Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 12/15/2018 3:04:52 PM EDT
In before in before poll.

Exact situation doesn't matter. You shot/stabbed/other someone trying to attack/rob you/someone else.

He is 100% out of the fight, the area is clear, no other attackers (or if there are they dead), no worries of further attack, but he is not dead yet.

You have an IFAK, and no one else is injured. Let's say it'd be your $40 chest seals, $40 of hemostatic gauze, $10 NPA and $35 TQ - you shot this guy real good, because of course GD are all masters - but he's not yet dead.

LEO/EMS is en route, but you don't know if he'll survive until then or not. 50/50 crapshoot.

Do you expend your IFAK on a felon that just attacked you or someone else, or do you wait and see what happens?
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 3:06:35 PM EDT
[#1]
If he isn't in cuffs he's still a threat and I'm not going to fuck around restraining him before I render aid.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 3:09:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Well,  it doesn't have to be put on that tight.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 3:12:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I’d have no inclination to assist.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 3:12:47 PM EDT
[#4]
No. I'm too busy stripping and making sure my gun is fully disassembled before LEO arrives and shoots me too.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 3:13:58 PM EDT
[#5]
The emergency medical treatment of someone who just committed a violent act on me or mine is none of my concern.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 3:14:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Not a chance.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 3:14:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Chest compressions.  Lots and lots of chest compressions.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 3:14:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Toss it to him. You provide him with first aid. That might help get down from murder to man slaughter (if it is not a 100% clean case)
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 3:16:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Exact situation doesn't matter. You shot/stabbed/other someone trying to attack/rob you/someone else.

He is 100% out of the fight, the area is clear, no other attackers (or if there are they dead), no worries of further attack, but he is not dead yet.

You have an IFAK, and no one else is injured. Let's say it'd be your $40 chest seals, $40 of hemostatic gauze, $10 NPA and $35 TQ - you shot this guy real good, because of course GD are all masters - but he's not yet dead.

LEO/EMS is en route, but you don't know if he'll survive until then or not. 50/50 crapshoot.

Do you expend your IFAK on a felon that just attacked you or someone else, or do you wait and see what happens?
View Quote
Nope. Liability.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 3:16:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Your IFAK is for you, when you need it. Aid bags are for others. If one is not available, you can use belts as TQ's, and plastic wrappings with tape as chest seals. Don't use your IFAK for others unless it is genuinely your only option to save a life.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 3:18:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The emergency medical treatment of someone who just committed a violent act on me or mine is none of my concern.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 3:20:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Yes
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 3:21:48 PM EDT
[#13]
The best self defense stories have only one side.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 3:22:06 PM EDT
[#14]
No. You attack me and/or mine, you get what you asked for... Laws of Nature.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 3:24:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Nope. My response to an attack will in all likelihood make such attempted aid completely useless.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 3:26:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Scene safety.

It would have to be an extraordinary circumstance.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 3:27:52 PM EDT
[#17]
If I had reason to believe that he was no longer capable of being a threat and that there were no other threats present, I would.  It would go a long way towards my defense should that become a concern.

However, the criteria for me to determine that no other threat from him of anyone else would be extremely difficult to meet.

ETA:

No I wouldn't.

I keep my EMT bag in my truck outside. I'm not leaving my family unattended to get it.  I am not touching a person that just attacked and who is leaking fluids without my BSI. I'm not getting Herpebolaids from some thug.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 3:27:59 PM EDT
[#18]
If he wanted an IFAK, he should have brought his own.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 3:28:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Absolutely I would. It might be the piece of evidence that keeps my ass out of jail.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 3:28:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Open myself up to even more civil litigation?
Fuck no.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 3:29:09 PM EDT
[#21]
It is in my nature to render such aid.
I was strongly advised at both Gunsite and Frontsight to do no such thing.
I guess, if it ever happens, I will follow that advice, and not render such aid.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 3:29:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Since I have no idea what IFAK is I would say the odds are plenty damn slim for me.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 3:30:36 PM EDT
[#23]
I would only provide aid if I had someone to cover me. On my own, no way. 911 dispatcher will send help.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 3:30:37 PM EDT
[#24]
What's an "IFAK"???  Why would a normal person have some/it/one???
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 3:32:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
Individual first aid kit.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 3:33:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
Individual First Aid Kit

The real question is why a normal person WOULDN'T have one.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 3:33:38 PM EDT
[#27]
I would use  my IFAK and hit him with it until he stops moving it saves lives
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 3:34:58 PM EDT
[#28]
If he/she is 100% out of the fight, he/she is dead.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 3:35:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Without hesitation.  Yes.

Don't need any reason other than he is a human being.

