Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/15/2024 1:42:24 PM EDT

A grandma has become the first swimmer to ever complete a grueling 29.7 mile swim from San Francisco to the Farallon Islands.

Amy Appelhans Gubser, 55, completed the herculean effort on May 11 after 17 hours in freezing, great white shark-infested waters.

The pediatric nurse was the first to cross the treacherous Gulf of the Farallones swim in the outbound direction and only the sixth to do it either way.

The outbound route is much harder as it is against the wind and choppy currents.

'It was the toughest thing that I have ever set out to do,' Gubser told the San Francisco Chronicle.
View Quote

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13420985/grandma-swim-san-francisco-farallon-islands.html
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:48:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Good for her!  Congratulations.  Not all challenges are mountains to climb.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:49:59 PM EDT
[#2]
43 degrees is not freezing.

OEM grandma or does she have a dangler?
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:50:45 PM EDT
[#3]

that's a damn long time to be in water that cold
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:55:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MadMonkey:

View Quote

Figuratively it is.  Literal definition is below 32 degrees.  Figuratively it means really fucking cold.  Swimming in 43 degree water for 17 hours qualifies for the figurative definition.  Quit being a tard.  It was an amazing physical accomplishment.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:56:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Wow pretty impressive feat even more so since those islands are or at least were a huge garbage dump frequented by white sharks.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:06:15 PM EDT
[#6]
There is a lot of good fishing out there.

Quite the impressive feat.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:06:17 PM EDT
[#7]
She's got more.. insulation.. than I was expecting for someone who must swim regularly to accomplish such a feat.

Insulation or not, I can't imagine not doing that in a wetsuit, particularly at those temps. The lake at my parent's is 45° right now and I won't get in past my legs. Guess I'm a giant wuss
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:07:22 PM EDT
[#8]

View Quote

Just to be clear... Hypothermia is no joke and water will kill you alot faster than air. I assure you she was freezing and burned tons of calories  to accomplish that swim. The Hypothermia exposure time to death at that water temp is like an hour

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:08:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Impressive as hell.

I won't go next.  
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:09:47 PM EDT
[#10]
43 degrees is collldd in the water.

My wife and I did the Catalina midnight swim with water temps around the low 60s and by the time the sun came up, we were both cold and ready to be done.  As an average swimmer, I found it absolutely grueling.

This lady is amazing in my book.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:10:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Bourbonator:
She's got more.. insulation.. than I was expecting for someone who must swim regularly to accomplish such a feat.

Insulation or not, I can't imagine not doing that in a wetsuit, particularly at those temps. The lake at my parent's is 45° right now and I won't get in past my legs. Guess I'm a giant wuss
View Quote

Insulation has to help also buoyancy.  I once swam in the North Sea during winter while it was snowing.  I could feel my nuts pressing up on my lungs it felt like part of the polar bear challenge was to swim out about 100n and swim back in.  I did it but I could not feel my entire arms and legs by the time I got back and shivered for most of the day afterwards it seemed.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:12:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Impressive to say the least. But I must admit I was expecting someone a little more um...hydrodynamic.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:12:48 PM EDT
[#13]

Insulation or not, I can't imagine not doing that in a wetsuit, particularly at those temps. The lake at my parent's is 45  right now and I won't get in past my legs. Guess I'm a giant wuss
View Quote
There is a reason marine mammals have a lot of blubber.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:14:57 PM EDT
[#14]
dang
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:16:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Badlatitude:
I assure you she was freezing

View Quote

Not at 43 she wasn't.

Prolly nippy tho.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:17:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Impressive
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:18:02 PM EDT
[#17]
I'll be sending her a marriage proposal.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:20:03 PM EDT
[#18]
43 degree water temps
3am in the dark
30 miles

I'll give credit where credit is due....that's impressive.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:24:01 PM EDT
[#19]

Not at 43 she wasn't.

Prolly nippy tho.
View Quote

Quit being obtuse (lacking sharpness or quickness of sensibility or intellect : INSENSITIVE, STUPID)

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/freezing

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:24:08 PM EDT
[#20]
So, did they let her back on the boat?
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:34:56 PM EDT
[#21]

View Quote

She's not the first fat chick to wear a wetsuit. The jury's still out on whether or not it should be an accepted custom.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:39:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Swims right into a great white feeding area...Hell Nope!
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 3:08:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Koa:
Swims right into a great white feeding area...Hell Nope!
View Quote

There's a limit to how wide they can open their jaws, she was safe.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 3:10:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Impressive.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 3:11:49 PM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

It's well into hypothermia range. Especially for that span of time.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 3:14:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Greyswandir] [#26]

Just kidding. Gotta respect the feat....amazing human endurance!
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 3:15:17 PM EDT
[#27]
I just wonder what the fuck was chasing her
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 3:16:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By SiVisPacem:

She's not the first fat chick to wear a wetsuit. The jury's still out on whether or not it should be an accepted custom.
View Quote

Under open water marathon rules, wetsuits aren't allowed. It was the same with the Catalina swim.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 3:17:19 PM EDT
[#29]
That’s impressive.  

Hardest part is suppressing the fear associated with being in murky deep water.  Doing triathlons I was on the verge of panic a few times being so far off shore, sticking your face in the water and seeing nothing but the black abyss.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 3:22:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By PacNW5:

Under open water marathon rules, wetsuits aren't allowed. It was the same with the Catalina swim.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Is 29.7 an open water marathon, or any distance greater than x?

