Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2022 2:01:10 PM EDT
with the rising cost of food, I am thinking of baking my own bread.

What do I need to know?? Do I need a  bread mixer? Yes Im a newby
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 2:15:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I bake sourdough - but I'm far from an expert.

A mixer is handy - but not necessary.  I think you get a better feel for the dough if you hand mix.  If you do get a mixer - get a good one.  At least some of the smaller Kitchen aid mixers use plastic gears in the planetaries - they won't stand up to mixing bread doughs.  Older Hobart made KA's will work if you can find one, I think the Pro series KA use metal gears and will stand up to mixing bread dough.  I use an Ankarsrum Assistant - kind of pricey, but its really good at bread dough.

First thing I'd do is go look up some of the No Knead bread recipes and give them a try.

I personally would avoid anything with specialty flours, high percentages of whole wheat, etc. until you can make a bread you family likes.

Keep it simple - Flour, water, salt, yeast.  Thats all you need.  I use mostly unbleached All Purpose white flour. I don't use specialty bread flours, but I do add 10% whole wheat to give the dough some structure.

I bake with sourdough - but that does add a level of complexity to the process.  I'd start with active dry yeast no knead bread recipes. Sourdough is an active living culture that you have to a.) get started, and b.) keep it alive.  Neither is difficult - but it's kind of a separate task set above and beyond making bread.

One nice thing about making bread is you can usually eat your mistakes.  I've been baking sourdough breads for 5 or 6 years and have yet to mess one up bad enough to throw out.

ETA:  Before buying a mixer I'd suggest a decent kitchen scale that weighs in grams.  They are not expensive and you'll have much better luck baking using a scale than tying to use measuring cups.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 2:31:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Homemade bread is very good but the process is time consuming. Mixing, kneading, rising, baking... the times add up so it takes longer than you might expect to go from a bowl of flour to a finished loaf. Hence the number of recipes for "quick" breads out there. Give it a try.

Many years ago my parents experimented with a bread-making machine. It was one of the early models, and what it produced was more like a large dense dinner roll than a loaf of sandwich bread. I don't know if the latest generation does a better job.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 2:40:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I do reg white, and sourdough.

Everything I learned form making sourdough came from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJEHsvW2J6M

There is lot's of recipes for plain white bread, I suggest searching. (lmk, I can post mine)

Having the right bowls, and other kitchen tools helps but not always necessary
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 3:21:09 PM EDT
[#4]
It's not hard but some critical steps, if the water for the yeast is too hot or too cold it won't work and if your home is too cool the bread won't rise.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 9:37:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Welcome, fellow noob. I just recently started baking my own bread too. It's easier than I thought it would be, just time consuming. I just looked up some recipes online and have been trying them out. So far my favorite has been a rye recipe I found.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 10:01:11 PM EDT
[#6]
My pizza dough rises plenty in the fridge.
I let it ferment for a few days to develop flavor.
I should start making bread though.  
Or breadsticks or chicago rolls. Or hmmmmmm bread....
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 12:22:34 PM EDT
[#7]
So, I started baking bread a few years ago.  I was raised on home made bread, but sadly did not ask my mother to teach me.

My first experience was the New York Times No Knead Bread (most popular) New York Times No Knead Bread

Awesome, easy and tasted great.  However, better as a side to meals than making sandwiches.

Next, moved on to no knead sandwich bread.  Both of these helped.... No Knead Sandwich Bread (1) and No Knead Milk Sandwich Bread

I have moved on since then, but I believe these will help you get started.   I now do kneaded breads, just had to develop my confidence and the above videos helped that.

Things that are important:

1.  Mixers are not necessary, but help oh so much.  You can, however do it by hand.  
2.  Having a place to "proof" your dough is important.  I use a microwave after I run it for 30-45 seconds to warm it up or my ovens.  YMMV.
3.  Realistic expectations.  The first no knead I made looked sketchy at best; my kids devoured it before it was room temperature.  Taste is better than IG photos.
4.  Don't be afraid to fail.  It costs less to nothing to try.  And each time I did, I learned something.

Oh, and they updated the New York Times version here: Updated NYT No Knead Bread Recipe

Hope this encourages you to try it.

