Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/12/2020 7:22:22 AM EDT
Car in question is this;
https://www.caldwell-toyota.com/used/Subaru/2016-Subaru-Forester-conway-ar-19fa7a0b0a0e0ae75e00143f3114ac1c.htm

Kind of looking for a decent all wheel drive CUV that I can pay cash for and not have any problems out of, and maybe get rid of my clapped out 94 Dakota.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 7:32:44 AM EDT
[#1]
I had one.  CVT transmission is weak.  It came with  390 Amp battery that lasted 2.5 years in Michigan.

I bought a 2019 RAV4 and never looked back.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 9:45:52 AM EDT
[#2]
I would buy it op.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 11:33:07 AM EDT
[#3]
In your area, not saying better but 86k miles on a 3.5 year car...hopefully highway.

one owner, 20k less miles, same $
https://fayar.craigslist.org/ctd/d/bentonville-2016-subaru-forester-25i/7065180666.html

32k for $18K
https://littlerock.craigslist.org/cto/d/north-little-rock-2016-subaru-forester/7064131009.html

Might try car guru and others too...good luck!
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 1:17:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Car in question is this;
https://www.caldwell-toyota.com/used/Subaru/2016-Subaru-Forester-conway-ar-19fa7a0b0a0e0ae75e00143f3114ac1c.htm

Kind of looking for a decent all wheel drive CUV that I can pay cash for and not have any problems out of, and maybe get rid of my clapped out 94 Dakota.
View Quote
A good friend had one, and the A/C and CVT both died literally right at either 86 or 89K miles, I forget which.

That said, each one may be different.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 1:35:25 PM EDT
[#5]
CVT's in that generation of Forester have a 100K warranty on them because of issues they discovered early on IIRC.  I know our 2014 has something along those lines.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 2:25:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I had a 2017 forester. Wasn’t a bad car but very bland. Factory battery is pretty crappy.

Only problem I ever had was power steering not working below -40 degrees.

Not sure I’d want one with a ton of miles on it though since it is a Subaru.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 2:28:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Our 16 outback has 56k on it, and just replaced the shit factory battery.

Other than that it’s been solid.

That’s a hefty amount of miles.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 11:48:35 AM EDT
[#8]
I guess I better pass on that Forester.
Same place has this Venza that is also interesting, but it doesn't have AWD. https://www.caldwell-toyota.com/used/Toyota/2013-Toyota-Venza-conway-ar-fbb6fcf30a0d0c1414486c933dfc2852.htm
Are Toyota v6's usually decent in the FWD cars?
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 10:59:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would buy it op.
View Quote
Yep, bland car as said but recurring maintenance is easy, cheap (never done plugs on a boxer, however), they are great in bad weather, and do just about everything passably.

That mileage in 3.5 years sounds OK. If anything I’d rather have a young high mileage car than an old one. Usually indicates a lot of highway miles. We put 78k on one in two years. Did brakes and rotors in that time, and replaced the rubber piece on the clutch pedal.

On our second which has the CVT. It is OK and the 100k warranty is reassuring.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 4:35:18 AM EDT
[#10]
i am a big older subaru fan. my 99 outback was solid even with 297k on the clock.  when i was looking for a replacement i was looking at 2011 to 13 outbacks.  like the body style. what i did not like was the CVT.  i have read a CVT replacement form Subaru is $8k and no one else rebuilds them or sells them other than Subaru.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 8:44:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Was it a taxi cab? Uber ? It better have strong maintenance records
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 10:27:18 PM EDT
[#12]
CVT and Flat 4 shenanigans so thats a no for me, but subaru makes a good car, would not mind one if it dropped into my lap.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 10:31:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Unless it has a turbo and a manual trans, it’s not a real XT.

(Owned an 04 and 05 XT)
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 11:23:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Why do you want the turbo? The CVT is designed to eke as much gas mileage out of the car as possible, and has a bit of a "torque nanny" in the initial moments after you stomp the accelerator hard. . Thus, it seems sort of like you are mixing your goals, unless you just want a slightly faster forester. ETA: Our family car is a 2.5 outback. With the family in the car, it probably has a 0-60 time of 10 seconds .
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 11:37:24 PM EDT
[#15]
I would stay far away.  Those turbo engines up until '16 had major problems.  Spend some time looking on craigslist over the course of six months or a year and watch how many come through with major problems or not running.  The fan boys on the forums don't want to accept reality, but they are a complete and utter lemon of an engine.

The earlier ones had problems with the pre cats killing the turbos or the egt sensors for the precats breaking off and killing the turbos.  There are very fine oil filters for the turbo that clog and kill the turbos that's why so many have new turbos and when they put new turbos in there is bearing material throughout the system and the car is junk.  There is also an oil filter for the variable valve timing system that can plug and cause cam failure.  It's kind of rare, but the plastic cam gears can explode causing bent valves or worse.  But my absolute favorite is that they never got the tune perfect and it caused issues with exhaust valves becoming burnt or piston ring lands cracking.  If they'd made the pistons stronger this never would've happened, but people say the shit tune from subaru is to blame.  There was more believe it or not but I forgot since its been years.  All of what I said can be verified.   A few detonation events and your piston ring lands can crack the pistons are very weak.  Also the manual trans cars had issues with the throwout bearing eating the front input bearing on the transmission there are kits to counter the problem.  The dual mass flywheels also caused problems.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 11:37:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Also another huge issue is people putting aftermarket intakes on them and if driven around for an extended period of time without an aftermarket tune it will literally cause your engine to run lean and greatly reduce the life of the engine by causing major damage.  People love to slap parts on them without getting a tune.  Meanwhile my friends growing up would slap turbos on hondas with other supporting mods and at times even run them without tunes.

I absolutely loved the subarus but i'd never buy one again.  I had a LGT with 130k that had burnt exhaust valves and the turbo had so much play it was a miracle it didn't self destruct, but chances are you wont listen.  The engines can be built correctly and tuned to make insane power and run well, but i'll never own another subaru in my life.  The best handling car I ever drove was my brothers '03 wrx with the factory bbs rims it was a blast to drive, but i'm done.  I tried to get some local machine shop to rebuild the heads for me, but he laughed at me when I said there are machine shops out there that offer complete services on subaru heads including reshimming the cams.  He said he'd need a whole assortment of cam buckets with different thicknesses, but he was too fucking stupid to realize that you can take a measurement with the existing buckets and buy the correct sizes.  After that I ended up not rebuilding the motor and I sold it for parts.

**Edited to add**
I thought the '16 had the 2.5 turbo engine.

https://glensfalls.craigslist.org/cto/d/glenmont-subaru-legacy-gt/7063307502.html   Perfect example, first ad I clicked on.  ONLY 60K ON A REPLACEMENT MOTOR.  Car has 125k.

https://albany.craigslist.org/cto/d/athens-2007-subaru-legacy-gt/7066679413.html  second click TURBO REPLACEMENT  What's the odds?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top