Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/16/2018 9:39:18 PM EDT
So looks like my current employer would pay for like 95+% of the cost of this but I'm still wondering about the level of personal time it would suck up.
https://catalog.dsu.edu/preview_program.php?catoid=28&poid=2055&returnto=1351
https://dsu.edu/graduate-students/dsccs
I know I'd learn a lot but it almost seem as if you could learn more with self-study, especially in cybersecurity.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 9:43:04 PM EDT
[#1]
95+%. Heck yes I would.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 9:45:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I don’t see getting a pay raise equivalent to the amount of misery that would entail.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 9:47:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I would.  But FT work and FT student is hard.  Real hard.  Do you have a family?
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 9:47:36 PM EDT
[#4]
YES.
it's a degree you can use
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 9:49:06 PM EDT
[#5]
... that VERY MUCH depends how old you are when making that decision
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 9:49:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd hold out for tuition reimbursement for a masters in pottery and ceramics
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 9:51:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So looks like my current employer would pay for like 95+% of the cost of this but I'm still wondering about the level of personal time it would suck up.
I know I'd learn a lot but it almost seem as if you could learn more with self-study, especially in cybersecurity.
View Quote
phd is basically self-study. its not worth it imo but i dont know what part of the industry youre in.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 9:52:16 PM EDT
[#8]
not worth time investment if you dont get eqiv raise
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 9:52:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
What is your end goal?  CISO is something obtainable with a masters or even less.

Personally I don’t have any degree and it hasn’t stopped me in IT / Security.  I might get my bachelors eventually but only to break into the next tier.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 9:53:02 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm a SW engineer and most people tell me I got skillz.

But when I have to work with the crypto-security team, I'm pretty much a neanderthal. Those guys are wicked smart and keep all our shit locked down.

Go for it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 9:54:11 PM EDT
[#11]
No. After my last doctorate I decided no more school.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 9:55:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What is your end goal?  CISO is something obtainable with a masters or even less.

Personally I don’t have any degree and it hasn’t stopped me in IT / Security.  I might get my bachelors eventually but only to break into the next tier.
View Quote
CISO or Chief Security Officer role, but I already have a MS in Cybersecurity...so not sure that this will provide much dividends career wise. Only plus I could see is potentially giving more credence to a startup if I go that route.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 10:00:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
CISO or Chief Security Officer role, but I already have a MS in Cybersecurity...so not sure that this will provide much dividends career wise. Only plus I could see is potentially giving more credence to a startup if I go that route.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not worth it at all then. I am a researcher and I know like 2 guys with a doctorate and they slow rolled it while working just to do it. I don't know anyone in management with one, especially in the field. Its basically just a joke to them with the occassional "hey, thats doctor x to you". I've been involved in security startups and know many people who have as well and a doctorate literally never comes up. That degree is for someone who wants to spend longer at school and then go into working at one of the labs. I'd look into the profs and search linkedin for a grad from that program too as I've never heard of it.

ETA: Honestly you'd be way better off spending the time prepping a talk or two and submitting to some conferences, 'cred' is worth a lot more than paper in this field.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 10:01:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
I work at a very large company and none of the future CISO candidates have a PHD.  They are all just very very competent leaders.

As you know there are different levels of CISOs.  Best thing IMO would be leadership in IAM, IR or Vuln mgmt.  if you have those areas covered your next move is clear.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 10:05:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Absolutely.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 10:05:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 10:06:55 PM EDT
[#17]
If I got time to study on the company dime I would. I have a couple of friends who have completed or nearly completed doctorates. It is a huge time suck and massive PITA. Both are .gov employees, so it is key to them getting promoted. Unless your're doing research, I'm not sure the private sector cares that much about it.

I do want to get my master's so that I can teach part time.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 10:21:05 PM EDT
[#18]
It would be a nice title to have, but I wouldn’t pursue it.

I’ve been in CyberSecurity/InfoSec since 2000. I’m mid-40s, married with a 3 year old son.

