Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/19/2019 10:28:08 PM EDT
I’ve read a lot in this genre over the past four or so years, and I believe the WTF series by WJ Lundy to be my favorite, followed closely by the Mountain Man series by Keith C Blackmore. What’s yours, and what would you recommend? I’ve read books from DJ Molles, JL Bourne, Stephen Knight, David Achord, Joshua Guess, Caleb Cleek, Booby Adair, and Dirk Patton.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 10:35:12 PM EDT
[#1]
John Ringo's Black Tide Rising series.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 10:41:16 PM EDT
[#2]
V. Plague

I'm on book 18;   pretty awesome series.   Everyone that I've told about it gets immediately hooked.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 11:23:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Bob Hope on Zombies and Democrats
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 11:38:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 12:18:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 1:56:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
V. Plague

I'm on book 18;   pretty awesome series.   Everyone that I've told about it gets immediately hooked.
View Quote
I read up to the 7th, and then lost interest. I’ll give the series another try though.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 2:01:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
I’ll give it a look-see.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 2:48:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Adrian's undead diary
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 1:25:09 AM EDT
[#9]
I loved the JL Bourne series,  I thought world war Z was ok (nothing like the movie BTW), Just got the 1st Johnny Ringo book gonna give that a try.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 9:10:52 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm not into zombies but other then the Ringo "Black Tide Rising" series, the best I ever read was "Irregular Scout Team One" by J.F. Holmes.

You can buy individual parts, the entire book, and several other related stories on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Irregular-Scout-Team-One-Killers-ebook/dp/B00GR4G2KA/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1548205713&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=irregular+scout+team+one&psc=1

The reason the Ringo books are so good is because of high quality writing, and mostly because unlike classical zombies, Ringo's are plausible.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 9:31:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm not into zombies but other then the Ringo "Black Tide Rising" series, the best I ever read was "Irregular Scout Team One" by J.F. Holmes.

You can buy individual parts, the entire book, and several other related stories on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Irregular-Scout-Team-One-Killers-ebook/dp/B00GR4G2KA/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1548205713&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=irregular+scout+team+one&psc=1

The reason the Ringo books are so good is because of high quality writing, and mostly because unlike classical zombies, Ringo's are plausible.
View Quote
I liked that one. One of the first z books I bought
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 4:24:59 PM EDT
[#12]
"Arisen"  Series by Michael Stephen Fuchs.  I think there were 14 or so Books.  Great series overall.
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 7:39:05 PM EDT
[#13]
For audiobooks, I loved Were Alive. Great series although I had a harder time getting into the spin off lockdown story.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 2:45:57 AM EDT
[#14]
FPNI

Not really my genre, but I really loved World War Z also.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 3:28:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
Came to post this.
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 1:27:40 PM EDT
[#16]
I just read the girl with all the gifts.  If you haven't checked it out do it now,  amazing zombie fiction that is a little different than that normal for this genre.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 5:23:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
FPNI

View Quote
Also a fan of World War Z by Max Brooks.  Movie was a completely different story, should have had a different name, too.
Link Posted: 4/20/2019 4:16:02 PM EDT
[#18]
I didn’t really enjoy rereading world war z. I liked it the first time, but that was about 7 or so years ago. I highly recommend the Zulu Virus trilogy from Steven Konkoly.
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 9:25:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
"Arisen"  Series by Michael Stephen Fuchs.  I think there were 14 or so Books.  Great series overall.
View Quote
Yep.  Definately worth reading.
Link Posted: 5/18/2019 6:22:49 PM EDT
[#20]
The Rising by Brian Keene.  It won the Stoker award for best first novel.  Recommend for any zombie lover.
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 1:38:57 PM EDT
[#21]
I started the 5 Roads to Texas series of books.  I couldn't put the first one down, definitely worth a look.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 9:30:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I enjoyed the hell out of the "Arisen" series...
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 9:48:49 PM EDT
[#23]
David Moody Autumn Series. (Don't be fooled by the movie, the books are really good and thoughtful.)

Also, David Wellington "Monster" series (Monster Island, Monster Nation, Monster Planet) a very different take on the Z phenomenon.

Adrian's Undead Diary is also good.

These ones I have read several times.
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 6:33:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I just read the girl with all the gifts.  If you haven't checked it out do it now,  amazing zombie fiction that is a little different than that normal for this genre.
View Quote
I just finished.  Very good story, and IMO much better writing than many books of the zombie genre.

Now I'm off to see the movie version and read the prequel...
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 9:58:27 PM EDT
[#25]
I just finished the Ex-Heroes series by Peter Clines.

It was a page turner. It  mixes zombies with heroes (think comic book...) and regular people in a sort of post zombopocalypse world. People have to learn to survive, scavenge, and deal with constant threat of zombies and other humans.

The language and prose is very accessible.  It does jump timelines (flashbacks for character and plot develipment), and perspectives (some chapters are narrated by each character so you get their take on things). So make sure you pay attention to the chapter headings ( Then....Now...).
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 1:00:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Black Tide series.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 1:36:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Same here.  I liked DBDA also.

