Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 12/16/2018 3:31:32 AM EDT
There are some topics that just keep popping up every couple of months and I know this has been addressed numerous times before but I believe it’s so important to bring it up again especially with the holidays approaching. Very few gifts are as precious as a gift of life! Donating your organs is the ultimate gift and the best part is it doesn’t cost a dime.

In a previous post I replied to I described some of what my wife went through prior to getting a liver and kidney transplant in 2017.
Getting transplant organs has literally given her her life back. The suffering she endured prior to transplant was unbelievable.

If not for a simple selfless act on the part of her donor I would have lost my wife last year.

If you aren’t already an organ donor please consider becoming one. In my mind, the only possible reason for not doing it would be on religious grounds, I would never expect someone to go against their religious beliefs.

I’m not just talking about liver donors like in my wife’s case. I’ve once heard a person state they wouldn’t be an organ donor because it just lets alcoholics drink again.
I’m talking about cornea transplants that allow children to see or kidney transplants that allow people to live free again.
In my area the waiting list for a kidney transplant is at least 5 years. Imagine having to go to dialysis 3 times a week to be hooked up to a machine for hours at a time for 5 + years.
There are many reasons that put people in need of a transplant besides sin (alcohol, drugs, other risky activity, etc) like illness and genetic disorders.

And remember when you agree to be an organ donor please make sure the people you leave behind understand your wishes to give the gift of life.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 3:34:28 AM EDT
[#1]
I honestly can't understand why everyone isn't an organ donor.

It baffles me
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 3:42:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Good luck.  I plan on jumping off the tallest building in town when my health turns.  Bring a shop-vac
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 3:48:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It baffles me
View Quote
Because some people don't want too....you know, free choice and all

And the propaganda in every medical show promoting  transplants and organ donation is creepy as fuck.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 3:52:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Sorry for your wife but hell no I am not letting some hospital get rich off my organs and at the same time bill the crap out of my survivors for treatment before I died.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 3:54:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Sorry for your wife but hell no I am not letting some hospital get rich off my organs and at the same time bill the crap out of my survivors for treatment before I died.
View Quote
Are you saying that hospitals sell donated organs?
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 3:57:41 AM EDT
[#6]
If they were truly donated and not sold, I'd be a donor.

And of course none of the funds ever make it back to the donors family. Fuck 'em
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 3:58:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Are you saying that hospitals sell donated organs?
View Quote
You think they do it for free?
They may not sell it but you can bet your ass they make bank doing the procedure.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 3:59:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

And the propaganda in every medical show promoting  transplants and organ donation is creepy as fuck.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It baffles me

Seems stupid as hell to toss a bunch of perfectly good organs in the ground to rot while peopleare living in pain and often dying.

That's a whole lot of agony and pain that could be prevented cause you found some commercial creepy.

I guess if you or a loved one need an organ someday and they inch closer and closer to death while people throw away perfectly good organs every day, you'll understand
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 4:05:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Seems stupid as hell to toss a bunch of perfectly good organs in the ground to rot while peopleare living in pain and often dying.

That's a whole lot of agony and pain that could be prevented cause you found some commercial creepy.

I guess if you or a loved one need an organ someday and they inch closer and closer to death while people throw away perfectly good organs every day, you'll understand
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It baffles me

I also hate to think that the donor didn't receive 100% effort to save their lives,when the Dr's know that there are valuable organs to be "harvested" if they die....just sayin
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 4:05:24 AM EDT
[#10]
No thanks. I'd like them to use every possible procedure to save my life than to harvest my organs to make profit.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 4:06:57 AM EDT
[#11]
I can't donate so won't
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 4:10:06 AM EDT
[#12]
You know when you or a loved one is broke down on the side of the road and nobody stops to help. You curse at every car that drives by never once stopping to think about all the broke down people you passed before that day.

What if nobody donated blood?

ER Doc “I’m sorry sir/ma’am if we could have given your (insert loved one here) a pint or 2 of blood they would probably have survived, if only people cared enough!”
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 4:11:24 AM EDT
[#13]
You know, when you donate your body, they can do whatever they want with it.

Organ donation... maybe
Medical research... most likely

I don't want my body to be butchered like a pig
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 4:13:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
No thanks. I'd like them to use every possible procedure to save my life than to harvest my organs to make profit.
View Quote
There's something to that. My mom is an ER doc, and she flat out told me to not put donor on my license because not every doc is above board. She said your organs can always be donated after the fact by the family.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 4:15:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You know when you or a loved one is broke down on the side of the road and nobody stops to help. You curse at every car that drives by never once stopping to think about all the broke down people you passed before that day.

