Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/27/2022 11:32:27 AM EDT
So I'm 6'0 almost 6'1. 34-36" jeans.  Varied from 175 to 200.

More or less always been averageish to decent, aka not fat. My frame size is capable of more though.  

I don't eat fast food, drink much pop, try to avoid beer or alcohol.

I've always been a fan of homework outs with simple stuff like pushups. Work provides a gym membership though.

Kinda want a simple nutrition and workout routine.

If it comes in a box or bag (outside of like pasta, or vegetables), or goes in the microwave I try to avoid it.  Nutrition for burning weight I can do, but it seems like nutrition for building big muscle I haven't ever been able to do.

Working out every day is not of interest. MWF if more my style.

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 1:54:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Chicken breast/thigh, veggies, rice
3/2/1 ratio

Bike 2 miles every day ALL OUT
Run 2 miles every day - 1 mile ALL OUT, 1 mile recovery
50 push ups
50 pull ups
50 sit ups

180 days later
you will be jacked
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 3:04:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ar15joe:
Chicken breast/thigh, veggies, rice
3/2/1 ratio

Bike 2 miles every day ALL OUT
Run 2 miles every day - 1 mile ALL OUT, 1 mile recovery
50 push ups
50 pull ups
50 sit ups

180 days later
you will be jacked
View Quote

This may get him shredded. It will NOT add size and muscle.

OP, eating (especially protein) and lifting weights are the only way to add much in the way of muscle. Something like Starting Strength to get strong, then Jim Wendler's Boring But Big program to add muscle. Eat to perform and add size to it. Use cardio and diet in between lifting cycles to trim back off any fat added.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 3:17:01 PM EDT
[#3]
40/30/30 (carbs/fats/proteins)  is a good starting place for macros if you stick to healthy carbs, fats, and proteins.  Try not to make to much of your protein from shakes like no more than 2 scoops a day.

You need to do lots of compound lifts and do progressive overload.  Body weight exercises are not going to cut it for getting "jacked".
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 5:26:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Boring but big and a pound of beef a day will grow you.

Link Posted: 7/28/2022 7:01:55 AM EDT
[#5]
What does getting jacked mean to you?

Your height and weight doesn’t tell the story without knowing your body fat percentage.  

You say you are 6’1” 175 lbs but have a larger waist than I do.  I’m 5’7” 165 lbs with a 28-29” waist.  

You need eggs and heavy lifting in your life.  Body weight exercise is basically cardio IMO it’s not going to grow your muscles.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 12:52:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Start here:

Choosing Exercises for Muscle Growth | Hypertrophy Made Simple #1

and

Basic Principles for Nutrition for Muscle Gain | Nutrition for Muscle Gain- Lecture 1

If you want to get jacked, train to build muscle and eat to build muscle. Sounds insulting, but a lot of people do not know what that means.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 3:12:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Steak, fresh eggs, raw milk and compound lifts.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 3:49:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Spatten:
Start here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cW0EmO12Lk

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rTTRl-tuAs

If you want to get jacked, train to build muscle and eat to build muscle. Sounds insulting, but a lot of people do not know what that means.
View Quote

The training part I know.

The diet, man.  The diet is tough to nail down.  I'm going to talk with a local nutritionist and have her come up with something for me.  I cut too much and then my workout suffers as does my sleep.  I bulk too much, I move away from my goal of reducing body fat (currently at 12-13%, want to get to 10%).

I'm 44.  When I was 22 this shit was much, much easier.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 4:59:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By rob78:

The diet, man.  The diet is tough to nail down.  I'm going to talk with a local nutritionist and have her come up with something for me.  I cut too much and then my workout suffers as does my sleep.  I bulk too much, I move away from my goal of reducing body fat (currently at 12-13%, want to get to 10%).