Didn't know the wetsuit isn't an option. My swims are all under 3 miles and wetsuits are definitely kosher.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 3:22:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DK-Prof] [#31]
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 3:30:25 PM EDT
[#32]

View Quote

Spend 17 hours in 43 degree water and I promise you won't have a dangler either.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 3:40:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By 9divdoc:
Wow pretty impressive feat even more so since those islands are or at least were a huge garbage dump frequented by white sharks.
View Quote

Read about this yesterday. My first thought was “aren’t there a ton of great whites in the area?”
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 3:46:47 PM EDT
[#34]

Didn't know the wetsuit isn't an option. My swims are all under 3 miles and wetsuits are definitely kosher.
View Quote

I should have specified that under Channel rules, you’re not allowed a wetsuit.

Ironman allows a wetsuit based on water temperature. So, it depends on the sport.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 3:56:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MadMonkey] [#35]
Originally Posted By DK-Prof:

ETA:  Despite several people being pedantic and pointing out that 43 degree isn't technically "freezing" - it is really, REALLY cold for swimming.  Even with a thick wetsuit, 43 degrees is extremely cold.  I'm a SCUBA diver, and I wouldn't get into 43 degree water in a 7mm wetsuit, even just for a short recreational dive.  17 hours?  Holy fuck.
View Quote

I hopped from a hot tub into what I thought was a heated pool in the middle of winter earlier this year. It wasn't Probably wasn't even 43 but it still nearly caused me to lock up like a cartoon character (ETA: If I can prepare for it I actually enjoy swimming in cold water. I was NOT ready for it). Swimming any distance in that is impressive.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 4:13:34 PM EDT
[#36]

Not at 43 she wasn't.

Prolly nippy tho.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Badlatitude:
I assure you she was freezing

Not at 43 she wasn't.

Prolly nippy tho.

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 4:19:15 PM EDT
[#37]

43 degrees for 17 hours is absolutely impressive

I swam in my lake June 1st last year for a mile and that was pretty fucking cold.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 4:30:32 PM EDT
[#38]
43 degrees is the average temperature of rivers around here, in February-March.

IOW, it's really damn cold.

Online swimming calculator says she was burning around 11 kcal per minute... over 1000 minutes, that's 11,000.

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 4:33:32 PM EDT
[#39]

Not at 43 she wasn't.

Prolly nippy tho.
View Quote

you know how we know you don't ever do anything in cold water except look at it without you saying you never do anything in cold water except look at it?

I know I know, from your basement it doesn't seem cold at all does it?
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 4:37:17 PM EDT
[#40]
JFC that is impressive.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 4:50:41 PM EDT
[#41]

Ironman allows a wetsuit based on water temperature. So, it depends on the sport.
View All Quotes

I've yet to compete in a triathlon, Ironman or other, where wetsuits weren't allowed. Albeit, I don't really leave the PNW, but the water was °78 for my Olympic last summer and I wore mine.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 4:54:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Dang, the lengths some women will go to, to speak to a manager....
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 4:59:27 PM EDT
[#43]
That's amazing.  I can't believe 17 hours in 43-degree weather without a wetsuit didn't kill her.  I mean, sure, the exertion of swimming will keep your warm to a point, but for 17 fucking hours?  Wow.  

Honestly, I bet a skinny gal would have gotten hypothermia and would have had to quit.

ETA:  Despite several people being pedantic and pointing out that 43 degree isn't technically "freezing" - it is really, REALLY cold for swimming.  Even with a thick wetsuit, 43 degrees is extremely cold.  I'm a SCUBA diver, and I wouldn't get into 43 degree water in a 7mm wetsuit, even just for a short recreational dive.  17 hours?  Holy fuck.
View Quote

All of this. Very impressive.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 5:25:12 PM EDT
[#44]

View All Quotes

I was thinking more of cave and wreck divers, anyways.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 5:42:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jerrwhy01] [#45]
That's amazing.  I can't believe 17 hours in 43-degree weather without a wetsuit didn't kill her.  I mean, sure, the exertion of swimming will keep your warm to a point, but for 17 fucking hours?  Wow.  

Honestly, I bet a skinny gal would have gotten hypothermia and would have had to quit.

View Quote

I used to dive with a guy who wore board shorts and a t-shirt on every diver no matter the water temp. We’d go ice diving, I’d be in a dry suit and he’d be wearing board shorts and a t-shirt. We’d do a technical dive in the Great Lakes and I’d be diving dry and he’d be in a pair of board shorts and a t-shirt. It didn’t matter if you had a safety stop at 15 feet or we’re spending 20 minutes doing deco this guy never got cold. I think there are some people who simply don’t respond to cold water the way that us mere mortals do.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 5:49:18 PM EDT
[#46]
That is really impressive
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 5:50:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Why would a wetsuit not be permitted for those seeking recognition for open water swims? That seems to encourage people putting themselves into even more dangerous situations when the situation already has a considerable amount of danger.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 5:56:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 6:12:07 PM EDT
[#49]

I've yet to compete in a triathlon, Ironman or other, where wetsuits weren't allowed. Albeit, I don't really leave the PNW, but the water was °78 for my Olympic last summer and I wore mine.
View Quote

You've been to PNW?  We're originally from Seattle and have done the loop around Bainbridge. It's definitely worth a try, if you want to test yourself. Gotta warn you that it's 25 miles with water temps around the low 50s so colllddd.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 6:13:28 PM EDT
[#50]
I've gone temporarily color blind from hypothermia surfing in low 50s wearing a 3/2 fullsuit in New Zealand.  Also not built like a hippo.  I can soak in water that's 40s-50s wearing board shorts if I slowly acclimate and the air is warm (>80s)

Like climbing Everest, this is both impressive and stupid.  First thought is wow, second thought is why?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top