ER Doc “I’m sorry sir/ma’am if we could have given your (insert loved one here) a pint or 2 of blood they would probably have survived, if only people cared enough!”
View Quote
I think the concern is that in those examples, you're life isn't hanging in the balance if you decide to help.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 4:20:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Organ donation... maybe

View Quote
I can understand and I can concede to a bit of hypocrisy on my part here if not for medical cadavers how would doctors learn the skills they need to to treat patients.
I can’t honestly say I’d want to be used like that either all I’m asking for is a few parts not necessarily the whole.

I had the opportunity to meet most of the transplant surgeons in the doctors group that treated my wife and I’m convinced what they do when harvesting organs is done with the most reverence and respect.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 4:21:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

It baffles me
View Quote
I think it was in another thread here where some were bitching about the organ donor system; on the grounds that it’s a profit center for the medical industrial complex. Or some nonsense along those lines. I guess their gripe is that the donor (more accurately their family) receives no compensation.

I get abstaining for religious reasons. And, yeah, we all have free will. But, it seems like such a ridiculous and selfish way to exercise that last bit of free will. Even if you’re a complete shitbag, at least as an organ donor, you’ll be remembered as a hero to one or more families.

You have nothing to lose by being an organ donor. Maybe more would participate if there were a condition that you can’t recieve a donation if you’re not a donor.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 4:24:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Organ donation... maybe

View Quote
I’ll do it, on one condition...

That my hands are permanently wired into two middle fingers after my death
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 4:46:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

And of course none of the funds ever make it back to the donors family. Fuck 'em
View Quote
Do you trust the person/people that would be in a situation of making medical decisions for you if you were incompacitated to make the right decision when there’s financial gain?
(How much can I get for his liver?) LOL
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 4:55:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Donation is a personal choice and no one should be made to feel bad because they don't donate.  People who tell others how bad they because they don't donate are wrong, if my family needed a donation, I would be thankful if someone made the choice to donate, and on the other hand, I am not going to condemn them if they don't.  You are making a moral judgement over another by saying they are mean, or a dirtbag if they don't.

Don't judge my life based on your morals and I promise, I won't judge your life based on my morals.

That said, I can't donate, they won't take my organs due to circumstances that have happened in my life and it is not the bad choices I have made, but it is because of bad circumstances that have happened in my life, my lungs are no good because of exposure to various chemicals as well a a burned lung due to a scuba tank being filled with oil contaminated air.  Kidney's not strong, just bad genetics, Liver nope, again, due to infection that happened while in the service.

Just a host of bad circumstances that make me unable to donate anything.  I do support the organ donation choice for those who it feels right for and more power to them.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 4:55:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
I know a tissue harvester who verified this. Insurance pays $40k to 80k for a femoral artery for bypass 8 years ago. Family gets a computer generated certificate.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 4:58:42 AM EDT
[#22]
No thanks.

If I got to pick and choose who they would go to then maybe, but as it stands the risk of some degenerate or other undesirable individual/s being saved with them is too high. Pass.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 5:03:19 AM EDT
[#23]
I have worked in organ harvests many times.  The crews that I have worked with have always been very reverent and respectful of the patient.

I have worked on several kidney transplants.  The patients have been given a second shot at life and I am proud to have helped.

I have flown organs all over this country.

I can't speak to the financial aspects of the process, but like many things in healthcare, I bet it could stand some improvement.  And that is no reason not to donate.

I am signed up to be an organ donor.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 5:04:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

ER Doc "I'm sorry sir/ma'am if we could have given your (insert loved one here) a pint or 2 of blood they would probably have survived, if only people cared enough!"
View Quote
My life has no inherent value to the random passerby or other such individual, I expect nothing of them and they shouldn't expect anything of me. I'm not their problem and they aren't mine.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 5:04:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Seems stupid as hell...........,,
View Quote

There are a lot of things in this world that seem stupid as hell.  If that is your measuring stick you gonna have a very long list.  And until the world goes full communist so every act is for benefit of the state it ain’t gonna change. But when it does go full commie I guess you and your buddies will have plenty of fresh bodies to harvest, you know, those that didn’t agree with you.

As for me,  I can see myself lying on a gurney and the discussion going something like:  “well, we can save him but will we for sure get paid?  I can make $350,000 this afternoon putting his heart in Dick Cheney.  What you wanna do?”

