Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2022 3:22:35 PM EDT
I have a couple from a PX about ~30 yrs ago (with unit decal, US flag, scrimshaw, etc.

I bought a butane insert and an arc insert.

Ref the butane insert:
1. I assume the manual warns to only use zippo or ronson fuel because $$ - not a legit reason, right?
2. I own nothing else which is butane refillable - can I just hold it in the refill position for 5min or does the unit fill in 30 sec and at the 45 sec mark I am dumping butane into the room?
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 3:59:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Brand of butane shouldn't matter. I picked up a can of Newport just because it had the cap with with multiple nozzle adapters.

The lighter should mostly fill in 3 to 5 seconds.
A quick .25 second purge after refilling is optional to vent off any non-butane & top off butane with another 3 second fill.
The plastic adapter keeps the metal lighter bits from mucking up the butane nozzle and works as a purge tool without marring up the lighter.

Link Posted: 3/6/2022 7:11:11 PM EDT
[#2]
As a Zippo user for over 20 years... ^^^ FPNI.
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 1:06:30 AM EDT
[#3]
I was using the Zippo brand butane in my lighter since I bought the insert a little over a year ago.  Had problems with it plugging up and a weak flame.  My neighbor suggested I use a high quality butane. I picked up a can of the Xikar premium butane for $4 on Cigarbid and it seems to work much better.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 1:18:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was using the Zippo brand butane in my lighter since I bought the insert a little over a year ago.  Had problems with it plugging up and a weak flame.  My neighbor suggested I use a high quality butane. I picked up a can of the Xikar premium butane for $4 on Cigarbid and it seems to work much better.  YMMV.
View Quote

For my Old Boy lighters I use the Xikar or Colibri.  Never had any clogging.
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 12:27:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I just get the white can of Zippo brand of butane at my local Publix for $3.99, or so.

I’m not convinced, through decades of constant jet flame usage, that all butane is created equally and I am convinced that as time goes on, or one gets near the bottom of the can, the BTUs diminish.

‘So smoke ‘em, if you got ‘em.’

Chris
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 12:28:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, I have found that XIKAR fluid works better.  And I have 4 or 5 cans of RONSON butane at home.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top