Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/17/2021 1:40:46 PM EDT
I've seen more than a few videos of police at traffic stops demanding the window be rolled down or they were going to smash it.  

Here in MN during the winter it's pretty common for windows to freeze shut if a little water gets in them at certain spots.  Generally after about half an hour the cabin temp will work through the door and melt the problem.

But what would a cop do if when giving the command to roll down the window is told 'nope - frozen shut'  (Same thing if an electrical short or blown fuse means it won't roll down)

I'm guessing they'd not smash it then.

Contrast this with having cops show up with a warrant and being told the door lock to the home is frozen or otherwise broke.  Think they'd simply go 'okay we'll come back tomorrow after you've had a chance to fix it'

This makes me think that the whole 'roll it down further or I'll smash it' is all about power and authority and has no basis in legality.  (Exception for when police are planning to extract the driver for some other reason.  Not when the police are planning to extract the driver just for not rolling down his window)
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 1:41:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Comply or fry.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 1:41:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Open the door just a smidge?
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 1:41:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 1:43:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Remember the old days when you were expected to get out of the car after police pulled you over? I do, and wish it were that way today. Makes things much easier IMO.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 1:45:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

And this too. These cop threads are a sure way to get the blood boiling around here.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 1:46:26 PM EDT
[#6]

Glad I clicked here just for that gif.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 1:47:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Smash it! I thought they shot it out if you didn't comply!
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 1:49:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Based on watching cop shows, you are going to roll it down or open the door.  If you refuse both or "can't", they are going to extract you from the car, using force if needed.

The only other option is "oh ok, well I guess be on your way then since you can't hand me your license and registration", so I can't say that I blame them.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 1:51:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Tell them the window's frozen then open the door and hand them your shit.  It really is that simple.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 1:51:28 PM EDT
[#10]
If window is stuck, open door.
Compliance or consequences.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 1:52:35 PM EDT
[#11]
This reminds me the passenger side window on my beater stopped working. I need to check that out.

The only time I've gotten pulled over in recent years the cop approached from the passenger side.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 1:53:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Last time there was a checkpoint on the way home from work I just yelled he’d have to open the door, the window regulator is fucked up.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 1:53:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Tell them the window's frozen then open the door and hand them your shit.  It really is that simple.
View Quote

What if the dude claims to be a sovereign citizen. Does that then make him exempt from the rules?  
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 1:54:32 PM EDT
[#14]
What if your door lock freezes, thereby preventing you from completing an EE transaction?
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 1:56:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Comply with the law. If the officer wants more than what the law requires you to do... I'm in favor of sitting tight and recording. You'll get a decent settlement check from the government.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 1:56:35 PM EDT
[#16]
... then you open the door.

I swear, people make shit ten times as hard as it has to be.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 1:57:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
What if your door lock freezes, thereby preventing you from completing an EE transaction?
View Quote
Then you would be stuck inside your vehicle.  They will assist you in fixing that problem.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 1:58:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Remember the old days when you were expected to get out of the car after police pulled you over? I do, and wish it were that way today. Makes things much easier IMO.
View Quote

Pennsylvania v Mimms(1977).   This case said that police can order the driver out of the car.  Still in force and has not been overturned.  It probably won't because then MADD would be upset.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:03:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Pennsylvania v Mimms(1977).   This case said that police can order the driver out of the car.  Still in force and has not been overturned.  It probably won't because then MADD would be upset.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was simple back in those days. Dad was pulled for having burned out stop lights. When he stopped, he got out, as did everyone else back then. The Trooper gave him a warning ticket to get it fixed
and we were on our way. No big deal.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:05:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Comply with the law. If the officer wants more than what the law requires you to do... I'm in favor of sitting tight and recording. You'll get a decent settlement check from the government.
View Quote

While I agree with your guidance in principle, it assumes that the majority of the people actually know the law.  My experience has shown that not to be the case.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:07:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Cops in cold places know windows freeze.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:09:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:20:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:31:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
This makes me think that the whole 'roll it down further or I'll smash it' is all about power and authority and has no basis in legality.
View Quote

You've been a member here (and therefore on the internet) since 2007, and you're just now coming to this conclusion?

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:32:54 PM EDT
[#25]
So serious question for the LEO's - I am old enough to remember getting out of the car whenever I was pulled over...and with my speeding habits as a youth, that was frequently.  Never an issue.  These days you even open the damn door and you get a gun drawn on you.  What changed?  Isn't is safer for the officer to be able to see the person rather than wondering what he/she is digging for in the car?
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:38:15 PM EDT
[#26]
If someone wants to play games with cops they either win the game or lose or draw.

Its that simple.  

Their crying afterwards will usually have to do with how much they understood those rules.  

I have been pulled over plenty, when a cop is in “business mode” I dont fuck with them.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:42:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

“BUT WHAT IF” I have the dukes of hazard car and my doors are welded ahut and he asks me to open the door.  Then what?
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:45:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
... then you open the door.

