Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2022 7:50:17 PM EDT
Hi guys. I figured I'd bring the collective in on this decision since you know far more about it than I do and I trust you folks.

I'm building a new workstation around a Ryzen 5600G. I was going to use the processor to upgrade the 2700 I have now. However, 5k series support on the X470 is... sketchy. At best. I'd have to use the latest beta BIOS from MSI, with support for AMD ComboAm4v2PI 1.2.0.5 which the grapevine tells me is extremely buggy. I don't know if MSI plans to release anything better or more stable. If that's the best MSI is going to give us, then I was going to need more than just the CPU.  

So, I decided to get a new motherboard. Then it just kind of became its own thing. New M.2 drive, new RAM, new case, new CPU cooler, everything but a new PSU, which I will probably get. I was going to port Windows 10 over to it, but I decided rather than do that, perhaps I could leave Windows 10 in the current system and put Linux on the new system. I'd still have a Windows PC if I needed one, but could switch to Linux for everyday use. Plus, it would allow me to use my current Dell color laser printer again which I had to stop using because there is no Win-10 driver for it. I'm running Mint on my laptop now and it works pretty well. It provided a new lease on life for it after the Windows XP install on it ate itself. That leaves the choice of which distro for the new rig.

I've heard Zorin OS is really nice. It sounds like Linux has come a long way since I last used it regularly back in 2010 or so. I've been out of the Linux game for a while so I no longer know what's good and if there are any distros to avoid. What are your thoughts?
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 10:42:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Anything based on Debian Ubuntu is a good choice, Zorin is a very nice distro and very stable.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 8:06:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Anything based on Debian Ubuntu is a good choice, Zorin is a very nice distro and very stable.
View Quote

Thanks! The past few times I've installed a distro, I've used Mint since it seemed the most comprehensive of them all for basic use. I've needed something with good hardware support since I've mostly installed it on older systems. But, I was curious to find out if there was something better. I saw that Mint is still very popular on Distrowatch, though. MX Linux seems to be the hotness now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top