View Quote

I'm 47 and was recently a little over a month ago down to 7%.  Ten percent is easy to maintain for me, but 7% was tough and I did start to lose strength.  I said screw that I started to up my calories to get back to my current 10% where I like to be most of the year.  I spend some time during the winter months bulking and like to be between 12-15% when bulking but never ever over 15%.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 10:11:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Spatten:
Start here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cW0EmO12Lk

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rTTRl-tuAs

View Quote

Lots of good info here, he's also juiced to the moon. There's nothing wrong with that but it's a huge factor that shouldn't be overlooked.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 10:30:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Steroids is the way to be jacked. You can just fluff and pump reps until your heart gives out.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 7:14:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By lefty-weaver-g19:

I'm 47 and was recently a little over a month ago down to 7%.  Ten percent is easy to maintain for me, but 7% was tough and I did start to lose strength.  I said screw that I started to up my calories to get back to my current 10% where I like to be most of the year.  I spend some time during the winter months bulking and like to be between 12-15% when bulking but never ever over 15%.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I've got a plan now.  Looks like a big part of my problem were the weekends.  Less calorie burn (no gym on sat or sun) so fewer calories needed, but higher protein needed.  Gonna give this a shot.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 8:33:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 10:21:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Above post is on point. Lots of good info there.

If you’re looking more specifically for routines to pack on size, search “doggcrapp training

I linked one site but there’s lots of others out there with info.  I did it for a while in college and was amazed by how much size it packed on me. Time in the gym was minimal as you’re doing one working set for each lift.  Recovery was important and the amount of protein I was consuming each day was a crucial part of it all (and the reason it’s hard to do for any real length of time).

If you’ve been out of the gym for a while (regardless of what program you ultimately get into), you’ll want to start out slow/light with great form to avoid hurting yourself.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 6:38:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: anono] [#15]
If you want to get big start lifting as much as you can for 5x6 on squats, dead lifts, should shrugs, bench, incline bench.
Lift 5x10 for barbell curls, lat pull downs, tri pulls, lying tri extensions. For stomach do situps, leg kicks, and use that rolling thing.

Do a 1 on, 2 cardio rotation. Combine the exercises how you want, but rest them at least two days between heavy lifts. Do cardio or light cardio on the rest days.

Throw in some dumbbell work for getting cut and isolation.

Eat as much protein as you can and rest as much as you can.

It's not rocket science, you just have to put in the work, eat protein, and sleep.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 9:06:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Its been a month OP. Where are you at?
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 12:38:11 PM EDT
[#17]

You say you are 6’1” 175 lbs but have a larger waist than I do.  I’m 5’7” 165 lbs with a 28-29” waist.  

You need eggs and heavy lifting in your life.  Body weight exercise is basically cardio IMO it’s not going to grow your muscles.
View Quote

6'1 and 175 means the guy is small and likely not carrying around a gunt    ---   variances in skeletal structure from one human to another affect waist size as much as bodyfat percent
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 12:39:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By 03RN:
Its been a month OP. Where are you at?
View Quote

Another one and done operator evidently.        But with the post count the dude has, im guessing he's in one of the other areas of General talking politics - lol
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 2:19:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Figured, I'd post just got back from the gym tonight. Finally found one with hours that work with my schedule, ie late or early. Also not having to drive 45 minutes one way to the gym is nice.

Planning M/W/F routine.  Figure 30mins to an hour.

I didn't do anything crazy today, just machine exercises, incline bench and leg press.

Noticed my weight is about 205 today.

Not sure how long it'll take, don't really have a goal for weight etc. but when I take off my shirt I want to look great, instead of decent. So guess 180 days I guess is the goal.

So any tips everyone has let me know. Figuring ill take pictures at 30,60,90,120,150,180 days since I typically do best when I set a goal for myself.

I know I'd like to bench at least 200 in 6 months.
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 9:52:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Chromekilla:
Figured, I'd post just got back from the gym tonight. Finally found one with hours that work with my schedule, ie late or early. Also not having to drive 45 minutes one way to the gym is nice.

Planning M/W/F routine.  Figure 30mins to an hour.

I didn't do anything crazy today, just machine exercises, incline bench and leg press.

Noticed my weight is about 205 today.

Not sure how long it'll take, don't really have a goal for weight etc. but when I take off my shirt I want to look great, instead of decent. So guess 180 days I guess is the goal.

So any tips everyone has let me know. Figuring ill take pictures at 30,60,90,120,150,180 days since I typically do best when I set a goal for myself.

I know I'd like to bench at least 200 in 6 months.
View Quote

I'd bank on an hour at the gym.  I can't see making much progress in half hour stints.  Allow for 1 to 1.5 minute rests between sets.  Your heart rate should remain elevated (cal burn), but you're allowing enough rest for hypertrophy.

Me personally , I'd throw the scale in the closet and forget about it.  Aesthetic and strength are your goals, not some arbitrary weight.  The scale only deludes or depresses...not a good measure of success.  Instead, focus on how your clothes fit.