Link Posted: 3/11/2022 6:28:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Search YouTube for “no knead bread” and “bread in 5”.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 7:49:37 AM EDT
[#9]
I make all of our breads, pizza dough and rolls here at home.  A lot of these "no knead" recipes are fine for a dinner loaf but dont shelf very well or make good sandwich bread imo. I prefer an enriched dough that has a better structure for sandwiches and rolls.

Link Posted: 3/11/2022 8:55:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Think of time and temp as ingredients.

Get used to weighing ingredients and using bakers %.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 9:13:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Buy this book. Seriously it completely altered my approach to bread baking.

Be prepared to experiment a little -- your local altitude and climate impacts the results a bit so you need to fine tune temp/time a little.

Once you get a basic loaf down you can expand to things like pizza dough (nothing compares to a home baked fresh pizza,
my wife and I literally stopped getting take out pizza when we mastered dough because ours was so much better.)

Bread making is a great skill to have, is simple to learn, and you can stock a lot of the four basic ingredients for very little money.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 11:23:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Buy this book. Seriously it completely altered my approach to bread baking.

Be prepared to experiment a little -- your local altitude and climate impacts the results a bit so you need to fine tune temp/time a little.

Once you get a basic loaf down you can expand to things like pizza dough (nothing compares to a home baked fresh pizza,
my wife and I literally stopped getting take out pizza when we mastered dough because ours was so much better.)

Bread making is a great skill to have, is simple to learn, and you can stock a lot of the four basic ingredients for very little money.
View Quote

That's the book that got me started. Mix a batch of dough, let it rise and then store it in the fridge. It's about as painless a way to make really good fresh baked bread that there is.
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 12:28:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks book ordered, now off to costco
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 10:49:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Next, moved on to no knead sandwich bread.  Both of these helped.... No Knead Sandwich Bread (1) and No Knead Milk Sandwich Bread
View Quote

Thanks for the links, I've got the dough rising for the first one now.  If you just want the recipe without the video it's at:
https://marysnest.com/no-knead-sandwich-bread/ - I substituted olive oil for the melted butter.

Will update once it's done.

ETA: This is the recipe posted by Sefton below and it was danged easy.  I like the taste of the artisan no-knead bread better but I think that's because the longer initial rise time (18 hours) makes it more robust.  The sandwich bread is very mild-tasting and soft even with the olive oil.  For my next one I'm going to swap 1/3 of the flour with rye or whole wheat flour.

After the second second rise just before I put it in the oven:
Attachment Attached File

After it baked I brushed the top with melted butter:
Attachment Attached File

Bake time was 40 minutes, I think another 2-3 minutes would have given it a perfect golden brown top crust but it was baked through.

Sliced:
Attachment Attached File

I don't use measuring cups for flour, I weigh it, since how densely the flour is packed can make a difference in how much you're putting into the recipe.  One cup of flour is 4.4 oz so I used 13.5 oz of flour in the recipe and 1.5 cups of water since I just made one loaf.
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 11:11:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Easy recipe .

NO KNEAD SANDWICH BREAD
6 cups all purpose flour
3 cups warm water 110 degrees
2 T melted butter
1 pkg instant yeast
1 T salt
1 T sugar
In a large mixing bowl, dump all flour
add salt on one side. sugar and yeast on the other side
Pour warm water over the flour and pour melted butter on top
Stir with the handle of a wooden spoon
mix till dough comes together into a sticky shaggy dough
cover with greased plastic wrap and let rise till double in warm location (aprox. 1 - 2 hrs)
After dough has doubled grease 2 loaf pans generously
punch down dough in bowl and divide dough in 1/2
with well greased hands pick up the dough and plop into a loaf pan
do the same with the last portion
Smooth out fairly evenly in the each pan cover with greased plastic wrap
allow to raise in warm location for aprox 40 to 45 minutes
bake in a 375 degree warmed oven for 40 to 45 minutes
once they have been removed from the oven smooth a stick of butter over the tops to coat them
(this will ensure a softer crust) and allow to cool on a rack

Link Posted: 3/12/2022 10:55:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Costco was packed  today, a Saturday, lots of stuff was higher price. I had to go to 2 baskets, no I don’t have a jelly bean car. I did get stuff for other likeminded friends. Gas cost were $38 for a 175 mile round trip. Shelves were filled. This is Albuquerque.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 11:45:28 AM EDT
[#17]
So, about 20 mpg? Must be a big SUV.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 3:26:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
So, about 20 mpg? Must be a big SUV.
View Quote

