Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/14/2021 9:44:13 PM EDT
Tell me what's the hot shit in wireless routers these days?

My current Netgear WNDR3400V2 is like 10 years old. It works fine but I know things have changed.

Prefer one with a USB port for network file sharing/storage.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 9:49:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I upgraded my modem to this,

https://www.netgear.com/home/wifi/modems/cm1200/

...called Comcast to get the 1gb intranets signal, bought some cat8’s to connect to WiFi router (cat 6a is good enough)

This will be my next new WiFi router at end of year

https://www.netgear.com/home/wifi/routers/rax80/
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 9:49:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Ubiquiti
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 4:38:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ubiquiti
View Quote

Any specific setup?

I looked at the site and it looks modular and not exactly suited to home use.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 5:18:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Any specific setup?

View Quote

Look at the unifi dream machine if you just want to keep it simple. It's an all in one unit.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 5:40:53 AM EDT
[#5]
802.11ax, also known as Wi-Fi 6 routers, are now hitting the market with frequency. Wi-Fi 6 is an evolution of 802.11ac technology that promises increased throughput speeds (up to 9.6Gbps).

Of course, the Wi-Fi radio in your computer will need to be capable of it if you want to take advantage of its benefits.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 5:42:19 AM EDT
[#6]
In for answers. I need to upgrade mine as well.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 5:43:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Whatever you pick, go mesh. Love our Week setup.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 6:34:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Ubiquiti
View Quote
Do you still like them after their breach?

I like the idea, but would have to be able to disconnect from the cloud.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 6:36:31 AM EDT
[#9]
eero
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 7:43:20 AM EDT
[#10]
I upgraded min to the newest and best Asus and it won't support Proton VPN.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 8:40:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I upgraded min to the newest and best Asus and it won't support Proton VPN.
View Quote

That's a killer.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 8:42:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Ubiquiti.  I like the dream machine pro as it also works as a video recorder for their cameras.  Just make sure you configure two factor auth ;)
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 9:00:28 AM EDT
[#13]
My Netgear AC2600 bricked itself during a firmware update last Sunday. Spent a couple hours trying to get it back with no joy.

Bought a TP-Link 3000 something. No complaints.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 9:10:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Just hooked up a Netgear Nighthawk mesh system, so far works great.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 9:13:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 10:10:40 AM EDT
[#16]
These high speed wireless devices like the synology, promise 2.5Gbps wireless speed, but the WAN (hardwired) port is still a 1Gbps connection. So while you are getting "high speed" wireless, this is only as fast as the slowest point of your network. Basically if all your wireless devices all operate ant the peak wireless speed, then you will get high speed file transfers device to device, but probably won't see much of an improvement of your internet access speed.

Example: 802.11ax is for high density areas (a lot of devices connecting), like free wifi at a mall or a restaurant, so its overkill for a house with 10-20 devices.

What kind of internet throughput are getting with your wireless now?
What is your current router?

Just food for thought that you may not see too much of an improvement of internet speed by upgrading to the latest and greatest wireless.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 10:15:36 AM EDT
[#17]
I just bought a TP-Link Archer ax1800 it is a major upgrade from my old router that was 10 years old.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 10:41:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Wifi cancer
will kill us all.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 10:47:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes.  Change password, 2FA.  I haven't looked because mine is set up already, but I think you can set it up without being cloud connected.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 10:51:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Ubiquiti
View Quote

I have loved all of the items I have from them.

As a company that want to be super-secretive about their data breach 2 weeks ago...... well, makes me not so sure to trust them anymore.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 10:55:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I just bought a TP-Link Archer ax1800 it is a major upgrade from my old router that was 10 years old.
View Quote

got the Archer 6 AC1200. Cheap and capable.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 10:55:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same here - decent hardware considering TPLink but I am happy with mine.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 10:57:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
802.11ax, also known as Wi-Fi 6 routers, are now hitting the market with frequency. Wi-Fi 6 is an evolution of 802.11ac technology that promises increased throughput speeds (up to 9.6Gbps).

Of course, the Wi-Fi radio in your computer will need to be capable of it if you want to take advantage of its benefits.
View Quote

This.  Try to get the latest standard you can get, even if your existing clients aren't there (yet).  Also, hang on to your old router.  If you are able to physically run a wire to it from your main router, and set it in another room; you can easily turn it into an access point to your main network.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 11:02:07 AM EDT
[#24]
I have 3 TP Link Deco M5s in my house and love them, the do very well and are simple to setup and manage.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 11:03:04 AM EDT
[#25]
I'm using a TP link but the USB storage option software sucks ass. The network printing works well, but file sharing to the network from an attached USB is meh, it's so cobbled up I don't use it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 11:11:54 AM EDT
[#26]
I've got an older Nighthawk R7000. It's running DD-WRT and is awesome. When my internet speeds get faster than my router can handle, maybe I'll upgrade. But I have Xfinity, so I'm probably safe for a while.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 11:12:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Any specific setup?