I don't know your starting 1RM is for bench is, but 200lbs is definitely doable in 6 months.  I may get crucified here, but I'd strongly suggest sticking with dumbbells for most of your training...at least in the beginning.  Dumbbells will activate the small muscles needed for stability.  Dumbbells promote symmetry since you can't favor your strong side. Dumbbells will ,IMO, lead to better form once you progress to the barbell.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 12:41:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Stronlifts 5x5 is the answer you seek. You start with just the bar, but the weight adds up pretty quickly. The downside is you may put on more pounds than you want, but you'll definitely get to 225 in 6 months if you religiously stick with the program.
https://stronglifts.com/5x5/
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 1:04:13 AM EDT
[#22]
What do you have for a guy with bad knees?
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 6:32:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By jos51700:
What do you have for a guy with bad knees?
View Quote

Lookup kneesovertoesguy on youtube, and his ATG program.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 6:59:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Left_Cant:
Stronlifts 5x5 is the answer you seek. You start with just the bar, but the weight adds up pretty quickly. The downside is you may put on more pounds than you want, but you'll definitely get to 225 in 6 months if you religiously stick with the program.
https://stronglifts.com/5x5/
View Quote

As the name implies, Stonglifts 5x5 is a strength building program.

To get "jacked", OP needs a hypertrophy based program.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 1:42:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By LoneCoyoteHunter:

As the name implies, Stonglifts 5x5 is a strength building program.

To get "jacked", OP needs a hypertrophy based program.
View Quote

If he's 205 with a 36-38" waist trying to get to a 200lb bench in six months, there's not a hypertrophy program in the world that's going to get him to "jacked" naturally in 6 months. Get strong, then cut the fat. Tried and true method.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 2:07:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By streetstar:

6'1 and 175 means the guy is small and likely not carrying around a gunt    ---   variances in skeletal structure from one human to another affect waist size as much as bodyfat percent
View Quote

Ya probably skinny fat.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 1:21:55 AM EDT
[#27]
One week down. Outside of getting in the routine, I've noticed all my weights have increased a lot. Doesn't really mean much other than I was warming up the muscles the first week. Probably be posting back in for tips, but the 5x5 looks good.

The standard still one gram protein per lb of bf?
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 2:11:40 PM EDT
[#28]
One week down?  Your OP was nearly 5 months ago?  You could have made some serious progress in 5 months.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 3:44:05 PM EDT
[#29]
I started 5x5 3 weeks ago. I'm going to continue, but I feel like I'm definitely going to want to add more lifts at some point. My sons hit all sorts of different machines/lifts in the gym and my youngest (19) is getting huge. He's impressive to see especially right after a workout.

I've probably done the wrong thing, but I realized how little I was lifting and grossly increased the amount of weight much faster than the schedule.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 3:46:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By ProfessorFalken:
I started 5x5 3 weeks ago. I'm going to continue, but I feel like I'm definitely going to want to add more lifts at some point. My sons hit all sorts of different machines/lifts in the gym and my youngest (19) is getting huge. He's impressive to see especially right after a workout.

I've probably done the wrong thing, but I realized how little I was lifting and grossly increased the amount of weight much faster than the schedule.
View Quote

The problem with that, is that 19 year olds are basically super human. They don't need to sleep, they can survive off pop tarts and milk, and work their asses off each day and recover just fine.

Meanwhile I'm over here trying to figure out if I should spend an hour tonight under the bar or just using the Theragun and stretching so that I can survive the cold this week.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 4:04:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By sitdwnandhngon:

The problem with that, is that 19 year olds are basically super human. They don't need to sleep, they can survive off pop tarts and milk, and work their asses off each day and recover just fine.

Meanwhile I'm over here trying to figure out if I should spend an hour tonight under the bar or just using the Theragun and stretching so that I can survive the cold this week.
View Quote

To add to this, he's become borderline obsessed with proper diet and supplements, so he's definitely realizing huge gains. Guaranteed he's going to end up with stretch marks by summer.
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 9:22:38 AM EDT
[#32]

To add to this, he's become borderline obsessed with proper diet and supplements, so he's definitely realizing huge gains. Guaranteed he's going to end up with stretch marks by summer.
View All Quotes

I was ripped up in my late teens and early 20's.  I ate anything, drank anything, hiked/biked/worked out (not one supplement).  It was relatively easy back then.  At 44, I count everything, and work out religiously...its tough.  I get sore and achy (especially when I bump up weight).

