Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/6/2018 2:55:34 AM EDT
I'm trying to find a general value of an old Waltham pocket watch for a widow. It's a windup 17 jewel, movement 28744168, open face 1935ish non railroad standard pocket watch. it doesnt wind up proper and doesnt run but its a beauty.
its in an Illinois Case Co frame and still has the chain. I've got the basic information off of the Pocket Watch Database and its a "Grade: No. 1217" whatever the hell that means and is one of 27,000 made.

waltham model 1894 whatever that means.

I was a cargo pusher in the military, not a watch maker.

any help or points to the right direction would be much appreciated
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 7:46:24 AM EDT
[#1]
I have my grandfathers. I remember around 25 going into Boston with dad to a jeweler who worked on them. He cleaned it and got it running. Said to wind it daily- which I have been doing for 40 years. Keeps good time.
Don’t know if the case is gold or bass.
Check eBay and CHRONO24 for pricing.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 12:14:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Pretty average pocket watch. Would be worth a few hundred if it ran, but usually costs a few hundred to get them going if they're broken.

John, you can unscrew the back and look inside to see the gold content of the case.

Most likely it will say ROLLED GOLD PLATE, which is a thin layer of gold rolled onto brass or copper. It's more durable that gold plated, but not really very valuable from a gold content perspective.

Either of you, if it says something like 14K GOLD or 18K GOLD, then that is a solid gold case and is quite a bit more more valuable.

Oh, and look closely on the fitting of the chain for gold content there. It's going to be stamped somewhere and tiny, so get a magnifying glass.
Chains were often purchased separately and could be more valuable than the watch.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 12:56:07 PM EDT
[#3]
The case says
gold filled

Double stock
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 4:37:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The case says
gold filled

Double stock
View Quote
There are probably jewelers who can give the exact technical differences, but basically the same as rolled.
It's a a thin layer of gold over brass, mechanically applied, so it is thicker than electroplating.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 11:53:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I took it to an antique clock shop.

apparently it's worth between $100 and $150, but needs a new mainspring which would cost $75 to have put in.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 12:24:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I took it to an antique clock shop.

apparently it's worth between $100 and $150, but needs a new mainspring which would cost $75 to have put in.
View Quote
Before I read your update, I was going to say the value of the watch is less than $200 running
less than $100 not running.
Waltham is to pocket watches back then
And Seiko is to wrist watches today.

$75 to get a new main_spring a pretty good deal, ish.
It is alittle high, but about right for just the main_spring itself.
But cheap
Because most places will not just replace the main_spring with out doing a full service on the watch ( about $150 - $250 ), which would normally cost about as much the watch is worth.

Link Posted: 12/16/2018 5:32:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 3:25:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought it! wish replacing the main spring was something I could do myself... i love fixing things.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top