ETA_ : Arisen author Fuchs is a rabid liberal, Ilan Oman supporting, anti-Trumper.  Just found out by going to his blog.  Pretty pathetic really.  I'll move on to another series.  Screw that guy.
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 7:53:33 PM EDT
[#28]
I highly recommend "Surviving the Dead" series.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 7:36:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I just finished the Ex-Heroes series by Peter Clines.

It was a page turner. It  mixes zombies with heroes (think comic book...) and regular people in a sort of post zombopocalypse world. People have to learn to survive, scavenge, and deal with constant threat of zombies and other humans.

The language and prose is very accessible.  It does jump timelines (flashbacks for character and plot develipment), and perspectives (some chapters are narrated by each character so you get their take on things). So make sure you pay attention to the chapter headings ( Then....Now...).
View Quote
I second this series.  Very well written.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 8:08:36 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 10:35:09 PM EDT
[#31]
tooth and nail and the za recht series are not bad.

read some others.  I enjoyed the JLbourne series and another I just finished
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 11:27:32 PM EDT
[#32]
All of the above and I will add
Mark Tufo's Zombie Fallout to the list.
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 8:09:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Also a fan of World War Z by Max Brooks.  Movie was a completely different story, should have had a different name, too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
FPNI

That and the Zombie Survival Guide by Brooks are both fun reads.

He came and spoke at UAB during the big zombie phase, he signed a copy for me.

Did y’all know he’s the son of Mel Brooks?
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 8:23:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
This!!
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 2:50:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Jonathan Maberry

Has some excellent zombie books. They’re fast paced and full of action. Sometimes you get the zombies perspective too.
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 12:55:57 AM EDT
[#36]
Not a traditional zombie book, but one of the most disturbing books I have read:

Suffer the Children
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 3:29:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Just finished reading These Dead Lands: Desolation. Highly recommend it and Immolation as well.
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 5:49:20 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Day by Day Armageddon by J. L. Bourne
View Quote
The first one was good. The second sucked.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 7:24:25 PM EDT
[#39]
As the World Dies

Read it years ago when the author posted it free on a website.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 7:58:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
THIS!
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 12:55:19 AM EDT
[#41]
Just finished Rick Cole’s “The End of the World As We Knew It”. I recommend it. It’s a bit morbid, but a good read.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B014E7QPTO/ref=tmm_kin_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1581396625&sr=8-1
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 12:41:03 PM EDT
[#42]
I like the Ex heroes series.

I lost interest in the black tide rising series after the fifth (?) book

Anyone else read the Blackmore Mountain Man series?  Came up as a recommendation on my Audible account.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 12:41:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Day by day armageddon by J.L. Bourne is a really good series. I like his Tomorrow War series the best but it's not zombies it's more of a survival after an massive economical collapse, fight the elites trying to take over the government story.

Lee Hardin series by DJ Moles, it's really good as well with an interesting take on a zombie type plague

Slow burn series by Bobby Adair. I enjoyed it as well. Bought the whole series for .99 cents on amazon but that sale seems to be over.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 12:44:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Extinction Event series has my interest for now, I think I'm on book 3
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 9:41:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

yes

But overall it's only slightly better than the original World War Z, which was amazing (but totally different).

Larry Correia includes a fair amount of zombies in the MHI series, and Ringo include some very important parts in his spin off books that revolve around Zombies.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 12:13:58 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I like the Ex heroes series.

I lost interest in the black tide rising series after the fifth (?) book

Anyone else read the Blackmore Mountain Man series?  Came up as a recommendation on my Audible account.
View Quote

Mountain Man is pretty good. I like all of Blackmore's stuff.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 5:22:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Mountain Man is pretty good. I like all of Blackmore's stuff.
View Quote

Gus, the protagonist in the Mountain Man series, is one of my favorite characters in a book series. Also, the opening arc in book 4 is one of the best pieces of fiction I’ve read in a long time.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 10:15:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Gus, the protagonist in the Mountain Man series, is one of my favorite characters in a book series. Also, the opening arc in book 4 is one of the best prices of fiction I’ve read in a long time.
View Quote

I agree. Blackmore does a really good job of writing your "everyman" type character. His werewolf series is good and i also really enjoyed his collection of short stories.
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 10:02:02 PM EDT
[#49]
I am a big fan of zombie books. Its ben a while since I have read something just zombies. I have been branching out the last couple of years and readying anything and everyone. A lot of great authors mentioned here and, being an author myself, some that I have had personal conversations with.

Tony Monchinski wrote a series called Eden. I am a big fan of that series. Great guy and has a lot other books as well.

J. L. Molles Lee Harden series of books. I believe it is a two part series with the character. It has a lot of books and all are great. I couldn't put them down.

Now, a bit of a shameless plug. I just wrote a new book and had to publish it early because of a problem with a beta reader. It is called The Dead and The Living. . I hope to get book two written in a few months. I have a lot of ideas for this book series and no one is safe in the book. Not one character. Everyone is meant to die in it at some point.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 5:23:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Stumbled across this one in the Army many, MANY moons ago.

Before zombie fiction hit the mainstream, there was:

"The Dead" by Mark E Rogers
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top