Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2021 12:38:19 PM EDT
stupid question:  obvious gun noob...besides pistols.

scenario: pick up rifle, site it in with iron sites..I can't close my left eye only my right so can't aim to see targets through iron sites.  If i leave both eyes opened everythings just blurry.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:41:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Same here.  I'm cross-dominant - right handed, but left eye dominant.  I've never been able to wink my left eye and an injury to my right eye in high school that gave me a mild cataract just made it worse.  I shoot handguns right handed, long guns left handed.

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:42:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Same here.  I'm cross-dominant - right handed, but left eye dominant.  I've never been able to wink my left eye and an injury to my right eye in high school that gave me a mild cataract just made it worse.  I shoot handguns right handed, long guns left handed.

View Quote

i may have to try that..it sucks
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:47:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

came to post this^  switch the "handedness" for shooting to match your eye dominance.  Especially since you're new to it, you won't have to unlearn anything.

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:48:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:50:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

came to post this^  switch the "handedness" for shooting to match your eye dominance.  Especially since you're new to it, you won't have to unlearn anything.

View Quote

If that doesn't work, put a piece of tape on your shooting glasses over your non-dominent eye.  you can leave both eyes open, but your "good" eye will be forced to do all the work.  helps a lot in bullseye shooting
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:50:39 PM EDT
[#6]
If new onset, then Bell's palsey.  If not, retrain left eyelid to regain use.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:56:22 PM EDT
[#7]
My college sweetheart couldn't close her left eye. When I would take her to the range (she preferred pistols) I would cover the left lens of her shooting glasses with electrical tape. Worked like a charm.

Her Dad recently passed away and her Mother told me that she had one of his pistols waiting for me (he got rid of all of his guns except one...). Could be his 1911A1, could be his Luger. I'll be tickled either way. Just need to find time to pick it up
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:56:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

i may have to try that..it sucks
View Quote

I've been doing it this way for 30+ years - started with BB guns when I was 9-10.  Drove my dad nuts that I couldn't wink my left eye.  He finally gave up and taught me left handed.  Even though I'm 100% right handed, it feels completely natural to hold a rifle left handed - even holding a rifle right handed feels weird and wrong now.

Also, I don't bother with left-handed rifles/shotgun.  Just adapt to the right-handed controls.

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:03:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Get a cripple stock

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:34:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If new onset, then Bell's palsey.  If not, retrain left eyelid to regain use.
View Quote

If you decide to retrain your left eye, I’d recommend the same method of changing eye dominance used by Nicolas Cage in the movie “”Fire Birds”.  

The Cliff Notes version is, while driving around his base, he wore a pair of panties over his head blocking his dominant eye.  This forced him to use his non-dominant eye to maneuver the Jeep.  Apparently it worked ‘cause he saved the world

Tip:   Use an appropriately sized panty which is nice and tight......
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:44:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Do this OP.
How to Determine Your Dominant Eye: Aiming a Pistol | Handgun 101 with Top Shot Chris Cheng
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top