If you save him after what he did to you - imagine the example you would set to him and to others.  It could turn him around.  But would do it even it I didn't think it would.

I absolutely believe in the right to defend myself.

I also believe in mercy for the helpless.

YMMV
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 3:35:19 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm not a medical professional.  It's up to him/her to stay woke.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 3:36:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

I just let EMT/Fire handle the rescue work. I don't want to disturb the crime scene.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 3:37:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Nope.

Link Posted: 12/15/2018 3:37:25 PM EDT
[#33]
I do not have the IFAK at this time.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 3:37:58 PM EDT
[#34]
It's a situation most have never been in. I don't know what I'd do.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 3:39:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
you shot this guy real good, because of course GD are all masters - but he's not yet dead.
View Quote

I'll let the dispatcher know I'm holding the subject at gunpoint until the police arrive.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 3:41:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Emt’s arw bound to render aid when needed... so it’s a gray area. I agree with the above of following the first step on every test we ever took:

BSI and is the scene safe? No bsi, no confirmed scene safety, no aid rendered.

That and I’d prefer to just beat the fuck out of a guy, steal his shit so he knows what it feels like, and go back home. I might be trained for all kinds of stuff, but I’m no saint.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 3:42:20 PM EDT
[#37]
I do not carry an IFAK, nor do I carry PPE for all the blood borne pathogens they may have
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 3:42:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

If you save him after what he did to you - imagine the example you would set to him and to others.  It could turn him around.  But would do it even it I didn't think it would.

YMMV
View Quote
Hope your family remembers you kindly when the “dead” guy stabs you.

If he isn’t in cuffs I’m not touching him.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 3:45:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Do you want Hep c because that’s how you get Hep c
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 3:45:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Sounds like how you get a yuuuuge civil suit

Now you “owe” the scumbag, or his disgusting family, money because you shot him, plus more because you medical aid wasn’t somehow good enough.

Or knowing my luck he has just enough strength to swing a blade into my side, or he spits his aids infested blood into my face to spite me

Nope nope nope.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 3:46:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Cops, who have been called out to a home invasion / shooting / whatever, arrive on scene with one person bent over and fucking with a bloody body. Sounds like a high potential for a misunderstanding of the situation and getting yourself ventilated.

I do not plan to be fucking with a bloody body when the cops arrive.

Mr. Shithead can just wait for the professionals to show up.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 3:47:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I was strongly advised at both Gunsite and Frontsight to do no such thing.
View Quote
What did they say? (Aside from don't do it.)
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 3:48:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
If he wanted an IFAK, he should have brought his own.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 3:48:36 PM EDT
[#44]
With all this cuff talk, how many here keep some type of cuff (tuff ties for example) on their body when carrying or in their ifak?
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 3:49:29 PM EDT
[#45]
And get sued by him for improper first aid?  Pass.  No duty, no care.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 3:50:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Open myself up to even more civil litigation?
Fuck no.
View Quote
Exactly.  You’d have to be a complete moron to do it - you risk disease, etc.

And besides, do you really want to be on or nearly on top of the wounded person when the police show up guns drawn???
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 3:50:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
YMMV
View Quote
How would you face the victims of his next armed robbery?

I wouldn't touch him. Who knows what weird blood-borne diseases he has?
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 3:50:49 PM EDT
[#48]
I'm not a "trained medical professional".

"I'm sorry I didn't render first aid counselor, I was afraid I would do further damage to the piece of shit criminal."
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 3:51:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Sounds like how you get a yuuuuge civil suit

Now you “owe” the scumbag, or his disgusting family, money because you shot him, plus more because you medical aid wasn’t somehow good enough.

Or knowing my luck he has just enough strength to swing a blade into my side, or he spits his aids infested blood into my face to spite me

Nope nope nope.
View Quote
Actually no.

Even in an attack situation, Good Samaritan Laws are in effect.

If you are operating within your scope of practice (the level to which you are trained) and you are not being compensated financially for rendering the aid (not on duty as a job for medical care at that moment,) you are protected from liability.

In most states, GSLs are pretty iron-clad.  No where in any GSL that I've ever read has an exclusion for it the first responder was the victim of the person being treated.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 3:52:09 PM EDT
[#50]
No. You don't actually know that the situation is safe, for one. If you want a realistic and valuable answer, you can't artificially create "well, it's a scenario where the riskiest aspect isn't there."
Furthermore, who knows how he'll react when you approach even if he doesn't have any friends hanging around. I don't know what kind of diseases he's carrying (people who commit crimes are also people who engage in other risky behavior), and handling potentially infected people, even with gloves on, is outside my lane.

IFAKs/aid bags are for myself and for people I know.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top