Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/10/2022 3:45:02 PM EDT
OK, so "best" can mean different things to different folks.  I guess I'd mean "easy to learn", but perhaps the "most useful for modeling little parts" might also be a good definition in this case.

One of my kids likes to use the 3d printer for accessories for lego or cobi minifigures, etc.  He has gotten fairly good with TinkerCad, but I'm hoping to get him to learn the next step to learn a real skill.  

We did look at Fusion 360, looks fairly complex, but powerful.  Is there a better Go-To software to learn for modeling focused around 3d printing?  Sketchup Pro seems popular also.  

ETA: Right now we are just using a Ender 3 Pro, but looking at resin printers also.  Not sure if that makes a difference in what software is best.

Thanks for any input!
Link Posted: 11/10/2022 3:51:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:We did look at Fusion 360, looks fairly complex, but powerful.
View Quote

That's going to be the most popular product, for this application.
Plenty of Youtube vids and series for you to learn.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/10/2022 4:04:37 PM EDT
[#2]
F360 or SolidWorks.

I'd not even consider the others.
Link Posted: 11/10/2022 4:24:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
... I'm hoping to get him to learn the next step to learn a real skill.  
View Quote

F360 is probably your best bet for something he'll be able to continue grow with and always be commercially valuable.
Link Posted: 11/11/2022 9:05:15 AM EDT
[#4]
It depends on what "skill" you are wanting him to learn, and more specifically what file types he wants to modify and/or create.

Fusion360 and SolidWorks are great for designing/modeling for CAD applications.

Blender and Meshmixer are great for drawing/modeling for artistic applications.
Link Posted: 11/11/2022 5:22:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Solidworks but I have a soft spot for Creo.
Link Posted: 11/11/2022 6:27:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I don’t think it gets much better than free f360
Link Posted: 11/11/2022 6:45:32 PM EDT
[#7]
If you want a professional cad program prepair for some sticker shock. Students/veterans get really good prices on Solidworks and then of course there's fusion 360. Any cad software will have a high learning curve to use it well.
Link Posted: 11/11/2022 6:56:48 PM EDT
[#8]
For those of us with not so deep pockets, Alibre Atom for $149 works well.  On sale for $99 now.
https://www.alibre.com/buy-now/

Does not use the Parasolids modeling engine, uses ACIS. So while it can import Parasolids based files (i.e. created with Solidworks or other Parasolids based softwares), you cannot manipulate them.

But it works just like most any 3D modeler, you sketch on planes, extrude, cut, etc. Its parametric, can loft, sweep, pattern, etc. also creates assemblies and drawings.
its a download to PC, not cloud based, I like that.

$50/year keeps you current.
$300 gets you Atom plus Meschcam in case you have a CNC mill, that gets you the CAM portion for creating g-code files.

I used solidworks since 2,000, but when I retired I needed a home priced solution.
For industry knowledge and adoption, Solidworks is hard to beat, but its $$$

I avoid the "free" ones, inevitably they change later to a pay only deal, then you're stuck with time invested and models in their format.

Link Posted: 11/11/2022 7:25:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/11/2022 7:36:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Fusion360 can get pretty clunky sometimes.   And it tries to do too much all the time.

I've gotten better performance out of https://www.rhino3d.com/.  And if you have a background in programming, https://openscad.org/ feels right at home.
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 1:37:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks all, I have registered for the free F360 and will probably have him watch some videos to see if he can catch on easily.  

Thanks for all the other suggestions, may look at some of those options also.
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 2:56:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Solidworks but I have a soft spot for Creo.
View Quote

Creo? What kind of a sadist are you?!
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 3:08:06 PM EDT
[#13]
So, I really like the software on Tinkercad. Is there somewhere I can download that program or similar to my PC?
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 4:37:18 PM EDT
[#14]
For free... Fusion 360 is hard to beat .... but I hate using it.

Free NX student version would be my suggestion
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 11:49:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks all, I have registered for the free F360 and will probably have him watch some videos to see if he can catch on easily.  

Thanks for all the other suggestions, may look at some of those options also.
View Quote

I'm not sure "catch on easily" and "3D design" hang out together much... from what I've seen it takes some dedication to get proficient with any of the tools.  But once you start getting good with it the things you can do with it today are amazing.  3D printers, CNC routers, mills and lathes, lasers...  the amount of fabrication potential you can stuff your garage with these days is impressive.  But you can't make it all sing and dance without CAD.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top