Suburban too 2 carts to fill it up
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 9:09:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Helping to eliminate the "guess work" from baking you might want to take a look at what the folks at ThermoWorks have for baking

Also very handy as a reference is the weights and measures on the King Arthur site: Weight Chart

As others have mentioned, when it comes to baking a good scale which measures in grams is a necessity, not a nice to have.  Once I started measuring my ingredients by weight my baking results leapt to the next level.  Volumetric measure isn't.  What's the volume of a cup of flour?  Compaction?  Relative humidity?  Go by weight and you'll always get better results.  My scale set me back all of $25.

That said, go for it.  Nothing beats your own recipe for bread or pizza dough fresh out of the oven!
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 7:09:18 PM EDT
[#20]
I made this with my Father (who passed in 1986).
It’s called pinwheel bread and I make it with my kids…

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 11:27:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Hard to beat some nice fluffy yeast rolls. This is a very versatile recipe if anyone wants to try an enriched dough. I use it for sammich loaves, buns, sub rolls etc.

Link Posted: 3/21/2022 10:20:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Hard to beat some nice fluffy yeast rolls. This is a very versatile recipe if anyone wants to try an enriched dough. I use it for sammich loaves, buns, sub rolls etc.

https://i.imgur.com/VbrQzzx.jpg?1
View Quote

@MainePure
Recipie?

My loaf this weekend. I do a poolish the day before then just fit the kneading and rising/proofing in as I can the next day.
Here is a good youtube vid on bread making. https://youtu.be/5mehXzl7yHA

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 10:51:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Do pretzels count.  Holy hell these were fantastic….
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 11:29:15 AM EDT
[#24]
View Quote

Oh my...
Recipe?
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 5:06:24 PM EDT
[#25]
The “yellow post it note” recipe is the one in the picture but the handwritten one may be easier to understand and they’re pretty close.  As stated DONT omit the boiling w/baking soda as its extremely important

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 5:09:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 9:45:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

@MainePure
Recipie?
View Quote

This recipe is from our baking class manual and was written to demonstrate how to hand mix and evaluate gluten development. At home I just use a Kitchenaid w a dough hook. I do 2.5oz portions for a nice sized roll. If you haven't hand-rolled dough into buns or rolls before, there is a technique for doing so that is definitely worth learning. This dough can be shaped into whatever you want, I use it for sub rolls, burger and hot dog buns, dinner rolls, and sandwich loaves. Enjoy!

Link Posted: 3/24/2022 9:54:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The “yellow post it note” recipe is the one in the picture but the handwritten one may be easier to understand and they’re pretty close.  As stated DONT omit the boiling w/baking soda as its extremely important

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/137149/D9FBA7C5-BE58-418D-AEDA-CC29350202C9_jpe-2323725.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/137149/EEB5DFA1-6AE8-4EE5-97A6-0ACA7C5F774B_jpe-2323726.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/137149/BC661E6E-982E-46AF-A199-41B89B28C9F3_jpe-2323727.JPG
View Quote

This looks awesome I'm going to try it this weekend. Thank you for posting. I have some everything bagel seasoning that I'm thinking might work well here.
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 10:11:10 AM EDT
[#29]
View Quote

I would have a difficult time not consuming all of those as fast as possible
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 10:33:13 AM EDT
[#30]
Long ago - decades ago - my sister purchased a "bread machine".

It takes the work out of making bread, and includes recipes.
She made different types of bread loafs.

You do not "need" a machine, but it might make learning and doing it easier.

Personally, I stopped consuming bread, pasta, anything made from flower.
From 1960 to 1980 bakers added potassium iodine to flower which I think made possible the fluffy light bread we all know about.
My grandfather used to eat very heavy hard to chew rye bread - he knew 1 baker in town who would make it for him - like in the old country.
The average person consumed around 1 mg of Iodine from bakery products.
As a boy, I loved cookies and milk so much, who knows how much Iodine I consumed ?