View Quote

Amplifi FTW!
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 11:15:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Unifi Dream Machine; powerful and will receive software and security updates for many years.  Consumer trash routers often use the same OEM chipsets and many brands are vulnerable when an exploit is found.  You're lucky to get any firmware updates after your model goes end of life.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 11:19:20 AM EDT
[#29]
How loud is the UDM Pro?

I've got a couple of Unifi AP's running with just a cloudkey, but I've really been thinking hard about a UDM or UDM Pro.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 11:21:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
How loud is the UDM Pro?

I've got a couple of Unifi AP's running with just a cloudkey, but I've really been thinking hard about a UDM or UDM Pro.
View Quote

IDK, mine lives in the basement.  I never hear it when I'm down there screwing around with the car/bikes.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 11:22:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I need to upgrade mine as well.
View Quote

Why?  If the answer isn't related to gaming over wireless on a new device or transferring huge amounts of data over wireless from or two a new device, there really is no reason to upgrade.  It's already been mentioned that the radio in your device is still using the older technology and will not benefit.   New devices will be backwards compatible and work fine with even 10 year old technology.  

Link Posted: 4/15/2021 11:23:58 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Any specific setup?

View Quote

I have a Unifi UDM Pro and 3 of their APs.  works beautifully.  UDM Pros is very nice with it's features.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 11:27:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Unless you live in a high density tower apartment or a crowded mixed use shopping center, Wi-Fi 6 isn't going to do much for you as a home user.

Sure it is a little faster in theory, but the real advantage is massive multiuser environments.

My AC HD Wave 2 AP's can already handle 500+ clients, and I don't plan on hosting any parties that big out here.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 11:28:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I upgraded my modem to this,

https://www.netgear.com/home/wifi/modems/cm1200/

...called Comcast to get the 1gb intranets signal, bought some cat8’s to connect to WiFi router (cat 6a is good enough)

This will be my next new WiFi router at end of year

https://www.netgear.com/home/wifi/routers/rax80/
View Quote

why wait?
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 11:54:03 AM EDT
[#35]
Ebay

Rukus unleashed

If you install more than one, one acts as the controller and will fail over automatically. They destroy anything else on the market as far as speed is concerned.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 12:17:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ubiquiti

If you kept your accounts local, it's not an issue. Lazy fucks with a couple devices using a cloud account deserve what they get.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 12:22:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
How loud is the UDM Pro?

View Quote

Mine is dead silent. It’s sitting in my living room. I can hear the fan from the small Dell pc occasionally spool up but so far nothing on the dream machine pro, and even that fan requires nothing else in the house making noise to hear it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 3:06:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Ubiquiti
View Quote

Yeah... No.    The cloud crap and marketing crap they shove down your throat with the dream machines is a non-starter for me.  Not to mention their sketchy handling of the recent security breach.

Unifi APs are great, but use something else for the router..  I like OPNsense on an old PC.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 5:03:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Yeah... No.    The cloud crap and marketing crap they shove down your throat with the dream machines is a non-starter for me.  Not to mention their sketchy handling of the recent security breach.

Unifi APs are great, but use something else for the router..  I like OPNsense on an old PC.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ubiquiti

I actually have dumped even their AP's at home.  I'm now using Ruckus Unleashed and couldn't be happier.  I just got fed up with the painful troubleshooting with their UniFi products.  I still use their 10Gb SFP+ EdgeSwitch though as my core switch at home.

Untangle, OPNsense, pfSense, etc are all good options for your gateway as well.  I prefer Untangle as Policy Based Routing, tagging, NGFW capabilities, and ease of use make it simple for pretty much anyone to learn.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 5:11:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Good thread so far. Lots of info to consider.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 5:16:13 PM EDT
[#42]
I have a Netgear Nighthawk. Quite happy with it.

Nighthawk R6700
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 5:18:09 PM EDT
[#43]
I forgot to mention that Ubiquiti's support and warranty are absolutely fucking horrible  I stopped even trying to get either from them and their warranty is only 1 year from the date of production on the device rather than the purchase date

Ruckus has a lifetime warranty on their hardware.  I grabbed my AP's off of Provantage when they decided to blow out some R310's for some reason at $91 each.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 5:22:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Before you buy anything, check out this site: https://openwrt.org/
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 5:26:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Nothing, get a real router and add access points.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 5:41:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Before you buy anything, check out this site: https://openwrt.org/
View Quote

This. I use DD-WRT, but it's the same general idea. The various opensource firmware packages are really powerful.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 6:09:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
eero
View Quote
eero Pro

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Link Posted: 4/15/2021 6:12:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 6:27:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 6:32:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Not exactly on point, but I've had a ton of trouble with my setup.  I have a new Spectrum modem and a new Nighthawk router.  My office computer is hardwired to the router.  I remote into that PC daily.  We spent the first 10 weeks of the year in our southern home and I had to have my daughter go the the house to reboot the devices.  I found a device which I think is called "NetReset".  Every night it reboots your modem and router, firing up the router after your modem has had time to get started.  So far so good.  Just an FYI, I never knew such a thing existed.  For my combo unit down south I put in a conventional digital timer that simply reboots the single device every night a 3AM.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top