Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/26/2021 2:57:38 PM EDT
building a new home, the small space under the stairs will be the comms/security closet.
I'm having a number of cat6 cables run to the security cameras. (Lorex IP camera NAS system).  Also having some cat6 run to a few Wifi AP's in the home.
How do I "properly" bring those cables into that room through the wall, and properly maintain bug/insulation integrity?

Link Posted: 5/26/2021 3:26:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Plumbers putty
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 3:47:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Cat 6 for all things.

ETA: Make sure it's 23 gauge.
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 4:09:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I had them bring them all through a single pipe.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 8:38:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Depends on how the house is being built.

Traditional insulation in the walls and vented attic? Spray foam where it penetrates into the living area.

Continuous air barrier on the outside, spray foam interior with a conditioned attic space? Don't really have to worry about anything.
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 10:09:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Depending on how/where it comes in and how many cables we'll use:

A rubber cap over the pipe perforated to fit the cables snugly if it's in a closet or something, duct seal up top.

A brush/bristle type plate if it's a sealed attic coming in to a frequented space

A wad of duct seal in top and bottom.

In your case just duct seal or rubber cap the bottom of the duct coming in under the stairs and I'd put a plug up top too.

The APs should have plates that cover the holes you make for junction boxes, use solid back junction boxes and you can put a little putty inside them too before you put plates on.
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 2:19:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd certainly insist they run it properly through conduit instead of taking the easy way out and boring holes through studs like most try to do in homes.
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 3:30:12 PM EDT
[#7]
In the house we just moved into, there are dozens of CAT-5 cables run into a closet and come out in 2 different double gang boxes.  I'm going to use a 12 port face plate and keystone jacks.  Once they are all properly connected, I will put a keystone jack on a wire in a room and use my cable tester to find the right jack in the closet.  Pop the keystone into the plate and label it.  Move on the next room/next cable.
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 3:47:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
In the house we just moved into, there are dozens of CAT-5 cables run into a closet and come out in 2 different double gang boxes.  I'm going to use a 12 port face plate and keystone jacks.  Once they are all properly connected, I will put a keystone jack on a wire in a room and use my cable tester to find the right jack in the closet.  Pop the keystone into the plate and label it.  Move on the next room/next cable.
View Quote

This is a lot easier than keystone jacks.  I have a couple of these in my camera network.  You can snap them into their frame back-side-out to punch down your wires.

Dshot 12 Port UTP 10 inch Cat6 Network Wall Mount Surface Patch Panel

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NUXCHE6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ETA:  Ah, I see that yours are already in gang boxes.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 10:58:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This is a lot easier than keystone jacks.  I have a couple of these in my camera network.  You can snap them into their frame back-side-out to punch down your wires.

Dshot 12 Port UTP 10 inch Cat6 Network Wall Mount Surface Patch Panel

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NUXCHE6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ETA:  Ah, I see that yours are already in gang boxes.
View Quote

I always preferred to bring all my home runs onto a 110 block and then use jumpers to go from the 110 blocks to the switches. Found it to be much more reliable in humid environments as you reduce the POF that is corrosion at the RJ-45 panel and the contacts on the 8p8c connectors by replacing it with a "gasless" connection. Of course, doesn't really work if you are trying to punch down stranded jumpers.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 11:20:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I terminated into Leviton Atlas-X1 keystone jacks for my 12 Cat-6A runs.
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 3:09:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Cat 6 for all things.

View Quote

And solid copper if you want to do POE.
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 10:34:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cat 6 for all things.

Yes!  But to clarify, solid copper, as apposed to copper-clad aluminum for POE.

Always solid conductor, as apposed to stranded for punch-down terminations.

Always stranded for crimp-on terminations/patch cables.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top