The head of the NIH in 1949 vilified iodine (based on erroneous study on rats), and got the medical community to stop
prescribing iodine and instead use the new pharmaceutical drugs.
Even today, if your doctor finds you have low thyroid hormone levels in your blood, he/she will not ask you if you eat enough iodine, instead you get a prescription for synthetic thyroid hormones.  What big pharma does to make more money.
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 10:33:48 AM EDT
[#31]
It was determine that 0.150 mg was enough IODINE to prevent goiters, and thus this become the RDA.
RDA is 0.150 mg (150 mcg) with an upper limit of 1.1 mg per day.
If your local nuclear power plant has an emergency - you will be told to consume 150 mg of IODINE each day to protect your body from the radioactive Iodine-131 released from the nuclear power plant (or WW3 nuclear bomb).  After Chernobyl, all the children in Ukraine were given high dose IODINE and it saved their thyroids from developing cancer.

The production of thyroid hormones is controlled by the brain.
The brain monitors T4 (thyroid hormone with 4 iodine atoms), and when it gets low the brain releases Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).
The problem is that there are a very very few people (under 1% of the population) whose thyroid does not listen to the brain - the more iodine such a person eats, the more thyroid hormones are produced.  Such people really need to keep their iodine intake low.
Iodine is used in more organs of the body, but doctors only learn about Thyroid use.

So, around 1980 the medical community somehow got the baking industry to replace potassium iodine with potassium bromine.
Bromine competes with iodine.  The human body can't tell the difference.
When your body is flooded with Bromine, even if you eat sufficient iodine, the iodine receptors already have Bromine attached to them.
This causes low thyroid hormone production, and more people taking prescription thyroid medication.

Some countries (Europe) banned bromine in food, but here in the USA we need to fund those poor pharma companies.

So, I stopped bread and pasta, and instead I buy 5 minute instant rice and instant mashed potatoes instead.
Very easy to make.

I'm not a fanatic about bread.  Sometimes I eat a hotdog with a BUN.  Sometimes I buy cookies.
But these are occasional exceptions.

Something to think about.

Regards
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 10:46:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Iodine is used in more organs of the body, but doctors only learn about the Thyroid.

Medical Science knows that the Thymus takes in Iodine, alot of Iodine, but never bothered to figure out how the Thymus uses Iodine.

BTW, the Thymus matures the T-Cells which fight viruses.
The Thymus also shrinks as we age (called "involution") and eventually turns to fat and disappears.
No wonder old people are more susceptible to diseases?
But no CDC money grants to study this ?

Thyroid is in the neck.
Thymus is in the upper chest.

Link Posted: 3/24/2022 11:07:07 AM EDT
[#33]
The Bread Baker’s Bible or tithe Bread Baker’s Apprentice are good books.  Not needed but they are a sound resource.  Most of the recipes are two day recipes, ie you make a starter/poolish/bigga the day before to let it develop flavor.   That is a pain in the ass when you try to last minute things.  I have made a starter and just set it out for two hours versus over night.  It will make a good bread but you will lack some of the yeasty flavors.

My last loaf was a rye bread.  I had made a few flops of it before, using cheap white flour with the white rye I use.   They would spread out like a cow patty when baked.  Oh that pissed me off.  Still delicious for bread and butter, eat with soups etc, but not the sammich bread I was looking for.   I finally started buying better for bread flour.  Bingo, nice loaves.  The cheap store label flour lacked the gluten for structure.

French bread is relatively easy.  An Italian loaf is good too.  I need a good semolina bread recipe.

I use a Kitchen aid tilt head with a 325 watt motor.    Go bigger.  Even if mine isn’t the smallest motor it is maxed out.  If it dies I will get. bigger one that isn’t a tilt head.  I hate the price they have got up to.  Mine was a deep cut Christmas deal back around 2004.  It ain’t dead yet!

Link Posted: 3/29/2022 12:45:31 PM EDT
[#34]
@MainePure

So.....did you make those Pretzels last weekend?  Just scored 10 lbs of good bread flour and was thinking of making my Pinwheel Bread or Pretzels soon.  It'll probably be the Pretzels, and my poor carb intake will get all shot to hell the moment they are finished.......
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 5:42:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
@MainePure

So.....did you make those Pretzels last weekend?  Just scored 10 lbs of good bread flour and was thinking of making my Pinwheel Bread or Pretzels soon.  It'll probably be the Pretzels, and my poor carb intake will get all shot to hell the moment they are finished.......
View Quote

We had company so I didn't have a chance to make them over the weekend, but I did mention it to my wife and now I'm definitely on the hook haha. I'll give it a shot this week and let you know how they came out.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 8:29:47 AM EDT
[#36]
I've been making bread for a bit now.  Getting better every time.  I've been following this guy as he likes to explain the reasoning behind the ratio and why the process works.  The science behind the baking has really intrigued me.  Understanding it has helped to improve my baking.  

