Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/10/2018 11:01:33 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 11:37:44 AM EDT
[#1]
My university turned my 68W training into 38 SH credits.  Most of it went towards nursing, and a few Gen Eds.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 12:56:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd start with the local community college and begin with their VA coordinator.

Would be cheaper than a for profit place initially.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 1:11:30 PM EDT
[#3]
my university, UMUC, gave me like 30 hours
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 2:36:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Look into Joint Service Transcript (JST) and the American Council on Education (ACE) for schools and service periods.
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 5:55:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I found most of the credits I had from Navy tech schools didn't apply to my business degree.

That said I was able to take Dantes tests to cover all of my general studies credits.

Was much easier then taking classes - just do the reading that the tests are based on and then pay to take the test.
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 6:07:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Look into Joint Service Transcript (JST) and the American Council on Education (ACE) for schools and service periods.
View Quote
This ^. You'll have the option of having the school's Registrar's Office evaluate your JST and determine how many credits you can have transferred in and what they can be applied towards. Be cautious before transferring everything in though, if you've been in a long time and have a ton of "worthless" credits you can run into issues with Financial Aid if you need it at a later date (150% Rule). You can always transfer more in later but once posted, they can never be removed.

The smart thing to do is transfer in only what will directly apply towards your course requirements at first. If you have generic credits left over, wait until your Core and Major requirements are complete and then work with your advisor to transfer in the rest to meet your overall credit requirement to graduate (most universities require 120 credits for a 4 year degree and a large chunk of this are electives that your JST may work towards).

Your advisor will be able to help you with all of this.

If you're asking if anywhere will convert your JST/ACE over to a degree of some kind, it's unlikely. Best case scenario your JST/ACE will complete major requirements (ie. If you've been an Air Traffic Controller for 20 years and are going for an Associates in ATC) and then you'll have to complete the Core requirements (math, writing, ect) and whatever their In-Residence Credit Requirements are (generally 30 for a Bachelors and 15 for an Associates).

(I spent 8 years working in Higher Ed)
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 10:19:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I found most of the credits I had from Navy tech schools didn't apply to my business degree.

That said I was able to take Dantes tests to cover all of my general studies credits.

Was much easier then taking classes - just do the reading that the tests are based on and then pay to take the test.
View Quote
Clep and dantes are free to military.  Well the first time is free.
I got 33 ch for my training. I just started on my degree. Using army ta.
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 10:11:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Pretty much for any degree there will be a section of your undergrad where you will complete something called "General Electives." Depending on your degree or school, these general electives may have absolutely nothing to do with your actual major, but are just a nice way for universities to make you attend more classes and be a more "well rounded individual." I left as a 68W and got a degree in business, so not a lot matched up from my JST to my degree guide, but the credits I got from military service basically wiped out the general electives section.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 2:25:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Take it from me, as I was a professional student while in the AF. Anyways, most colleges will give you college credit for your training and Basic. You may have to shop schools, but most will give you college credit.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 2:33:16 PM EDT
[#10]
I got a metric shit ton after emailing copies of some of my records to my online college.  After some classes, I know why I received so much credit as a grunt, I was already smarter than half the students at the University of Phoenix.  Talk to the VA rep at your school, mine was squared away and had answers to my questions, he was a past 11B.
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 4:50:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

This ^. You'll have the option of having the school's Registrar's Office evaluate your JST and determine how many credits you can have transferred in and what they can be applied towards. Be cautious before transferring everything in though, if you've been in a long time and have a ton of "worthless" credits you can run into issues with Financial Aid if you need it at a later date (150% Rule). You can always transfer more in later but once posted, they can never be removed.

The smart thing to do is transfer in only what will directly apply towards your course requirements at first. If you have generic credits left over, wait until your Core and Major requirements are complete and then work with your advisor to transfer in the rest to meet your overall credit requirement to graduate (most universities require 120 credits for a 4 year degree and a large chunk of this are electives that your JST may work towards).

Your advisor will be able to help you with all of this.

If you're asking if anywhere will convert your JST/ACE over to a degree of some kind, it's unlikely. Best case scenario your JST/ACE will complete major requirements (ie. If you've been an Air Traffic Controller for 20 years and are going for an Associates in ATC) and then you'll have to complete the Core requirements (math, writing, ect) and whatever their In-Residence Credit Requirements are (generally 30 for a Bachelors and 15 for an Associates).

(I spent 8 years working in Higher Ed)
View Quote
This is a good answer.

In my case, I scored a decent amount of credit for past military and civilian training/certification but it depends on the institution and your degree program. I was surprised that actual college credit courses I took in .mil did not count to the university I enrolled in, yet I got credit for boot camp...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top