Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2022 11:06:51 PM EDT
Do you use sharpening jigs, or can it be done simply with the rest that comes with a grinder?
I'm getting ready to purchase a mini lathe and tools, but I need to figure out whether or not I need a tool sharpening jig.
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 11:11:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 11:45:16 PM EDT
[#2]
One word, Tormek.
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 11:55:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GlutealCleft] [#3]
Originally Posted By AZ_Sky:
Do you use sharpening jigs, or can it be done simply with the rest that comes with a grinder?
I'm getting ready to purchase a mini lathe and tools, but I need to figure out whether or not I need a tool sharpening jig.
View Quote

Old school English woodturners did it all freehand, they learned to be "just that good" at it.  Super-wild production turners like Alan Lacer learned to do it freehand because time is money, and they didn't have time to waste.

But me?   Jig, baby, jig.

Keep in mind that things about your sharpening, such as maintaining an even, single bevel are not just nice to look at, they're also safety issues because improper grinds can cause catches.

Also, technique is everything in turning.
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 11:57:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GlutealCleft] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By medicmandan:
There's a bit of a learning curve but I use the Wolverine jig.  Have to be careful, it's easy to grind down your chisel to nothing if you're not paying attention.
View Quote

I use an 1800RPM grinder with 8" fine-grit wheels.  Doesn't heat the metal up to ruin the temper at the edge if you stay in one spot, doesn't grind them away in a flash, and gets them crazy sharp.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 12:13:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Well, OK - it looks like I need to look into sharpening jigs.
It's looking like the actual lathe is gonna be the least expensive part of this endeavor...
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 4:31:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Homesteader375] [#6]
Made my own. The only complex grind I do is on my bowl gouges so I found a plan that more or less copies a wolverine style holder. I use my 8" bench grinder and a white AlOx wheel and they come out well. I have been considering adding a stropping wheel to see if it makes any difference, but mainly for my hand chisels and planes.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 4:31:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Homesteader375] [#7]
Dbltp
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 9:57:22 AM EDT
[#8]
I pretty much gave up on HS tools and made myself a set of carbides. They're easy to sharpen. :-)
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 3:36:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By AZ_Sky:
Well, OK - it looks like I need to look into sharpening jigs.
It's looking like the actual lathe is gonna be the least expensive part of this endeavor...
View Quote

You ain't a kiddin'.

I've said many times that they should give the lathes away for free,  as much as they get you on everything else.

By the way... have you priced out chisels yet?  They's spendy....
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 10:38:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Just use carbide...
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 11:22:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By DirkericPitt:
Just use carbide...
View Quote

Exactly. They're easy (and inexpensive) to make.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 3:45:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Echd] [#12]
Just use carbide...
View Quote

I use both. But I agree, starting out... a slow speed grinder, a jig, possibly cbn wheels if you're fancy, and then a collection of tools... it would be a very hard pill to swallow vs carbide and just touching them up on a diamond stone now and again.

I think traditional tools when sharp do cut better and generally leave a better finish... but I'm not sure I'd be able to tell any difference after sanding and finishing if properly done. I do think I have a bit more control riding bevels with traditional tools for small features, especially beading and rounding over, than I do with carbide, though.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 4:09:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GlutealCleft] [#13]
Just use carbide...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Just use carbide...

Scraping is gross and slow.

Watch "Skew Chisel: The Darkside and The Sweet Side DVD by Alan Lacer", and see what a sharp cutting tool can do.

I mean, sure.  If someone made a carbide roughing gouge and skew...that would be cool.  But scraping is awful.

Originally Posted By Redarts:
I think traditional tools when sharp do cut better and generally leave a better finish... but I'm not sure I'd be able to tell any difference after sanding and finishing if properly done.

One of the things Alan Lacer has done in demos is to finish a piece real fast on the lathe, and say something to the effect of "Everyone asks me, how long does it take to sand?"  Then he tosses the piece out into the crowd without sanding, and asks if anyone thinks it needs sanded.  Generally, nobody does.

Yes, traditional tools take more skill.  But they're faster, more versatile, leave a better finish, yadda, yadda, yadda.  I put off trying to learn the skew for years out of laziness... when I did, I kicked myself for not doing it up front.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 5:09:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By GlutealCleft:

Watch "Skew Chisel: The Darkside and The Sweet Side DVD by Alan Lacer", and see what a sharp cutting tool can do.