So, don't worry about your son.  He's gonna beat you to the gains, but you can catch him in time.

Link Posted: 12/12/2022 11:20:29 AM EDT
[#33]

I was ripped up in my late teens and early 20's.  I ate anything, drank anything, hiked/biked/worked out (not one supplement).  It was relatively easy back then.  At 44, I count everything, and work out religiously...its tough.  I get sore and achy (especially when I bump up weight).

So, don't worry about your son.  He's gonna beat you to the gains, but you can catch him in time.

View All Quotes

Not likely. Nature is on the side of the young and she's a cruel mistress
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 11:22:26 AM EDT
[#34]

View Quote

Resist the urge to add more lifts or alter the program.  If it's one of the proven 5 x 5 programs they work.  Stick to the program.  If it's truly a life style then play the long game.  The 5 x 5 programs will put on muscle, but they are primarily strength programs, not hypertrophy.  

I'm 48 and ripped.  I've been doing this a long time(life style).  I did slack off in my mid to late 30's before restarting in my early 40's.  Your diet and sleep is more important now than it was when you were young.

When I say play the long game here is what I mean...

I just finished a 12 week Madcow routine.  I got stronger breaking some plateaus by the end of the 12 weeks.  I didn't gain much mass although I was in a calorie surplus.  After the 12 weeks I did a deload week.  Over the next few weeks I switched up to a hypertrophy body builder type strategy.  I went a little extreme in the other direction.  From 5's with compounds I switched to isolation exercises with 15-20 rep ranges.  I was able to use more weight on the isolations than I previously could.  Bam immediate growth.  I will do this for a little while and switch back to 5's with heavy compounds.  So playing the long game the 5's didn't immediately cause growth, but I got stronger so when I moved to a hypertrophy strategy I was more successful.  I've been doing this a long time and I've found that an extreme change in programming some times is what is needed to start making gains again.

Link Posted: 12/12/2022 11:48:09 AM EDT
[#35]

View All Quotes

Just trying to put some optimism into the conversation

Link Posted: 12/12/2022 3:28:13 PM EDT
[#36]
There's a lot of complexity in this thread.

Your diet should focus on dead animals, with a secondary component coming from small amounts of fruits and vegetables, and a very small (if any) helping of grains.  Eat 1.2g of protein per lean pound of body weight, and measure your BMI with the neck-to-waist-ratio method to get a baseline.

Google "Starting Strength" and get on that program, minus the 1gal/milk/day.

That will get you on the "lifestyle" path.  Once you have good habits/addictions formed, and your clothes are fitting differently, come back and check in.
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 4:16:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By tucansam:

Your diet should focus on dead animals, with a secondary component coming from small amounts of fruits and vegetables, and a very small (if any) helping of grains.  Eat 1.2g of protein per lean pound of body weight, and measure your BMI with the neck-to-waist-ratio method to get a baseline.

That will get you on the "lifestyle" path.  Once you have good habits/addictions formed, and your clothes are fitting differently, come back and check in.
View Quote

I drink a lot of milk every day.  Not a gallon a day, but a lot.  Eggs, beef, green beans, oatmeal, and milk as the primary sources for my diet has served me well.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 1:18:53 AM EDT
[#38]

I drink a lot of milk every day.  Not a gallon a day, but a lot.  Eggs, beef, green beans, oatmeal, and milk as the primary sources for my diet has served me well.
View All Quotes

Sweet.

For OP: 1gal/day/milk is not necessary for you.

Link Posted: 12/13/2022 1:39:57 AM EDT
[#39]
Eat more protein, workout everyday
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 2:16:52 AM EDT
[#40]

Sweet.

View Quote

It’s not actually meant for anyone. Gomad was never meant for anyone to take literally.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 6:31:46 AM EDT
[#41]

It’s not actually meant for anyone. Gomad was never meant for anyone to take literally.
View All Quotes

Sweet.