As others have said, weigh your ingredients.  Measuring by volume can be thrown off by density, especially the flour.  

Understanding the difference between bread flour, all purpose flour, and pasty flour also helps in the finished product.  It's all about protien and gluten.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 9:56:06 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
@MainePure

View Quote

@Zoomer302

They were absolutely delicious! My son ate 3 of them. I used everything bagel seasoning and it is killer. Chick fil A sauce mixed with mayo for dipping. I think I need to flip them in the boiling water for a little longer next time to avoid the splitting. Or maybe I under proofed a little. I'll work it out. The flavor and texture is fantastic though, everything you want in a soft pretzel. Thanks for this recipe!

Link Posted: 3/31/2022 4:06:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Wife bakes a fair amount of sourdough bread. Would occasionally have a doorstop. When she switched to sams bread flour in 25 lb bags her bread became much better and to date hasn’t had a single misstep. After
The first bag we were convinced. We now have 50 lbs of it in a fridge waiting for her to get ready to fix more bread.  

Much cheaper/lb and better product.
Link Posted: 4/2/2022 7:43:10 PM EDT
[#39]
I bought a used bread maker a couple months ago and have been using it a ton!  Works great and almost no work required.  Just got a sourdough starter from a neighbor and am going to give that a try soon!
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 12:28:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

@Zoomer302

They were absolutely delicious! My son ate 3 of them. I used everything bagel seasoning and it is killer. Chick fil A sauce mixed with mayo for dipping. I think I need to flip them in the boiling water for a little longer next time to avoid the splitting. Or maybe I under proofed a little. I'll work it out. The flavor and texture is fantastic though, everything you want in a soft pretzel. Thanks for this recipe!

https://i.imgur.com/9WZ8ITl.jpg?1
View Quote

They look awesome.  I'd eat the hell out of those......
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 2:41:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

They look awesome.  I'd eat the hell out of those......
View Quote

They were gone in 1 day.

I told my baking class instructor about them this morning, she hooked me up with some lye to play around with.

Link Posted: 4/9/2022 8:50:53 AM EDT
[#42]
First go at sourdough for me on my own (did it once with my boss who is all about it).

Waiting for them to cool as they’re fresh out of the oven.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

ETA: The crumb.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 9:25:45 AM EDT
[#43]
Get a bread machine.  My wife and SIL are knocking it out of the park with their bread machine recipes.  They are learning how to control how tough the crust gets.  
One thing though, your homemade bread will mold much, much, much faster than store bought bread.  
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 9:30:32 AM EDT
[#44]
My mom gave me a copy of The Secrets of Jesuit Breadmaking a long time ago.

https://www.amazon.com/Secrets-Jesuit-Breadmaking-Rick-Curry/dp/0060951184

You can grab used copies off the internet for < $5. Great book, I used to make bread a lot
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 11:59:30 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
One thing though, your homemade bread will mold much, much, much faster than store bought bread.
View Quote

This is why I make relatively small loaves.  The bread all gets eaten within a day or so, which means it's all gone before it can mold.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 12:14:12 PM EDT
[#46]
It freezes just fine.  I make 1 large boule or 2 smaller boules.  I cut them into pieces that will be ok for 3-5 days, and then freeze them. Usually the large boule I split into 1/3's, the smaller boules get split in half. put one section in the bread drawer, freeze the rest. We will get one out when one is about gone.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 9:30:10 AM EDT
[#47]
Old school sub and bump.  Finally going to get into this.  Thanks to all who posted recipes.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 10:28:21 AM EDT
[#48]
I'm still using the youtube video above to make some bread. I like making the poolish a day in advance. And, I moved up to proofing baskets.
This loaf is filled with rosemary and Kalamata olives.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 8:31:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Irish soda bread, very heavy type bread great with soup and stews.  Look up Bigger bolder baking on the inter webs. She’s a chef that started her own cooking blog and has a lot of tips.  I haven’t made anything that wasn’t less then really good with her recipes and tips.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top