Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/2/2023 3:48:43 PM EDT
Anyone else running heat shields? Are they this effective?

Thermometer on top in second pic shows over 600 and it will bring the teapot to whistle pretty fast.  But I can hold my hand on side 1” away from stove. Side shield is warm to touch, wall shield is cold.  Shield is 24 ga copper and it seems to do great at reflecting heat.  Thermal pic is with insight mtm monocular

Link Posted: 2/2/2023 3:52:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I understand having a Heat Shield on the wall behind the stove, protecting the wall.  But I don't understand having a Heat Shield on the side of the stove.  The goal of the stove is to heat the room and the Heat Shield on the side of the stove will keep the heat from moving away from the stove.

Am I missing something?
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 4:01:12 PM EDT
[#2]
How many times have you stubbed the fuck out of your toes with that contraption?

Link Posted: 2/2/2023 4:01:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Why didn’t you pull the stove out enough to not need the shield?
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 4:31:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Because of shit around the wood stove and how much heat it throws we have three on the sides plus the one in the back.

Original owners put the stove in a wierd spot.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 4:35:37 PM EDT
[#5]
The PE stove we had in the prior house had a built in side shield, somewhat similar to yours.  Still heated the house very well.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 4:42:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Hello fellow “tinywoodstove” enthusiast.

Attachment Attached File

Per their website:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 4:47:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I understand having a Heat Shield on the wall behind the stove, protecting the wall.  But I don't understand having a Heat Shield on the side of the stove.  The goal of the stove is to heat the room and the Heat Shield on the side of the stove will keep the heat from moving away from the stove.

Am I missing something?
View Quote

I agree. Our stove sits in an alcove about 2.5’ from the brick. The shields keep the brick a bit cooler so not to bake the stick structure behind it.

OP has no structure close to the sides. Unless it’s to try to mitigate risk for kiddos.

ETA-I do think that copper looks damn cool
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 5:06:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Just FYI:

Using infrared to judge the temperature of shiny smooth surfaces will mislead you.  Shiny smooth surfaces have low emissivity, which cause the surface to look much cooler in the IR camera.

More here.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 5:07:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 5:09:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
How many times have you stubbed the fuck out of your toes with that contraption?

View Quote

From the look of the edges, I'd say many times.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 5:10:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Am I missing something?
View Quote

I think you're right about the side heat shields, but NFPA and mfg specs say I need

Distances to Combustibles Without Shielding
18” from back of the stove
16” from sides of the stove
18” from single-wall pipe
2" from insulated pipe

a 24g sheet metal air cooled heat shield attached to the wall cuts that by 2/3rd while one attached to the stove cuts by 1/2.

Since it's less than 16" from side to the flooring past the granite, i put a side shield on there.  on the left side, i plan to build a kitchen cabinet 8" from the stove, so i'll probably convert that to a wall style once it's done.

it's heating a small cabin, so it's a very small space.   i've never stubbed my toe on it, but i might if the back of it was stuck 2.5 feet out into the room
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 5:11:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 5:15:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Just FYI:

Using infrared to judge the temperature of shiny smooth surfaces will mislead you.  Shiny smooth surfaces have low emissivity, which cause the surface to look much cooler in the IR camera.

More here.
View Quote

that's why i included a pic of me holding my hand comfortably on the side shield while the thermometer shows the top over 600*.   it doesn't just look much cooler, it is much cooler.  I'd guess the side shield is about 100* and the wall shield is about 60*.  another thermometer about 10' away showed ambient temp of about 50*
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 5:17:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

@silas
how long have you had yours?   you like it?
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 5:17:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Am I missing something?
View Quote

I was thinking the same thing. I've never seen heat shield connected to a wood stove.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 5:31:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I was thinking the same thing. I've never seen heat shield connected to a wood stove.
View Quote

that's why i posted.  i haven't really seen any pictures of others.  they don't seem to be common, but they apparently work dang well.  (at shielding, not so much heating the room)
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 5:40:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Heat shields are not going to keep heat in. The convective force between the shield and the stove will have air moving and while probably not as good as radiant heating the convective heating is going to add a tone of BTU to the room.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 5:44:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

@silas
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@silas

I’ve yet to light a fire in it. I bought it 8 months ago. I installed it last weekend. I’m looking forward to trying it out.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 5:44:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Double tap
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 5:51:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 5:53:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 6:03:27 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 7:05:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Heat shields are not going to keep heat in. The convective force between the shield and the stove will have air moving and while probably not as good as radiant heating the convective heating is going to add a tone of BTU to the room.
View Quote

It works well if you want to move the heat to remote areas. I have my oil furnace blower and normal household ductwork set up with a recycling timer to kick on for 5 minutes every 25. (I'm using a pellet stove, not the oil furnace). Keeps the outer rooms comfortable and freeze safe down to -20F outdoor temp so far. Some furnace fans have an extra low, constant run setting that would probably move the heat and equalize remote areas even better.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 7:08:50 PM EDT
[#24]
When i was growing up we heated our home (single wide) with a pot bellied wood stove.  We learned to hang aluminum foil on the walls close to the stove to keep the temp down.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 9:40:05 AM EDT
[#25]
if it was durable, i imagine aluminum foil would be work great
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top