I mean, sure.  If someone made a carbide roughing gouge and skew...that would be cool.  But scraping is awful.

One of the things Alan Lacer has done in demos is to finish a piece real fast on the lathe, and say something to the effect of "Everyone asks me, how long does it take to sand?"  Then he tosses the piece out into the crowd without sanding, and asks if anyone thinks it needs sanded.  Generally, nobody does.

Yes, traditional tools take more skill.  But they're faster, more versatile, leave a better finish, yadda, yadda, yadda.  I put off trying to learn the skew for years out of laziness... when I did, I kicked myself for not doing it up front.
View Quote

My experience is mostly turning cylinders (pen barrels, specifically) and I used HSS tools for quite a while. Then, I tried a carbide skew and loved it. I hardly ever scrape, my most-used tool has a hex shaft so one can easily hold the square cutter in a normal skew orientation. I've made my own tools for the diamond and round cutters. I do recognize that HSS can be made sharper than carbide. I suppose since I only have a full-speed belt grinder that made consistent sharpening a challenge.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 9:34:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By GlutealCleft:

View Quote

Yeah, I bought a carter and sons negative rake scraper to use for most of my skew purposes. I'm ultimately unconvinced that it was worth it over just sharpening a much cheaper tool to the same grind, but I am also happy with the results of trying to use scrapers and skews more so I'm overall glad I did it. But seriously, lathe chisels are getting really overpriced for what they are.
Link Posted: 8/25/2022 12:02:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GlutealCleft] [#16]
But seriously, lathe chisels are getting really overpriced for what they are.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
But seriously, lathe chisels are getting really overpriced for what they are.

I haven't bought one in a while, let me check current prices...

Huh.  Surprisingly, they don't seem higher, or much so, than what I paid for mine about 10 years ago.  Robert Sorby makes some really good ones at not-completely-insane pricing.

I initially started out with a set of HSS chisels from Harbor Freight.  They were alright.  But the Sorby tools come off of the grinder much sharper, and hold their edge a lot longer than the Harbor Freight tools.

Originally Posted By Code_Name_Eric:
I suppose since I only have a full-speed belt grinder that made consistent sharpening a challenge.

LOL, no matter how much you have for woodturning, there is ALWAYS something else you just HAVE to buy.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2022 10:52:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Don’t forget the grinder itself and wheel
I have a baldor that I think spins around 1300 rpm.  Still fast enough you have to be careful not to overheat.  But it does run slower than many other easier to find bench grinders.   Do not have a tormek or one of the clones.  
I use a white AL2O3 fine grit wheel on one side.  Cant recall where I got it.   Been a long time.  
Also have the wolverine jig stuff.
Link Posted: 8/25/2022 9:29:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AZ_Sky] [#18]
They make cupped round and diamond carbide bits that works like a HSS tools and have to be used as such - in fact if you try to use it as a carbide scrapper it will dig big time.
I'm currently thinking carbide to get started, additionally with that cupped round bit for traditional turning without the end rip.
Link Posted: 8/27/2022 11:01:15 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm using a Rikon grinder with the Wolverine jigs. I really want to upgrade to CBN wheels soon.
I use a combination of carbide and HSS tools too. For wood, I prefer HSS but will use carbides for certain things. For resins and acrylics, negative rake carbides all day.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 9:13:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AZ_Sky] [#20]
Well, my PSI midi wood lathe just showed up.
For an inexpensive lathe, this thing runs very smooth and the head spur to live center line up extremely well.
I have some carbide tools from Amazon showing up tomorrow - so I'll see what damage I can do...

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/4/2022 9:46:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AZ_Sky] [#21]
The set of carbide turning tools showed up today from Amazon.
Yeah, they are M.i.C. but the quality seems acceptable for the price - They were marked down from $100 to $90.
Right now, I can't afford to purchase a grinder/grinding wheels/sharpining jig/and HSS turning tools - that will come.
Hopefully, I can make these work for a few months while I'm getting back into the saddle.

Attachment Attached File

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top