I swear, people make shit ten times as hard as it has to be.
View Quote

Do a search of past threads from OP...there's a trend
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:46:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Cops in cold places know windows freeze.
View Quote

Believe it or not, our windows freeze up too
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:48:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Um, open your car door if the window is not operable or frozen.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:49:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
So serious question for the LEO's - I am old enough to remember getting out of the car whenever I was pulled over...and with my speeding habits as a youth, that was frequently.  Never an issue.  These days you even open the damn door and you get a gun drawn on you.  What changed?  Isn't is safer for the officer to be able to see the person rather than wondering what he/she is digging for in the car?
View Quote

We dislike having folks out and about for safety reasons. I've had passengers out before not pay attention to their surroundings and damn near get clipped by oncoming traffic. If you get out on a T stop with me, I won't draw my gun, but I will tell you to get back in your car and I'll be with you in a second. It also puts someone who may want to fight in somewhat of a disadvantage. Dude pulls a gun and is stuck in his car for the first second or so, and I'm out, I have much more options for engaging than he does. Same if he gets violent.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:49:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

People like to jump out and shoot you when you’re still in your car and unable to retreat or return fire
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:58:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Ask, tell, make. So easy, a caveman could do it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:59:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Cop just let me open the door when my window wouldn’t roll down for a stop two years ago.

I also was was not wearing pants. True story.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:02:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:04:45 PM EDT
[#36]
You peasants better get used to obeying and complying.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:13:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yeah-that has not been a thing for a long time. Getting out now unless specifically requested will get the officer's attention in a very bad way now.

Nick
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:15:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I've seen more than a few videos of police at traffic stops demanding the window be rolled down or they were going to smash it.  

Here in MN during the winter it's pretty common for windows to freeze shut if a little water gets in them at certain spots.  Generally after about half an hour the cabin temp will work through the door and melt the problem.

But what would a cop do if when giving the command to roll down the window is told 'nope - frozen shut'  (Same thing if an electrical short or blown fuse means it won't roll down)

I'm guessing they'd not smash it then.

Contrast this with having cops show up with a warrant and being told the door lock to the home is frozen or otherwise broke.  Think they'd simply go 'okay we'll come back tomorrow after you've had a chance to fix it'

This makes me think that the whole 'roll it down further or I'll smash it' is all about power and authority and has no basis in legality. (Exception for when police are planning to extract the driver for some other reason.  Not when the police are planning to extract the driver just for not rolling down his window)
View Quote

Why yes.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:16:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Yeah-that has not been a thing for a long time. Getting out now unless specifically requested will get the officer's attention in a very bad way now.

Nick
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nick

It strikes me as a huge potential problem for all involved that cops seem to expect everyone to know that these rules have changed. Cops seldom seem to realize that the public isn't "trained" to interact with them, and their expectations and commands are often baffling.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:17:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:20:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Nick
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nick

I wonder what changed. There is (I heard there is) a county in Florida that now requires the driver get out after being stopped. The sheriff said he feels it is safer than staying in the vehicle.

He said there are too many hidden items that they can't see, so he decided to ask people to get out on stops.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:20:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

People like to jump out and shoot you when you’re still in your car and unable to retreat or return fire
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had an uncle who used to tell me stories about people building concealed shotguns into their car door that could be fired when they opened their door as LEO approached.

Looking back now I think he might have just been watching too many bad action movies.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:25:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Do you think about anything else but cop stuff?
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:26:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Do you think about anything else but cop stuff?
View Quote

When you pull people, do you allow them to get out to talk to you? I was riding my motorcycle and got pulled over about 25 years ago (lane splitting ).

I got off the bike and he didn't care at all. That was also the first and only time I ever bullshitted my way out of a ticket. And I did indeed lay out a smooth line of shit and he took the bait. He was writing
the ticket and wrote "void" on it.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:27:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

It strikes me as a huge potential problem for all involved that cops seem to expect everyone to know that these rules have changed. Cops seldom seem to realize that the public isn't "trained" to interact with them, and their expectations and commands are often baffling.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nick

It's maybe 1 in 50 stops where someone gets out IME. I'd say staying in your seat is the norm, not the other way around. And of course there's training. When I learned to drive my parents told me exactly what was expected on traffic stops. Most TV shows and movies show folks staying in their seats during traffic stops
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:34:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

It's maybe 1 in 50 stops where someone gets out IME. I'd say staying in your seat is the norm, not the other way around. And of course there's training. When I learned to drive my parents told me exactly what was expected on traffic stops. Most TV shows and movies show folks staying in their seats during traffic stops
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nick

Driver's ed should include that shit IMO.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:37:36 PM EDT
[#47]
As others have said... open the door. I had a vehicle where only the rear passenger side window would go down.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:45:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Hey fellow GD firearms enthusiasts:  What if you were cleaning your guns and you confused superglue with Fireclean and glued your Glock 19 to your hands then the cops showed up at your door obviously mistaking your apartment for the next door freedom loving drug dealering neighbors?

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:47:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Smash it! I thought they shot it out if you didn't comply!
View Quote

only if your kids are on the otherside.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:50:05 PM EDT
[#50]
I solved this problem by making a cardboard license plate and writing "TRAVELING" on it.

Now when I get pulled over they bring a bunch of guys and make me get out of the car.

Seems to work fine.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top