Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/6/2022 2:33:52 PM EDT
I saw this knife block on Etsy and it looks really nice. I'm a beginner wood worker and I'm curious on how this angle cut is done on the larger blocks of wood. I'm guessing that it's probably a 4-5" piece of wood that they are cutting at a slight angle. What is the best method for cutting something like this? Since I don't know much about this kind of thing, would they have just used a miter gauge on a table saw or is there a better way?

Link Posted: 5/6/2022 2:42:50 PM EDT
[#1]
An angle jig is used for those cuts.  It is not the miter gauge on the saw.  Google might help - angle jig, taper jig, wedge cuts on table saw might bring up some pictures.  It is very easy to make one.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 2:44:46 PM EDT
[#2]
A protractor should give you the angle.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 2:55:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd pop my tapered jig into the sled on my table saw.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 3:22:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
An angle jig is used for those cuts.  It is not the miter gauge on the saw.  Google might help - angle jig, taper jig, wedge cuts on table saw might bring up some pictures.  It is very easy to make one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Much thanks. I didn't even know where to begin to look since I don't know the terminology.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 10:06:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Those are short tapers but a jig in a sled would be the safe way to do it. I've done chair tapers so it should be similar.

Taper jig holds the work piece at a angle for cutting.
Attachment Attached File

Table saw sled can be store bought or a DIY job. The jig above would be too large for a sled so I would probably build one to fit in my sled. Google for a sled.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/7/2022 10:13:26 AM EDT
[#6]
For a project like that a sliding compound miter saw could work if it has enough reach to fully cut the piece in one pass.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 10:30:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

that would be preferred but a mitre gage would work if fiddly if your larger board was wide enough to just keep cutting off the end.  One just has to know not to try and do stuff that would require you to get your hands near the blade.  push sticks, feather boards, et cetera

You could band saw proud and sand to the line.  

Lots and lots of ways to get the same job done.

Heck a sharp handsaw and careful strokes will do fine.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 12:33:05 PM EDT
[#8]
That’s awfully thick for most table saws to cut. Especially with a sled under the piece.

A band saw with a taper jig would be preferred.

Another way to do it would be to use a planer or belt sander.  You put blocks under one side to hold it at and angle. Then plane it until you get a full length cut.

Your still going to Want a band saw to cut the curve.

Link Posted: 5/7/2022 3:58:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Taper jig as others have said.

Either on the table saw or band saw, followed up with a pass on the jointer or a hand plane to clean it up.

Another jig for gluing it up, basically a negative mold.

The only tricky part really is avoiding getting glue in the slots where the knives will go.

These cuts would be extremely unsafe on a sliding miter saw, even with a fixture to hold them.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 4:07:51 PM EDT
[#10]
I have seen a video where someone used a jointer to cut tapers

https://www.amazon.com/Micro-DVC-538K2-MATCHFIT-Dovetail-Clamps/dp/B079FZ768Y

Here is an option to make a sled
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 12:26:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 10:24:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
For a project like that a sliding compound miter saw could work if it has enough reach to fully cut the piece in one pass.
View Quote

Only if you don’t mind the pieces be cross grain
Don’t do that.  Especially if you value your fingers.  The boards won’t be that wide
Use a taper jig like shown about if using a table saw

If no table saw, cut the wedges on a band saw, or with a hand saw or jig saw
Hand plane one face flat
Then you’ll need to make a shooting board to get the exact angle on all of them and have to flat perfectly smooth faces for good glue up,  make the shooting board so the wedge shape fits in like an insert, and a couple swipes and it will be smooth and true.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 10:47:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Taper jig on a table saw for the walnut wedges.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top