Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/6/2018 4:30:34 PM EDT
Looking to reintroduce my kids to private school this Fall.  We've had a great run, but they miss being around other kids.  There are a couple of great small private schools nearby (one Lutheran, one Catholic).  I had planned to send them back to private school eventually prior to high school.

Does anyone have any tips to share for transitioning homeschooled kids back to regular school?
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 7:31:38 PM EDT
[#1]
How long did you isolate them from society and how far behind are they academically?
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 8:07:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 8:13:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 8:29:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I homeschooled up until high school. Only went to public school so I could continue playing football. Football was great for learning about working hard and team work. However, everything available academically in my school I had already done by 8th grade. It did make school very easy for me but in hindsight I would rather have continued receiving a better education.

I’ve heard some of the rules have changed nowadays though that would allow a homeschooled student to play high school sports in the district they reside. That would have been ideal.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 8:44:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By thedave1164:

@BigeasySnow

This is a technical forum, not GD

Thanks
View Quote
Sorry, it came up under new threads and I didn't notice it wasn't GD.  I didn't even know we had a homeschooling forum.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 9:19:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 9:50:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By BigeasySnow:
Sorry, it came up under new threads and I didn't notice it wasn't GD.  I didn't even know we had a homeschooling forum.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BigeasySnow:
Originally Posted By thedave1164:

@BigeasySnow

This is a technical forum, not GD

Thanks
GOTCHA!!!

That happens to me a couple of times a week, I give a friendly smart-ass response then go "Oh, SHIT! It's in a TECHNICAL forum!!! Edit Edit WHERE'S THE EDIT BUTTON!!!"
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 12:20:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jarem08] [#8]
Originally Posted By spartacus2002:
Looking to reintroduce my kids to private school this Fall.  We've had a great run, but they miss being around other kids.  There are a couple of great small private schools nearby (one Lutheran, one Catholic).  I had planned to send them back to private school eventually prior to high school.

Does anyone have any tips to share for transitioning homeschooled kids back to regular school?
View Quote
I don't plan to transition mine, but have seen enough parents to do so.

First, find out what the daily schedules are. Right now start getting your kids in those habits. They may be ahead educationally but unless they had to sit in a desk for set periods of time and go from one class room to another, they may be a little behind.

Second, find out about dress protocols. My kids are young (7, 8) so P.J. day is still exciting. Not saying you didnt, but would start getting them used to having to wear uniforms or at least be dressed by a certain time.

Third, are you driving them to school or does the school have a bus? This does make a difference. My old HS had two buses and they were private. If so, make sure they are used to getting up in time to catch the ride.

Fourth, NOTE TAKING SKILLS ARE A MUST. If they are not used to taking detailed notes and assignment dates, start giving them that lessons now.

Fifth, lunch pepping. They,at least I am guessing, will not be able to get snacks throughout the day (unless needed medically). They can't just run to the lunch room and eat. See when they are scheduled to eat and start restricting them to that time and that length of time.

Sixth, Make sure they have EVERYTHING! It is easier to have your own book than borrow or share with someone because their own is at home on the counter (yes, speaking from experience). This covers many things that may be forgotten.

Seventh, sleep well the night before. Classes are really rough right after lunch.

Eighth, get them used to only the allotted breaks that the schools allow. Also limit their time to the same.

Ninth, also coincide your school calendar with the schools. When they are off, you are. When they are in, you are. This starts to get them geared for it.

I hope these things help. Of course, ymmv from what I have seen, and you may or may not be doing this stuff already. Just some of my observations.

ETA: BE THAT PARENT that KNOWS what your kids are learning, what they are hearing, what they are being taught and what they are doing, who their friends are, where they are going, etc.

Too many times, and I am not saying this is you, the parents just drop off their kids and there is no interest, communication, involvement or leading of any kind. They just let the kids flounder and wonder what happened and why their kids screwed up.
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 12:37:30 AM EDT
[#9]
We unceremoniously tossed two kids into a couple of classes at the high school.  No prep, we wanted them to learn to adapt and independently learn to thrive.  I'd say it took 6 months, now they are bored and doing very well academically.

New experience is good.  Learning to handle it is also good.
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 7:47:36 PM EDT
[#10]
i was home-schooled through 8th grade then transitioned to a private high school, and i it was a good experience.

if i had one suggestion it would be to transition at a changing point. like from middle to high school or, elementary to middle. that way everybody is starting new and you have the opportunity to jump through the hoops like everybody else. i would not suggest transitioning as a junior or a senior in high school where everybody else has had a chance to build friendships, and you wind up the odd man out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top