Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/20/2020 6:15:31 PM EDT
So never really used a VPN in many years, however with the virus going around, our business has switched to doing most things offsite - this won't necessarily always be from home and can be from other locations, so would like a VPN service that I can load on the individual device and comes with me.  (My dealing with VPNs before was when I worked in IT many years ago and we had a VPN for the entire site.)

Been reading and NordVPN seems to get good reviews as does ExpressVPN.

Any others to consider?
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 7:12:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I've had good luck with ExpressVPN.  

You will want to get one that has been audited to make sure they aren't keeping logs.  I'm pretty sure ExpressVPN was audited and found to be good to go.  

I don't know about NordVPN

You should avoid any "free" VPN at all costs -- they are almost certainly selling some information about you or your traffic.

Good Luck!
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 7:20:03 PM EDT
[#2]
You should add ProtonVPN to your list of VPNs to look at.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 7:50:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I've got Nord, but only because they had a killer deal for 3yrs & I got like 25% cash back from eBates/Rakuten.  
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 8:03:43 PM EDT
[#4]
In for details.

Link Posted: 5/20/2020 8:11:42 PM EDT
[#5]
ProtonVPN is pretty well respected. PIA has done ok by me but there has recently been a change in ownership so I'm waiting to be disappointed.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 8:21:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By K1rodeoboater:
I've got Nord, but only because they had a killer deal for 3yrs & I got like 25% cash back from eBates/Rakuten.  
View Quote

Same. Nords deal was too good to pass up. Also nice to have it on my phone as well.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 8:29:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By heavily_armed:
ProtonVPN is pretty well respected. PIA has done ok by me but there has recently been a change in ownership so I'm waiting to be disappointed.
View Quote

As soon as my PIA sub expires I am migrating to ProtonVPN.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 9:26:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Express VPN here for the last year. No issues.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 9:50:15 PM EDT
[#9]
I've been real happy with Surfshark.com. Unlimited machines covered under 1 license.

Link Posted: 5/21/2020 7:57:46 AM EDT
[#10]
I've been using VPN.ac for a few years.  Excellent service with a few advanced features some of the others don't have.

Tried Nord, ExpressVPN, Perfect Privacy, they don't come close.  YMMV.

Link Posted: 5/21/2020 11:01:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By ZekeMenuar:
I've been using VPN.ac for a few years.  Excellent service with a few advanced features some of the others don't have.

Tried Nord, ExpressVPN, Perfect Privacy, they don't come close.  YMMV.

View Quote

@ZekeMenuar

What do you find more useful about VPN.ac?   Their pricing seems right in line with most others.   How is the speed usually?

Link Posted: 5/21/2020 11:23:18 AM EDT
[#12]
I've been using nord for a few years. I really like their client and services. They are also enhancing their services to allow for streaming video which you can already do but this will make it even better... they also have discounts going all the time so I typically buy a year at a time and save a few bucks.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 11:30:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 5:47:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 7:04:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Nord was audited, but Express had a server seiezed, but no logs found... So both are good. Nord is cheaper, Express uses ram to run on, so the memory it has is wiped on reboot, I asuming  Nord does this also.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 7:13:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Nord here
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 9:26:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

@ZekeMenuar

What do you find more useful about VPN.ac?   Their pricing seems right in line with most others.   How is the speed usually?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Originally Posted By ZekeMenuar:
I've been using VPN.ac for a few years.  Excellent service with a few advanced features some of the others don't have.

Tried Nord, ExpressVPN, Perfect Privacy, they don't come close.  YMMV.

@ZekeMenuar

I've been with VPN.ac for four? years.  Boringly reliable.  No muss, no fuss.  The Linux version works in Mint and MX Linux.

I'm getting 82mbps through a Romanian server.

There's a lot out there.  Be prepared to wade though a few.

Link Posted: 5/22/2020 2:58:36 AM EDT
[#18]
If you have to run a VPN the only option is Proton

But also dont run a fucking stupid VPN
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 7:10:10 PM EDT
[#19]
I refuse to install my work's VPN on my personal devices - I run only Linux on my desktops and laptop, their VPN software ISN'T Free or Open, and it tries to replace the core OS SSL libs.  No thanks.

I do all my stuff via a SSH tunnel to a Linux machine, forwarding specific ports (for RDP, etc) and also setting it up as a dynamic SOCKS5 proxy so I can hit internal webservers over the SSH tunnel.

There have been days that I've been working and my coworkers can't get in or stay connected....

Link Posted: 5/28/2020 10:03:17 PM EDT
[#20]
I only use tin foil for wrapping ribs and on occasion briskets.......  But, I use Tunnel Bear for my personal Apple devices.  For work stuff I use Pulse and SecureID.  I don't have any plans to over throw the government and need to be able to log into work to help my team at odd times.  All is well here....
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 10:17:51 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a proton account but I’m not even sure why. COVID boredom got the best of me and I set it up but now I can’t figure out what to use it for.

Having a VPN server running is very useful but I don’t know why I’d ever use a client outside of work. I guess if you are doing a shitload of torrenting?
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 10:51:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Mullvad is basically the only option, if you actually need a VPN.  Most people don't have any reason to have a VPN -- but if you need one, they're the one.
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 12:05:40 PM EDT
[#23]
I use ssh tunnels, either forwarding specific ports to specific hosts or using a dynamic SOCKS5 proxy.  The VPN client software for my work place is not open source and wants to replace my system wide SSL libraries.  Ain't happening.

Funnily enough, there are days when I'm the only person who can stay connected without interruption.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top