If I was mid to late 20s and single with no kids, I’d pursue it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 10:21:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
95+%. Heck yes I would.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 10:23:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Yes.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 10:25:23 PM EDT
[#21]
I have my MS in Info Assurance and a Doctorate would not be worth it. Instead I’m submitting papers for conferences and working on advancing the state of ICS security education in my critical infrastructure niche. Not worth it. If you want details, lemme know.

Got your CISSP yet?
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 10:25:48 PM EDT
[#22]
How much of what you learn will change completely by the time you finish your degree?

Some of the shit these cyber crooks pull and come up with is amazing in it's ingenuity. If they used their powers for good then we'd have flying cars, Martian colonies and cold fusion by now.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 10:25:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Cyber security is one of the most stressful and boring parts of IT

With PCI/Hippo/FIPS140-2 etc you spend all your time thinking about audits. Then if your company falls victim to a real world attack due to your vendors fault, you get blamed for it
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 10:27:27 PM EDT
[#24]
I sure would.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 10:29:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Do it. My employer paid for me to upgrade from a BS to an MA and my total out of pocket was about $100. It's stupid not to take advantage of this kinda thing when the opportunity presents itself like it is right now. Doooooo ittttt.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 10:29:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I have my MS in Info Assurance and a Doctorate would not be worth it. Instead I’m submitting papers for conferences and working on advancing the state of ICS security education in my critical infrastructure niche. Not worth it. If you want details, lemme know.

Got your CISSP yet?
View Quote
ICS security you say?  You ever been to ICSJWG?
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 10:30:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
Curriculum looks respectable at first glance but I don't know the institutional reputation.

Probably overkill unless you are the type that wants to go on the lecture circuit or do heavy research. A masters from a respected Technical school (NJIT has an amazing program) and start working towards your CISSP is probably the more practical route if you actually want to work in the industry.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 10:30:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Yes...Cybersecurity is one of the last job security specialties left in IT. Note, in order to turn that degrees into tangible money you’re going to need to get InfoSec carts and “gets your hands dirty.” Target should be CISO and then CTO/CIO so yeah, it would be worth it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 10:36:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Not worth it at all then. I am a researcher and I know like 2 guys with a doctorate and they slow rolled it while working just to do it. I don't know anyone in management with one, especially in the field. Its basically just a joke to them with the occassional "hey, thats doctor x to you". I've been involved in security startups and know many people who have as well and a doctorate literally never comes up. That degree is for someone who wants to spend longer at school and then go into working at one of the labs. I'd look into the profs and search linkedin for a grad from that program too as I've never heard of it.

ETA: Honestly you'd be way better off spending the time prepping a talk or two and submitting to some conferences, 'cred' is worth a lot more than paper in this field.
View Quote
This man knows what he’s saying. That said, depends on what the OP’s focus is. Decision-maker, I.e. upper mgt/exec or a tech/policy wonk. Both do well but not everyone is cut out for either role. Security guys are a different lot that requires commitment that most aren’t up for.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 10:37:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Got your CISSP yet?
View Quote
Yep got my cissp recently
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 10:42:31 PM EDT
[#31]
You'd be a fool not to take them up on that offer.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 10:46:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

ICS security you say?  You ever been to ICSJWG?
View Quote
Nope, but I’m giving a talk at the EnergySec Security and Compliance Summit in Anaheim in 10 days. And will be on the drone panel
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 10:49:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Cyber security is one of the most stressful and boring parts of IT

