Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2021 4:36:41 PM EDT
Anyone know anything about this brand.

They have some nice looking watches, but I’m unsure of the quality.

How about Mido?
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 5:58:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Never heard of them before now. I checked out the website. I wouldn't pay that much for a watch with acrylic or mineral crystal instead of sapphire, but that's just me.

I've never owned a MIDO but I know they get decent reviews.
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 7:19:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Never heard of them before now. I checked out the website. I wouldn't pay that much for a watch with acrylic or mineral crystal instead of sapphire, but that's just me.

View Quote

That’s what got me. $1000 and no sapphire crystal.

MIDO has some good looking pieces as well.
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 8:15:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Zeno Watch Basel makes some very nice watches. I’ve owned a few over the years. Think I still have a couple left.
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 8:26:42 PM EDT
[#4]
They are a very old company.

Zeno Watch Basel is legit,
Mid 1800s start.

Even before the quartz crisis they were a minor player and consolidated to s smaller location in Switzerland from their original.  But did get back to Basel.  They have kind of ligered and may design some of their own, but can’t manufacture it all and contract with other Swiss makers for parts.  This is not unusual, there are very few complete in house companies like Rolex and Seiko.  And many brands currently claiming to be completely in house are only so because their brand is part of a multi brand parent company.

Keep in mind their are also watches labeled Zeno - USA, which I believe was a license to use the name but import Zeno Watch Basel looking designs but with Asian components.

They do some classic looking designs and a few unusual models.
As an independent think of it as trying to stay afloat with your little restaurant surrounded by low, mid, and high end chains.
It’s kind of a 20 employee, 3 million in sales a year kind of thing.

If you look at market share,  this is based on share of total dollars sold/exported, not numbers of watches, you see how even a common brand like Breitling or TAG is a very minor player.

By numbers, it gives you a sense of total volume, price per watch.
About 16 Billion Swiss Franc of watches leave their manufacturers in a year.  Keep in mind this is their value leaving the factory, they wholesale price paid for them more, and even more  what is getting paid to distributors and manufacturers.

Totally, the Swiss output of 16B CHF wholesale retails for about 32 Billion CHF retail.  Not on the tag retails, but essential street prices.

Rolex sells a million watches, about 8 billion CHF retail
Omega and Cartier about 500K each,
For 3 and 2 billion retail CHF  respectively.
Patek only 50K or so watches, but about 2B CHF retail,
Longines about 1.5 million watches for 2 billion CHF retail, about 6% market share francs wise.
Tissot about 2.5 million watches that retails for a billion, about 3% market share,
Breithtling is pumping out about 150K watches that will retail for about 750 million, for about 2.5% market share.
Tudor puts out about 250K watches that will retail about 650 million for about 2% market share.

Anyways, I found a chart of the top 50 by market share, and about half of those are 1% market share or less.

Link Posted: 8/30/2021 6:05:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Acrylic has a certain vintage charm. It catches light a bit differently than sapphire and it can be polished back up when it gets minor scratches.

I have no love for mineral crystals.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top