Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/30/2021 3:26:24 AM EDT
the internet being what it is, it's hard to decipher what adds for "free" programs are legit and what are trash.

I have dvds of converted home videos (from the 90's... thanks Mom) that I want to convert to digital so that I can destroy the hard copies that are taking up space, and also give soft copies to said mother.
what do you use? how do you like it?

something simple is all I need.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 3:55:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 5:01:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Take a look at vidcoder.

https://vidcoder.net/

I would suggest using H.265 as the output codec.  It's extremely space efficient.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 11:58:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I use makemkv

https://www.makemkv.net
View Quote

This. It can even handle 4K UltraHD discs with Dolby Vision. Provided you have the appropriate drive with the appropriate firmware, of course.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 2:16:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys. ????
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 2:20:45 PM EDT
[#5]
MakeMKV is great for getting the files off of disk but essentially makes a full image of the disk (so a MKV can be 4+ GB). If coming straight off of DVD, HandBrake is my go to.

What I typically do is rip disks to MKV using MakeMKV then encode the video down to a smaller file using HandBrake (typically a .m4v file). I've found this process goes much quicker compared to ripping straight off of the disk (as you process at the speeds of the hard drive once you get the MKV on local storage).

Ripping a Bluray disk to MKV takes up a lot of space...32 GB so re-encoding that to 2-4 GB file makes a lot more sense when you have limited storage.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 11:51:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Handbrake or MakeMKV.
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 5:26:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
MakeMKV is great for getting the files off of disk but essentially makes a full image of the disk (so a MKV can be 4+ GB). If coming straight off of DVD, HandBrake is my go to.

What I typically do is rip disks to MKV using MakeMKV then encode the video down to a smaller file using HandBrake (typically a .m4v file). I've found this process goes much quicker compared to ripping straight off of the disk (as you process at the speeds of the hard drive once you get the MKV on local storage).

Ripping a Bluray disk to MKV takes up a lot of space...32 GB so re-encoding that to 2-4 GB file makes a lot more sense when you have limited storage.
View Quote

This is what I do also.. MakeMKV to Handbrake, I recycled one of my old laptops with a bad LCD screen (plugged HDMI output to a old TV) to run MakeMKV on and save the ripped files to a folder on my Data NAS then can use my big PC to encode to the final folder on the Plex server NAS with Handbrake. I set up the queue in Handbrake with all the new files and start them when I head off to bed and they are either all done or are close to being done in the morning when I wake up.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 9:01:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This is what I do also.. MakeMKV to Handbrake, I recycled one of my old laptops with a bad LCD screen (plugged HDMI output to a old TV) to run MakeMKV on and save the ripped files to a folder on my Data NAS then can use my big PC to encode to the final folder on the Plex server NAS with Handbrake. I set up the queue in Handbrake with all the new files and start them when I head off to bed and they are either all done or are close to being done in the morning when I wake up.
View Quote

Another vote for this.  Rip from disk with MakeMKV then run it through Handbrake and add to Plex. I find the default settings in in Handbrake to be adequate.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top