Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2021 8:58:08 PM EDT
I have a room I’m using for online physical therapy, exercise, still photography and assorted zoom meetings.

To give my PT Nazi a good view I’ve got lights mounted on a cross bar on top of my old bogen tripod and my phone mounted on a light stand with boom.

The tripod takes up a bunch of real estate so I’d like to loose it.  
What I was thinking was some kind of bar going across the ceiling to mount lighting and reflectors/defusers.
Is there something like that on the market or am I going to have to design?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 11:31:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 11:41:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Currently the lights are pretty light weight and cheesy but I’m going to up my game in that area.

I’d also like to have things not look to cheap.

Thank you
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 12:44:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
What I was thinking was some kind of bar going across the ceiling to mount lighting and reflectors/defusers.
Is there something like that on the market or am I going to have to design?
View Quote

You bet there is.  They can get pricy, though.

Rail systems
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 1:48:22 AM EDT
[#4]
IMO for $100 or less you could build a pretty solid rail system, assuming your lights are compatible with standard 1/4 thread arca plates.  2x4 with some counter sunk 3/8 bolts to screw into some inexpensive arca ball heads at whatever spacing you want.  Barring that, if your lights are already flexibly mounted, you could just get some video head mounts and screw those to a 2x4 that you've prettied up.

If either of those sound workable, I can dig up some links to stuff.

Personally I'd get a good high output and high CRI video light with a bowens mount and slap a rice bowl modifier on it for video and swap to whatever modifier you need for photos.  You can wall mount them with a triangle boom arm for $80 or so.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 11:01:13 AM EDT
[#5]
I don’t have the acra plate system.  My quick release plates are the older six sided Bogen type which have been pretty obsoleted.

I am interested in what ever ideas you have.

ETA: I’d love to change to the acra style mounts but my large tripod uses the older style
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 7:45:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I think I’m going to use unistrut.  There are trolleys available which would be pretty handy
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 2:17:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don’t have the acra plate system.  My quick release plates are the older six sided Bogen type which have been pretty obsoleted.

I am interested in what ever ideas you have.

ETA: I’d love to change to the acra style mounts but my large tripod uses the older style
View Quote

So long as your tripod has a removable head, you can swap to pretty much anything you want.  Assuming it has a 3/8 thread on it.  Unistrut would work, although unless they make a trolley with a brake/locking system (no idea) figuring out a way to hold itself in position might be important.  Once that's figured out, we can work on adapting light mounts to it though.  I'd need to put some thought into it and probably some photos posted so I can poke at it.

If you're willing to do some DIY work, you can definitely make some solid lighting modifiers on the cheap.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 9:32:15 AM EDT
[#8]
For consideration: KupoGrip's Kupole System
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 9:58:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Black iron pipe. Use some elbows and floor flanges to attach a cross bar to the ceiling.

Then you can use superclamps to attach whatever to the pipe.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 2:57:40 PM EDT
[#10]
I ended up picking up a chunk of unistrut.  They have all sort of different attachments including the trolley that I mentioned.  I’m mounting to the ceiling with lag bolts.  I also drilled and tapped 8-32 threads every six inch to hide/attach cables.Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 8:34:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Black iron pipe. Use some elbows and floor flanges to attach a cross bar to the ceiling.

Then you can use superclamps to attach whatever to the pipe.
View Quote

Damn, I wish I had thought of that.  That's a super good idea.

OP what kind of lighting setup are you looking at?  LED video lights, strobes, etc?  Different mounting solutions and all.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 2:32:03 PM EDT
[#12]
I’ve got the unistrut up!  I really like getting crap off of floor.

I’m currently using 5000 k bulbs in shop fixtures for lighting which is fine for zoom meetings and I’m not taking pictures of people.

I’d like to up the game on lights (output and adjustable color) as budget allows.  

Suggestions?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 4:57:13 PM EDT
[#13]
If you want a light to double as a video and photo light, you'll be looking at high output LEDs mostly.  GVM has some incredibly well reviewed stuff that is color temp variable or full rgb and temp with high CRI depending on budget.  They panel type are extremely variable, but harder to diffuse.  On the other hand, their bowens mount video lights will take any light modifier but aren't rgb.  You can gel them for colors though.

Barring that, we're at DIY gear or a budget higher than $300.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 6:22:54 PM EDT
[#14]
I’ve been looking at that brand on B&H.  I don’t completely understand the difference between bicolor and rgb lights but am considering a 560AS bicolor to see if the style will fit what I want to do.  It looks like the mount is a standard 5/8 so I can use a magic arm or whatever.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 6:32:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I’ve been looking at that brand on B&H.  I don’t completely understand the difference between bicolor and rgb lights but am considering a 560AS bicolor to see if the style will fit what I want to do.  It looks like the mount is a standard 5/8 so I can use a magic arm or whatever.
View Quote

Bicolor should be white with variable color temperature. In light bulb terms, it goes from cool white, to natural daylight, to warm white by mixing yellow white and blue white diodes.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 10:10:59 AM EDT
[#16]
I received the 560 over the weekend.  Overall I’m pleased but I was expecting even more light.  Quality is good, the mount arm can attach to two different places, color temperature and intensity is easily adjusted via the back panel, barn doors are fine, the supplied defuser works fine.

Im using the supplied power supply.  I haven’t tried the control application.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 4:01:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Supposedly the control app is pretty useful with those, but I have no practical experience since I'm running strobes for 99% of my stuff.  Good to hear the lights are working for you though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top