And I had the same thoughts as you when I was in the shop looking at them. Bought it and the finish has held up excellent. You will be very happy with it. Congrats!
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 12:49:06 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I’ll piggy back on this.

View Quote

But did it really though?
Don’t get me wrong, I have laid down examples of the proportional Sub/SD prices over decades and the huge shift multiple times with historical comparisons.

However comma
If you dropped 4K on a 16610 twenty years ago, that’s around 6600 bucks in today’s dollars.
But a Pelagos is 5K.   About 3K in 2003 dollars.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top