Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2021 12:40:36 PM EDT
Thinking about buying a DIY/weld-it-yourself bumper for one of my vehicles. Would you take on a project like that for your first one?

Its a Coastal Offroad bumper kit.

I would be looking to use a MIG welder with gas for the project.

From their site:

As for welding, with everything designed using CAD software and then CNC laser-cut to size, the pieces fit together perfectly and this makes for a very simple assembly process. All kits come with detailed instructions with plenty of clearly labelled diagrams that are made using cutting-edge CAD software.

•DIY Weld-together kit – This bumper arrives as precision CNC-laser cut pieces that you then weld together (detailed assembly instructions included)
• Heavy duty 3/16? plate steel construction for maximum offroad strength and durability
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 12:57:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 1:04:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Buy scrap steel plate, angles, and tubing in different thicknesses for practice.

View Quote

Absolutely this. That's how I learned, with some pointers from my nuke-certified welder neighbor.

Again, do a lot of practice first, and be prepared to buy a lot of gear to hold things where you want them.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 1:15:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Lots of practice first.  But before that, look up weldingtipsandtricks on youtube, and watch all of his MIG videos.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 1:18:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Sure why not. Just  might need more finish work ( grinding etc)
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 1:25:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm going to do their rock slider kit.

https://www.coastaloffroad.com/product-page/65-weld-on-rock-slider-kit/?v=7516fd43adaa

Coastal Offroad KICKOUT ROCK SLIDER WELD-TOGETHER KIT
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 5:58:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Practice on some scrap. You absolutely need to understand how to weld. You need to see how the welder heats the metal. I'd been stick welding for over 20 years, but I bought my first MIG last year. I grabbed a bunch of scrap and started welding it all together, did that for about 20 minutes. It welded perfect right off the bat, so then I welded structural stuff.

One thing that's more concerning than wether you "know how" to "weld", is that in my experience most new "weldors" think it's all about running a bead. Fact is it's 90% prep, fitting and layout. You don't get something jigged up just right and the holes won't line up and it won't fit your truck. That's the type of precision that comes from years of experience. Some people never do get it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 6:23:22 AM EDT
[#7]
When it comes to 3/16" material you'd better have a good machine because that's asking a lot from an entry level low duty cycle 120V hobby machine.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 7:23:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Find a local community college with a welding class.
Learn to weld, and take your project into class.
I've done several large projects that way, and they have tools that we would never be able to afford or justify.
Plus, they encourage you to bring projects in.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 9:57:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
When it comes to 3/16" material you'd better have a good machine because that's asking a lot from an entry level low duty cycle 120V hobby machine.
View Quote

Most of the ones I'm looking at that are 120V are 1/4" max thickness mild steel. I have 230V wired in my garage so I've also been looking at the combo machines that can utilize both 120/230 for greater capabilities down the road.

I haven't purchased a welder yet, if you have any suggestions.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 10:39:06 AM EDT
[#10]
I mean...I did.  Bought a 66 C-10 and learned to weld doing all the rust repairs on it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 5:37:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Get scrap and practice first. FYI, there are 3 common wire feed welding processes, MIG, MAG (metal inert gas and metal active gas) and flux core. It is redundant to say you are MIG or MAG welding with gas.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 5:38:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Sure why not. Just  might need more finish work ( grinding etc)
View Quote

That, and the welds might fail.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 8:57:43 PM EDT
[#13]
One bit of advise.  When you start welding, jump around from side to side, to the middle, etc.  Don’t start on one side and work your way across, it can warp badly.  Tack it all together while it’s mounted and after you have proper alignment then start welding it up solid.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 2:22:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Place your tacks with forethought.   Make them easy to grind out if needed, and in sports that allow them to act like a flexure for getting everything all square.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 7:22:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Buy scrap steel plate, angles, and tubing in different thicknesses for practice.

View Quote

This, I also recommend bed frames for practice as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top