With PCI/Hippo/FIPS140-2 etc you spend all your time thinking about audits. Then if your company falls victim to a real world attack due to your vendors fault, you get blamed for it
View Quote
May get successfully attacked, but hey at least that auditor didn't crawl too far up my ass!
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 10:51:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Yes
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 11:01:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
No. After my last doctorate I decided no more school.
View Quote
The ol humble brag. Kudos
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 11:05:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Look at where you wanna get to. Look at resumes or bios of folks at that level. Work backwards. A PhD or SciD won’t be the item holding you back more than likely.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 11:09:05 PM EDT
[#37]
I wouldn't turn down a paid for PhD.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 3:56:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
It could be handy if the guy wants to teach some day. Not saying he does, but in my field (true neanderthals, physical security) the only real point in having a doc is to teach. Even the people running DHS don't have a real doc (sorry JD holders), so it's definitely not needed in the field.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 3:57:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Hell yes I would. Free education? Why wouldn't you?
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 3:58:40 PM EDT
[#40]
After you get it, insist that everyone address you as "doctor".
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 3:59:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Georgia tech is launching an online ms in cyber security. $10k for the whole program. Same rigor, courses, and diploma as the on campus program.

Oms computer science and analytics look good. This one likely will be too.

https://www.news.gatech.edu/2018/08/09/georgia-tech-creates-cybersecurity-masters-degree-online-less-10000
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 4:00:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Hell yes!!!
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 4:11:00 PM EDT
[#43]
The money is probably good but I'd say no.
I worked in IA for my last 15 years or so. I didnt do IA but i was in the department. Everyday I attended meetings and listened to these guys. I had been in it before so I knew what they saying. You couldn't pay me enough to do that. Stress, BS from the managers, oh so many assholes from other departments.
No, just no.

For the record I was the Facility Manager.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 4:29:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Ph.D in computer science.
Would do it all over again for the money I make now.

Nice when the president of the company has your back and when people fight to hire you.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 4:31:02 PM EDT
[#45]
I don't know your field.

But I know a little about schooling. Some doctorates can be very, very hard. Will this require dissertation defense? What kind of 'thing' will you have to author and execute as your... the words escape me, but the research project you might have to do?

At the easy end of the spectrum, I guarded a university that awarded Ed.D's. Privately they said the Ed.D was the GED of the Ph.D world.

If it is 'easy' for you, and you don't have to do a lot of cohort style work and you really don't have much in the way of family life, that's a pretty impressive credential. But if you have an outside life, you, like previously mentioned, have to really start weighing time and PITA investment vs how much additional earning power you'll have left with the working time you'll have left.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 4:33:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Yes. No doubt.

That's a good $150,000 job (starting).
View Quote
This. Extremely valuable and getting moreso.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 4:42:44 PM EDT
[#47]
I'm in OT Cybersecurity and I'd do it if it were company paid
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 4:42:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
95+%. Heck yes I would.
View Quote
It wil be a demand on your time but worth it financially.

Halliburton paid for about 95% of my Master of Science. I did at night it while working full-time and tutoring chemistry and statistics on the side. Then, about four weeks before I graduated, they eliminated the subsidiary I worked for, which released me from the two years of indentured servitude I signed up for as a condition of the tuition reimbursement program.Twas sweet because three months later I was hired by a national laboratory.

I had no social life to speak of for five years, but that piece of paper helped me make an extra $125,000 in salary plus about $120,000 in my 401(k)since I got it in 1995.

In Cybersecurity? I'd be on that offer like Rosie O'Donnel on a quart of Haggen-Daz.

ETA: A degree like that and a clear background would be a way into the Intel world. Then you could make sure they aren't spying on us here ARFCOMmers or you could warn us to put body armor on the Pekinese, Breed of a Death.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 6:47:19 PM EDT
[#49]
I have a Master of Science in Electrical Engineering with a concentration in Micro-electronics. I did the thesis option and had a research assistant position while working 32 hours as an engineer.

I watched one of my research team members not get his PhD because one guy on his committee refused to sign off on his dissertation, he was absolutely convinced the work had been done before. Great engineer too, cost him a chunk of change and almost lost his design position at Texas Instruments over it. PhD is always a gamble.

I'd rather jerk off with a fist full of broken glass than get a PhD in anything.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 6:57:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
If it includes a raise, yes.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top