Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/29/2020 11:37:57 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 12:11:57 PM EDT
[#1]
They make a digitizing kit (off Fry's, E-bay or Amazon) that hooks to your VCR and plays back via a converter box to your computer, where you store the analog VHS signal to digital.  you can then burn - write the data to a DVD drive off your computer.

Something like...

https://www.amazon.com/Lvozize-Digital-Converter-Capture-Transfer

Link Posted: 4/29/2020 12:28:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 12:34:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I know you don't want a combo machine but the last I saw them at walmart they were about $45 or so. If you have to buy anything else I'd just go this route and save yourself some potential aggravation getting everything to work together.

YMMV
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 2:05:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 4:16:50 AM EDT
[#5]
The Tape is what it is.

You can play it back with whatever VCR you have or want to use.  Coverting the tape to computer doesn't erase or harm the tape at all.

The advantage of putting it to your Computer are:

(A) You can make multiple copies of the video off one pass of the tape.  You can upload it to You Tube or drop box to share, off site storage in case of fire, flood or theft, and it is easy to burn mulitple DVDs off the computer master, than running the tape each time (risking degrade or damage) to make each direct to DVD copy off a single machine.

(B) You can edit the tape before going to DVD (chapters, commentary, audio, ect...)

Link Posted: 5/24/2020 12:58:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Have you watched the VHS quality video on your HD TV?  The quality is pretty bad, even if your receiver does scaling.
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 9:23:56 AM EDT
[#7]
I have the DVD/VHS recorder and can convert VHS to DVD as long as there is no copy protection on the tape. I copied all my 'back in the day' tapes to DVD and have done several friend's too.
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 9:25:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
any do it yourself software out there? I have a vhs player and a dvd already so buying a combination machine isn't something I want to do.
View Quote

You’re looking to convert videos from one obsolete format to another, why?
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 9:08:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You’re looking to convert videos from one obsolete format to another, why?
View Quote

I can give you a long list of vhs films that never made it to dvd or digital.  Not to mention one of a kind personal videos and one of a kind training films.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top