Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/28/2020 1:48:53 PM EDT
anyone have experience with these?  i haven't seen them in stores so i can't try them out.

looking to finish my home gym so i can cancel my membership.  i only have up to 55lb dbells now, and use the 115s at the gym for a few different workouts so i do need some heavy ones.

buying them individually i would like to get something like 70s 90s 110s or 120s but would pay more for those than selecttechs.  i would also sell my individual dbells to offset the cost.

my concern is how they work with different movements like laterals, pullovers, presses etc...
Link Posted: 11/28/2020 7:30:47 PM EDT
[#1]
knowing nothing about you other than this post, I think most here would tell you to buy a rack and a barbell.  I know I would.
Link Posted: 11/28/2020 8:39:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I bench with dumbbells bc the supine hand position and keeping my elbows tucked seems way better on my shoulders.

But one thing i see is about  98% of people that use dumbbells above 50 don't actually need them. They are doing shrugs or oblique bends or some super short obscure movement with them.

Assuming you aren't one of those,  i don't like them.  I like to go to failure and toss the weight. Those won't take that. That's my only thing against them.  

They work nice and always switch weights well

I'm not very strong,  but i feel like if i throw the dumbbells on the ground and drink from a 1 gallon disposable water jug, it impresses my wife and men that see me lift.  Bc no woman actually looks,  just other bros.

I also scream "UP! UP!" while i do a short deadlift motion right before i deadlift and wear slingshot elbow cuffs that match my shoes and hat to seem more impressive.
Link Posted: 11/28/2020 9:42:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
knowing nothing about you other than this post, I think most here would tell you to buy a rack and a barbell.  I know I would.
View Quote

i have a full rack and barbell.  i still like doing variations using dbells.
Link Posted: 11/28/2020 9:48:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I bench with dumbbells bc the supine hand position and keeping my elbows tucked seems way better on my shoulders.

But one thing i see is about  98% of people that use dumbbells above 50 don't actually need them. They are doing shrugs or oblique bends or some super short obscure movement with them.

Assuming you aren't one of those,  i don't like them.  I like to go to failure and toss the weight. Those won't take that. That's my only thing against them.  

They work nice and always switch weights well

I'm not very strong,  but i feel like if i throw the dumbbells on the ground and drink from a 1 gallon disposable water jug, it impresses my wife and men that see me lift.  Bc no woman actually looks,  just other bros.

I also scream "UP! UP!" while i do a short deadlift motion right before i deadlift and wear slingshot elbow cuffs that match my shoes and hat to seem more impressive.
View Quote

i do all my press variations using dbells, bench, incline, shoulder press, plus lateral raises, pullovers, use a dbell between my feet for leg lifts and a few other things.

last year i was benching 430 before i tore my right bicep tendon then stopped lifting for awhile.  i then tore my left bicep tendon on july 4th this year from work related stuff.  I've been back in the gym for the last three months and my bench is back to 375, squats 450ish.  im still taking it easy on supination and pull movements because of my tendons still healing.
Link Posted: 11/28/2020 10:07:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

i have a full rack and barbell.  i still like doing variations using dbells.
View Quote

noted
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 3:14:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Have they improved the latching mechanism from the old ones? The mechanism that retains the individual plates used to be prone to failure if not treated gently, and could release the plates at inopportune times...like when pressing over your head/face.

The standard adjustable dumbbell recommendation is Ironmaster or Powerblocks over Blowflex. Honestly, unless you have some pressing need (no pun intended) to be able to change weights quickly, I'd recommend a quality set of oly or standard handles and the corresponding plates.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 3:25:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I don' use dumbells, but if I did I would probably go with the old school adjustable ones, they look pretty expensive by comparison.

Like these.

https://www.titan.fitness/strength/dumbbells/adjustable-dumbbells/pair-of-adjustable-chrome-dumbbells-5-100-lb-each/423113.html
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 4:46:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I don' use dumbells, but if I did I would probably go with the old school adjustable ones, they look pretty expensive by comparison.

Like these.

https://www.titan.fitness/strength/dumbbells/adjustable-dumbbells/pair-of-adjustable-chrome-dumbbells-5-100-lb-each/423113.html
View Quote

I have a set very similar to those that I picked up about a year ago for around $200 shipped. Surprisingly nice for the money, and easily capable of holding twelve 10# plates each for a total of 125# in each hand.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 8:36:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I have a set very similar to those that I picked up about a year ago for around $200 shipped. Surprisingly nice for the money, and easily capable of holding twelve 10# plates each for a total of 125# in each hand.
View Quote

i think that's the route i might go with.  i already have bunch of plates.

i usually never drop dbells but don't want to break the 1000 dollar selecttechs if i ever had to do an emergency release.

thanks guys
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 11:10:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

i think that's the route i might go with.  i already have bunch of plates.

i usually never drop dbells but don't want to break the 1000 dollar selecttechs if i ever had to do an emergency release.

thanks guys
View Quote
I bought a similar set-up from Rep Fitness.  They don't offer a full set, only a few smaller sets of bar(s)/plates, so I don't know if they end up being any less expensive.  

I've been very happy with them, so far.  The 10 lb plates have a pretty big diameter but you can put 12 of them on the bar.  

Rep Fitness adjustable dumbell
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top