Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/9/2018 5:48:26 PM EDT
The last couple years, my job has gotten in the way of staying in decent shape.  I finally am back to where I can start working out again, and have set a goal of doing a Spartan race or Tough mudder race sometime in 2019.

My family has decided that my present this year will be some much needed workout equipment to help me get towards my current fitness goals.  Originally, the idea was to get a set of Powerblocks, hence the $300 budget, but I'm considering a few other options.

Here's what I have available to me currently and what I have been working on. I work a split schedule (2 weeks at home, 2 weeks at work), so the equipment available to me is a bit different at both.

At home, I have extremely limited space for working out, ie, no room for a bench or barbells.  I have the following:
- Rowing Machine
- Power Tower
- 30# kettle bell
- 15# medicine ball
- Stairs

At work, the housing has a small gym, with the following.  
- Treadmills
- Elliptical
- Full complement of dumbbells (5# up to 50#)
- 35# kettle bell
- Adjustable bench
- Machine that allows for lat pulldowns and horizontal lat pulls, leg presses, chest press, incline chest press, and 3 pulley stations (low, mid, high) for fly's and triceps extensions, etc.  
- Pool (when the weather warms up).

I'm currently working on rehabbing my shoulder (previous rotator cuff injury), building a base of strength and losing fat.  Right now, I'm not focused on building mass, I'm in a calorie deficit, losing about 2#/week, but still happen to be getting stronger.  At this pace, I'll be ready to shift gears in 3-5 weeks and start working on building a little mass when I shift my calories back up.  I've seen some good results over the last 2 or so months since I started working out, even putting a little mass on despite being in calorie deficit, although initially I was kinda at an even point calorically.  In the last 2 1/2 months, I've added 3/4" to my arms, 2.5"+ to my chest, 2" to my shoulders, 1"+ to my butt, etc. and at the same time, I'm losing fat pretty quickly.  I don't have the bone structure to ever be huge, but I would like to look as good as I can.

Current workout setup is 5-6 days a week, depending on my travel schedule, usually about 1-1.5 hours.  Odd days are chest, triceps, shoulders and abs.  Even days are legs, glutes, lats and biceps.  Cardio is a usually some sort of HIIT, either kettlebell swings, rowing machine or throwing my old body armor vest on and running stairs.

So with all that said:  I'm thinking the best thing to add to my Home setup is a set of dumbbells.  I could either afford to order a set of Powerblocks, or get a limited set of traditional dumbbells (probably only 3 pairs of weights (maybe 30#, 35#, 40#)), or a set of dumbbells that take plates.

Of those three options, which would be the best choice, long term?  Is there something else that would be a better option?

Kinda long, I know.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 7:22:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
The last couple years, my job has gotten in the way of staying in decent shape.  I finally am back to where I can start working out again, and have set a goal of doing a Spartan race or Tough mudder race sometime in 2019.

My family has decided that my present this year will be some much needed workout equipment to help me get towards my current fitness goals.  Originally, the idea was to get a set of Powerblocks, hence the $300 budget, but I'm considering a few other options.

Here's what I have available to me currently and what I have been working on. I work a split schedule (2 weeks at home, 2 weeks at work), so the equipment available to me is a bit different at both.

At home, I have extremely limited space for working out, ie, no room for a bench or barbells.  I have the following:
- Rowing Machine
- Power Tower
- 30# kettle bell
- 15# medicine ball
- Stairs

At work, the housing has a small gym, with the following.  
- Treadmills
- Elliptical
- Full complement of dumbbells (5# up to 50#)
- 35# kettle bell
- Adjustable bench
- Machine that allows for lat pulldowns and horizontal lat pulls, leg presses, chest press, incline chest press, and 3 pulley stations (low, mid, high) for fly's and triceps extensions, etc.  
- Pool (when the weather warms up).

I'm currently working on rehabbing my shoulder (previous rotator cuff injury), building a base of strength and losing fat.  Right now, I'm not focused on building mass, I'm in a calorie deficit, losing about 2#/week, but still happen to be getting stronger.  At this pace, I'll be ready to shift gears in 3-5 weeks and start working on building a little mass when I shift my calories back up.  I've seen some good results over the last 2 or so months since I started working out, even putting a little mass on despite being in calorie deficit, although initially I was kinda at an even point calorically.  In the last 2 1/2 months, I've added 3/4" to my arms, 2.5"+ to my chest, 2" to my shoulders, 1"+ to my butt, etc. and at the same time, I'm losing fat pretty quickly.  I don't have the bone structure to ever be huge, but I would like to look as good as I can.