When the surgeons and hospitals start donating their time and services to the cause give me a call.......
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 5:25:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
My opinion is that anyone that chooses not to be a donor should be ineligable for transplants.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 5:45:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Once I'm dead, core me like an apple and burn what's left.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 5:56:26 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

My opinion is that anyone that chooses not to be a donor should be ineligable for transplants.
View Quote
i am ok with this.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 6:02:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
that's reasonable.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 6:32:53 AM EDT
[#30]
I am listed as a doner but I suspect due to the same reason I can't give blood (Mad cow from 80's germany)  I suspect my organs are verboten.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 6:38:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
So, how do you monitor that?

Cause now I'm a donor, give me a kidney.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 7:21:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Put a two year delay before you become eligable.  Enjoy dialysis.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 7:33:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Body farm!

I wonder if they'll let me pick my scenario?
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 8:06:30 AM EDT
[#34]
They can have mine, if they can find anything usable.  I don't have any plans for them when I'm gone.

As far as letting the doctor's deciding whether to try to save me...I have a DNR that will provide some influence (let's not revisit that topic in this thread).
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 8:07:48 AM EDT
[#35]
My right arm is still attached because of an organ donor - I have a piece of cadaver bone that served as an anchor point for putting enough of the bigger pieces back together to make something approximating a normal elbow joint.

So yeah, I'm a fan of organ donation.  When I'm dead, I sure won't need them, but perhaps they can help you.  For the end user, profit doesn't enter into the equation.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 8:09:09 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
No thanks.

If I got to pick and choose who they would go to then maybe, but as it stands the risk of some degenerate or other undesirable individual/s being saved with them is too high. Pass.
View Quote
Basically this.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 8:18:51 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
Should all aspects of life be like that?
You must give before you can receive?
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 8:26:45 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Of course, Comrade
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 8:28:03 AM EDT
[#39]
I'm a donor. If my head's ripped off in a car accident go ahead and take what you want. Hopefully it can help someone.

But yeah either way the hospitals are the only ones making bank on my parts.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 8:30:43 AM EDT
[#40]
They can have whatever they want once I'm dead.  It's not like I'll know or care what they do with it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 8:46:01 AM EDT
[#41]
I think  a program that got an organ donor a free semester at a state university or a couple free semesters at a junior college would be a easy incentive to increase the participation.

Most people expect someone to get out of their car and help push theirs but most don't want to be the person to get out of their car and help push someone else's.

My friend couldn't afford their fathers funeral so they donated his body to science, in two weeks they got his ashes back and a full medical write up of what he died from and ailments he was suffering from - no cost to my friend. And the medical students will go on to help people like my friends father - through his body he still lives on down here.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 8:47:36 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not talking about all aspects of life.  But should be able to take from people if you refuse to give yourself?
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 8:51:46 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Good luck.  I plan on jumping off the tallest building in town when my health turns.  Bring a shop-vac
View Quote
My dark brain laughed really hard at this. Too hard actually.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 8:53:05 AM EDT
[#44]
I'm an organ donor, but that's kind of like the guy with a rusty 1989 Plymouth Acclaim that looks like the Hulk kicked it down the stairs, running on 3 bald tires and a donut spare "donating" his car to charity.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 9:09:07 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I'm an organ donor, but that's kind of like the guy with a rusty 1989 Plymouth Acclaim that looks like the Hulk kicked it down the stairs, running on 3 bald tires and a donut spare "donating" his car to charity.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 9:10:38 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 9:11:19 AM EDT
[#47]
Seems to me I read some articles where the doctors were very eager to take a "brain dead" patients organs instead of focusing on saving them. The patients eventually fully recovered.

http://www.truthaboutorgandonation.com/Survivors.html

Can't vouch for these stories, but if I was "brain dead" and the vultures in white coats were hovering over me I would hope my family would keep this in mind.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 9:12:06 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
My right arm is still attached because of an organ donor - I have a piece of cadaver bone that served as an anchor point for putting enough of the bigger pieces back together to make something approximating a normal elbow joint.

https://farm7.staticflickr.com/6032/6237469843_488391d090_z.jpg

So yeah, I'm a fan of organ donation.  When I'm dead, I sure won't need them, but perhaps they can help you.  For the end user, profit doesn't enter into the equation.
View Quote
Damn, that looks like an xray of a can of screws I have in the garage.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 9:12:35 AM EDT
[#49]
If you are honest to goodness brain dead then hoping for an improvment is just wasting money.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 9:13:40 AM EDT
[#50]
I’m donating my body to nature. I shall feed hungry wolves, coyotes & creepy crawlers.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top