17 year olds that need to gain about 40 lbs, that's pretty much it, and only because they would never follow any actual diet advice, so you have to just get good calories into them.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 2:20:00 PM EDT
[#42]

17 year olds that need to gain about 40 lbs, that's pretty much it, and only because they would never follow any actual diet advice, so you have to just get good calories into them.
View Quote

Rip himself at one point said that if you can actually drink a gallon of milk a day this program isn't meant for you.  It was on his youtube channel.  Basically he said eat your meals and add as much milk as you can not expecting anyone to actually be able to do that plus a gallon a day.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 2:53:56 PM EDT
[#43]
While I'm sure some people took it seriously, I believe his intent was more metaphorical, or as you stated, supplementing meals with milk.  

When you're 15 or 16 or 17 and want to wrestle or play football, and have a metabolism that burns with the fire of a thousand suns, and a T score of 900+, lift heavy things correctly and eat everything you see and you'll get really big and really strong.  That's pretty much the program.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 7:56:27 PM EDT
[#44]
While I'm sure some people took it seriously, I believe his intent was more metaphorical, or as you stated, supplementing meals with milk.  

When you're 15 or 16 or 17 and want to wrestle or play football, and have a metabolism that burns with the fire of a thousand suns, and a T score of 900+, lift heavy things correctly and eat everything you see and you'll get really big and really strong.  That's pretty much the program.
View Quote

My uncle at one point had 3 teenage athletes in the house. He stopped that store on the way home every night and bought two gallons of milk, they plowed right through it, especially in the summer when they were home for more of the day and would pour theselves a glass pretty much every time they went into the kitchen.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 3:01:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Chromekilla] [#45]
Overall having fun dialing in my program, and figuring out what I like.

Also working on my diet. Strong mix of bananas, apples, some kind of meat, cheese sticks, nuts, trail mix, hard boiled eggs, and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Eat my biggest meal around mid day.  

After workouts/before I go to sleep I typically drink a protein shake with 50g protein, a cheese stick, or glass of milk and a spoonful of peanut butter. Any other thoughts besides stay with it?

One thing I find, I really hate chicken and I find folks suggest that a lot as a protein. If I can get tuna/salmon would that be a good replacement?

Link Posted: 12/20/2022 6:42:05 AM EDT
[#46]

Also working on my diet. Strong mix of bananas, apples, some kind of meat, cheese sticks, nuts, trail mix, hard boiled eggs, and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Eat my biggest meal around mid day.  

After workouts/before I go to sleep I typically drink a protein shake with 50g protein, a cheese stick, or glass of milk and a spoonful of peanut butter. Any other thoughts besides stay with it?

One thing I find, I really hate chicken and I find folks suggest that a lot as a protein. If I can get tuna/salmon would that be a good replacement?

View Quote

Salmon can get expensive to eat every day, but it's better nutritionally than chicken.  Tuna every day is not ideal for every day consumption. Herring and Mackerel are cheap and don't have mercury issues that would come with eating it every day.  It sounds gross and they smell gross, but they actually taste much better than tuna.  I don't like chicken either, but I do love eggs and I eat a dozen some days.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 8:18:48 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Jarcese:

Salmon can get expensive to eat every day, but it's better nutritionally than chicken.  Tuna every day is not ideal for every day consumption. Herring and Mackerel are cheap and don't have mercury issues that would come with eating it every day.  It sounds gross and they smell gross, but they actually taste much better than tuna.  I don't like chicken either, but I do love eggs and I eat a dozen some days.
View All Quotes

+1

Good alternative proteins.

I'd also recommend black beans, quinoa, as alternatives.  They make a great side dish.  I eat the hell out of riced cauliflower as well.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 1:33:58 AM EDT
[#48]
Was able to use a day gym on break to stay with it. Tons of old as hell stuff, made me glad to be back home at my regular gym with all new stuff. Really liking the gym thing again, be real fun when I'm breaking my records and seeing the progress. Thanks everyone for all the tips
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 9:05:18 AM EDT
[#49]

+1

I'd also recommend black beans, quinoa, as alternatives.  They make a great side dish.  I eat the hell out of riced cauliflower as well.
View All Quotes

+1

Are there any real advantages to cauliflower other than a filler? The nutrient profile seems pretty boring and calories are super low.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 9:41:44 AM EDT
[#50]

Are there any real advantages to cauliflower other than a filler? The nutrient profile seems pretty boring and calories are super low.
View All Quotes

+1

Outside of magnesium content, no, it doesn't have a ton of nutritional value.

I use it as a filler.  I generally use it as a rice replacement.  I can prep it faster than rice, it takes flavor well enough, and I don't get the carb count from it that rice does.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top