Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/29/2021 2:32:35 PM EDT
I would like to get back into analog music again.

The wife is on board, but large "single guy" speakers won't fly as we don't have room.

I'd need a turntable, cartridge, receiver, and speakers.
I'm hoping for really clear sound, but I don't need enough power to make my ears bleed.

Can I get some decent sound under $1000 or should I go be poor somewhere else with my CDs?
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 5:45:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Disclaimer: I'm not a vinyl guy.

If space is an issue, I'd skip the receiver (unless you have to have multiple inputs), get a small phono preamp/DI box, and run some powered studio monitors.

You could plug your turntable into this:
Attachment Attached File

And run right out of it into a pair of Yamaha HS8s:
Attachment Attached File

That's about a grand right there, which doesn't leave money for the turntable, but if you like the idea, you could go for cheaper components.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 6:20:39 PM EDT
[#2]
As far as turntables, Pro-Ject, Rega, Music Hall;

Examples: https://www.musicdirect.com/equipment/turntables/

Receivers; Onkyo, Denon, Yamaha, buy one that gets good reviews with a phono preamp built in.

Speakers: Maybe NHT, B&W, Elac, not up on what is the go to for small speakers these days.

You should be able to put together something for <$1,000 that will have very good sound.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 12:30:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As far as turntables, Pro-Ject, Rega, Music Hall;

Examples: https://www.musicdirect.com/equipment/turntables/

Receivers; Onkyo, Denon, Yamaha, buy one that gets good reviews with a phono preamp built in.

Speakers: Maybe NHT, B&W, Elac, not up on what is the go to for small speakers these days.

You should be able to put together something for <$1,000 that will have very good sound.
View Quote
Wow. Some of those turntables are 15 times the OP's entire budget
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 6:34:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Fluance RT85 turntable.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 1:23:01 PM EDT
[#5]
You can almost get what you want under $1000 with a Rega Planar 1 turntable, Monoprice Pure Tube Stereo Amplifier, and a pair of ELAC Debut 2.0 B6.2 speakers. That setup would be about $1200.

It would sound a lot better with a pair of Wharfedale Linton Heritage speakers, but that would put you over $2000.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top