Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/27/2022 9:34:07 PM EDT
I'm not affiliated with DS, or SW in particular. I was trained on it in college in 2005 and have been a loyal user of it when needing CAD since then, since I guess my brain was wired to think like SW. So that's my disclaimer.

Do you think it would be helpful (and that there would be enough demand) to do a SolidWorks 101 session for folks? Are there enough users that would be willing to learn (and willing to pay $99/yr for the software) to take their CAD/3D printing to the next level?

I'd be happy to teach a few classes via some kind of free screen sharing app or something (I'd have to figure out specifics at a later date) but thought I'd gauge interest.  I'm not really well versed enough to consider myself able to teach a class on F360, as it frustrates me to no end.  But SW on the other hand, I use enough (while I'm NOT a professional) I think I could get people up to the level where they are making useful designs, etc. This would NOT be geared toward people that are comfortable in SW, or professionals that want to show up and make me look like an idiot. I'm not really interested in those folks.

So, what do you guys think? Is this something that would be appreciated? I'd be offering the training(s) free of charge, of course.

RP, if this isn't allowed...feel free to put me in time out.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 11:05:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I love Solidworks and find it so much easier to use than F360.

But simply the difficulty of getting Solidworks, and the cost to use it professionally makes F360 the better choice for the hobbyist who might transition to making a profit.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 12:07:00 AM EDT
[#2]
If teaching is a hobby or something you want to put on your resume go for it. But if someone wants to learn the software there's already hundreds of youtube videos and Google searches to learn from. Odds are you're wasting time.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 12:10:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Why not a freeware CAD program like FreeCAD.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 12:16:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Because FreeCAD is worth what you pay for it.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 12:17:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If teaching is a hobby or something you want to put on your resume go for it. But if someone wants to learn the software there's already hundreds of youtube videos and Google searches to learn from. Odds are you're wasting time.
View Quote

Fair...and I agree with you. But I see a few people EVERY DAY on Arfcom that say "I wish I knew CAD" and yet nobody seems to do anything about it.

So gauging interest, however, you're probably right. Probably a waste of time.

I'm a CFO in real life; I couldn't give a shit less about my resume. I'm already where I want to be.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 1:05:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Join the EAA for $40.00 and get SW student for free.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 1:22:51 AM EDT
[#7]
I would be interested.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 1:24:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Join the EAA for $40.00 and get SW student for free.
View Quote

They stopped that benefit. I used to do that but too many people were only signing up for that.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 10:35:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Might be worth considering recording them as well, and uploading to youtube. Then people could reference them later.

I'm a self taught Freecad user, but I might check out Solidworks eventually.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 10:54:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
https://www.onshape.com/en/products/free

Try this.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 12:02:37 PM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

Every thing made in free OnShape is public domain and is literally saved in the cloud in which ALL OnShape users have access to.

No thanks.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 7:37:25 PM EDT
[#12]
People may not know about this but veterans can get a student version of Solidworks for $20 a year and students can get the same thing for I think $30 a year. Both have CAM, FEA, weldments, and sheet metal.

Not sure if just a .edu email is needed or not? Find a local community College, enroll in one class then drop out. Just like that you have cheap Solidworks. Maybe could even sign your kid up for a student account to "borrow". Both options seem like a bunch of hoops to jump threw when other easier programs to get are available though.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 7:55:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Freecad sucks so bad. Lol.
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 6:02:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 1:00:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I think it is awesome you would volunteer your time for a live teaching event on SW basics.
View Quote

Heh, you and one other person, apparently.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 2:59:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Freecad sucks so bad. Lol.
View Quote

It's still a functional tool. I use it, and I've released gun designs that have been printed and remixed by others. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but it gets the job done.

I think it's important that open source CAD software is available, especially for a community that can be "inconvenient" to large companies.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 12:32:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Heh, you and one other person, apparently.
View Quote

I'd be interested. Very interested even if no one else does it.

@-Obsessed-
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 12:44:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I'd be interested. Very interested even if no one else does it.

@-Obsessed-
View Quote

Might just be the three of us.

Let me find a screen sharing/audio sharing platform that is free. I'll leave this thread open for now in case anyone else is interested.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 1:30:17 PM EDT
[#19]
I NEED 3D modeling training.
Have an old copy of SW on a 32 bit laptop.
Work a 10 hour 2nd shift, no free time.
Would appreciate a recorded video for offline viewing.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 8:43:13 PM EDT
[#20]
For those interested, would you prefer Cisco WebEx, Apache OpenMeetings, or Google Hangouts? They all seem free for use.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 9:20:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Hangouts is probably the easiest.
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 11:24:44 PM EDT
[#22]
I'd be in for tinkercad or the like.  But not interested in paying for cad programs.  I'm just a home gamer and tend to modify thingiverse files.
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 11:29:55 PM EDT
[#23]
@mancow
@BURN

Want to PM me a few dates in the next month that might work for you?

Make sure you have SW downloaded installed and all that fun crap. It takes a LONG freakin' time.

PM me if you have any questions on getting it setup or if you're not sure if you want SW or not. I find it to be well worth the $100/yr.
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 11:43:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Awesome. I'll get a copy and set it up and reply directly with some dates. Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 4:15:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Awesome. I'll get a copy and set it up and reply directly with some dates. Thanks.
View Quote

same
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 5:14:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
People may not know about this but veterans can get a student version of Solidworks for $20 a year and students can get the same thing for I think $30 a year. Both have CAM, FEA, weldments, and sheet metal.

Not sure if just a .edu email is needed or not? Find a local community College, enroll in one class then drop out. Just like that you have cheap Solidworks. Maybe could even sign your kid up for a student account to "borrow". Both options seem like a bunch of hoops to jump threw when other easier programs to get are available though.
View Quote

I sent in the paperwork for that like 8 months ago and... crickets.  
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 3:28:51 PM EDT
[#27]
What might work well too is a Q&A with video answers similar to how some of the Lars videos are with F360.

Maybe a tacked thread or similar, someone posts a how to question and you can post a video of how to accomplish it.

Unfortunately for me personally, F360 is my goto and Solidworks is the option not worth the cost for me.

But I know when I was learning how to model in F360 (coming from a 2d drawing background), most of my questions were not how to use the software, they were how do I model this feature that I want.
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 7:01:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I sent in the paperwork for that like 8 months ago and... crickets.  
View Quote

Might want to try again. I just reupped my subscription and it took a day and a half for them to verify me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top