Current workout setup is 5-6 days a week, depending on my travel schedule, usually about 1-1.5 hours.  Odd days are chest, triceps, shoulders and abs.  Even days are legs, glutes, lats and biceps.  Cardio is a usually some sort of HIIT, either kettlebell swings, rowing machine or throwing my old body armor vest on and running stairs.

So with all that said:  I'm thinking the best thing to add to my Home setup is a set of dumbbells.  I could either afford to order a set of Powerblocks, or get a limited set of traditional dumbbells (probably only 3 pairs of weights (maybe 30#, 35#, 40#)), or a set of dumbbells that take plates.

Of those three options, which would be the best choice, long term?  Is there something else that would be a better option?

Kinda long, I know.
View Quote
Powerblocks are pretty pricy. The 10-50lb set is at your price limit before shipping.

Something else to consider: Rowing machines are like 9 ft long. If you've got room for the rower, you might be able to stand it up and have room for a squat rack and barbell (which would also be out of budget but just a thought).
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 7:34:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Powerblocks are pretty pricy. The 10-50lb set is at your price limit before shipping.

Something else to consider: Rowing machines are like 9 ft long. If you've got room for the rower, you might be able to stand it up and have room for a squat rack and barbell (which would also be out of budget but just a thought).
View Quote
Rower is long but narrow, wouldn't be able to fit a bench where it's at. Plus, my wife and 13y/o daughter use it and wouldn't want to move equipment to use it.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 7:44:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Heavy bag and cheap stand if you don't have a place to hang it.

It's a quick way to strength and endurance. I don't even box, just got one cheap at a thrift store and started goofing around with it. Within a few weeks there was already a huge difference.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 11:20:49 PM EDT
[#4]
$300 would get you a 200lb spinlock dumbbell setup from Amazon, an interval timer, and either a plyo box or dip stand.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 11:36:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Rower is long but narrow
View Quote
So’s a barbell

A bench is nice but if you got room for a rower, you got room you could squat, deadlift and overhead press with a barbell.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 11:57:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

It's a quick way to strength and endurance. I don't even box, just got one cheap at a thrift store and started goofing around with it. Within a few weeks there was already a huge difference.
View Quote
I like that idea, so does my wife.  Biggest issue is again space.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 1:01:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Lift outside?
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 1:06:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They do make pretty little ones, and smaller foot print hangers for them, don't get the full benefit of a heavier one, and being able to work 360 deg. around it, but altogether would take up less space than a lot of other stuff.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 10:28:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

So's a barbell

A bench is nice but if you got room for a rower, you got room you could squat, deadlift and overhead press with a barbell.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

So's a barbell

Not going to work with the space I have available, and budget.  About the biggest I could do would be a curl bar.  But that wouldn't give me a way to work chest very easily.

Quoted:

Lift outside?
Wx would destroy whatever I purchased.  I will be doing a fair amount outside, farmer walks and suitcase carries, sprints, etc.

Quoted:

$300 would get you a 200lb spinlock dumbbell setup from Amazon, an interval timer, and either a plyo box or dip stand.
I'm considering the spinlock dumbbells, that's probably the best choice at this point.  I'm just wondering how they hold up, and if the weights are going to fall off while I'm working out.

I already have a dip station at home, I like the idea of a plyo box though.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 5:58:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Okay, how about looking at it this way:

EZ Curl bar and about 100# of weights, or a pair of 100# dumbbells?
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 8:05:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Okay, how about looking at it this way:

EZ Curl bar and about 100# of weights, or a pair of 100# dumbbells?
View Quote
Don't get an EZ curl if you already own regular bar. With the dumbells you can still do a lot of the same work as you can with a barbell, but neither are a substitute for a good old oly bar.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 9:13:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
So’s a barbell

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rower is long but narrow
So’s a barbell

What about a fold up rack?
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 10:14:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Facebook marketplace. It will make your dollars go farther.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 9:27:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 11:17:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Solid jump rope and lots of double-unders.

I thought jump-roping was for kids. I can run a sub 7 mile without feeling out of breath, but 30 seconds of double unders makes me feel like i'm going to die. And a jump rope goes anywhere with you....can use it in and out doors, etc.

https://rpmtraining.com/ropes/speed-rope-3-0/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top